Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Aug 5, 2008.

1. I opened a thread on another forum since it was discussing copper bolus. A member asked if there was another way to give copper instead of doing the copper bolus. Another member replied with this link.
    http://www.u-sayranch.com/goats/coppersulfate.html

So whats your thoughts on that?

Btw- Are there any other places that sell a small quanitity of the Copasure bolus? -Thanks! :)

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would say a couple of things :)

First if you live in Austrailia where Irene does and you admire her stock, than I would follow what she does.

That this website is bunk...if you want to learn about copper defficency in goats you should be reading and copying all of saanendoah.com before it goes down. They did stuides on real goats, over a thousand. Liver biopsies etc..to find out the real information. This site has taken all this information and made it there own with none of the work. Do they even give Joyce L credit for this? Vicki

3. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Actually, Irene Ramsey is in New Zealand, not Australia. She is not against copper bolusing, but she learned to help her own goats some 40 years ago with this method of using copper sulfate before copper bolusing was ever around. I have seen lots of goats helped by it (even my own) and once the owners understand that their goats are deficient they generally switch to using boluses on their animals. Bolusing is simply more efficient and it is safer than using the sulfate on an ongoing basis. Irene says that herself, and I don't know why usayu ranch has chosen to only put this information up. That's her choice-.

If you look at the copper bolusing information you will see studies that talk about it's safety and efficacy for curing copper deficiency. All of that is documented information that needs to be read and studied. I have not seen personally seen any toxicity issues associated with the 1 % method, simply, I suppose, because it is a small amount of copper administered over a number of weeks. However, if you look at Pat Colby's books she is using huge amounts and I do know of a number of cases of poisoning because of that.

But there is no reason to use copper sulfate if bolusing is better and safer. It took me a long time to see that and understand it but it's very hard to get people to see it that way once they have read Colby's books and are getting acres usa.

I would also point out that copper bolusing has known safety levels and using copper sulfate does not. It's always guess work.

Many thanks to Vicki and all the other experienced breeders here who are knowledgeable enough to point out the problems and "unknowns" with this method. :D

4. Janelle

Janelle New Member

5. Thank for that link Janelle :)

Thanks for replying. Just curious to your thoughts on that site I came across on another forum.

6. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Really appreciate that link!

Tamera

7. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Well, I just ordered the Copasure there the other day. Since I only have 3 goats right now, I didn't want to order a bunch.
    I ordered the herbal wormer too. I just want to try it for myself. I will be doing fecals before & then checking them to see if
    it works for me. :blush2

Other than that, I don't have much experience w/ stuff sold there. But my friend buys stuff there, and really likes it.

8. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

By the way, what forum was this?

9. I sent you a PM [email protected] :) I wasn't sure if I should post the forum on here or not.