Young Doe that periodically throws up....What can I do? ... What can it be?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:help

I have a question for you experienced ones, a very worrisome one. One of my 10 mos olds, Rissa, started throwing up periodically. It would be very frothy and she would have to stand there and shake her head and try to breathe and cough up more yuck. Each episode lasts between two and 10 minutes. The first time this happened I had picked her up to place her over a low fence. I had one arm across her chest and the other behind her back legs. I figured maybe I choked her putting her down.

Ever since then I've only noticed her throwing up every so often right when grain time begins, not usually just the rare occasion. One or two bites and she's standing off and still throwing up frothy stuff for a while while the others eat. After a few minutes she is back to normal. I've only noticed this during meal times. I'm very worried about her. What could this be? Is it serious? What can I do for her? It is definitely not contagious as she is the only one that does it. And she did not always. Only since August did I notice her beginning this. And since that time I've only noticed it maybe 6 or 7 times. Could it be the jarring she gets at feed time?

I have since placed her and two other younger does apart from the bossy ones so they can have a chance to eat in relative peace.

I hope it is not serious. She's fine before and after. No other signs of sickness. Thanks.

-Kim

2. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

I'm not all that experienced, but I do have a goat that seemed to be throwing up at grain time. But, with closer observation we saw that she is eating SO fast that she can't swallow properly. If you find that you are having the same problem, you have to find a way to get her to eat more slowly. You could just give her food a bite at a time or you could find some large rocks that she couldn't possible choke on and put those in her food. She will have to eat the food from around them which will slow her down. This has worked for us. Also, make sure that she is not in a position where she has to compete for food if possible.

That is just our experience, but someone that knows more should pipe in here if they're around.

Christina

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

She was having to compete as it was complete madness at grain time. I have since moved her and two other younger ones away from those that used to harass them at meal time. She was one that seemed to inhale her food. Thanks for the tips on using a rock or other object to slow it down.

Edit: What you have said fits the situation she was in just two days ago, perfectly. I hope that is all it is. Perhaps now that things will be a lot less hectic for her she'll not feel the need to inhale her food. I feel better but, like you, I am waiting to see what others will say on this as well. The more insight, the better. Thanks! :)

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

She is eating too fast and choking herself. I have had this happen with older does that guts down their grain...and then do exactly what your doe does. Since feeding alfalfa pellets 3:1 mixed with grain...it no longer happens as they aren't as crazy about it. You need to get her to slow down as she eats.

5. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I also increased the Alfalfa pellets when I moved them two days ago. Perhaps things will now improve. I am happy that this is all it may be. I'll still keep track of her but I am not as worried anymore. Thank you very much, both of you.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure collars aren't too tight. Make sure that nothing is hitting their throat when putting their head in the feeders. If they can't reach well, than put a cinder block down for front feet to stand on. Because they don't have to chew their grain to swallow it and not choke, it goes right into the rumen and then is cudded back up and is when they will chew. They may break the alfalfa pellets up a little, but goats are more vacume cleaners with grain than chewing their grain like horses do, especially when there is competition at the feed trough right now.

7. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Vicki. There is no more competition in the feed trough as of three days ago because I was able to move things about so they can be separate from the older, bossy ones. They can reach inside the container just fine and her collar is quite loose. And yes, LOL, a few do seem to inhale their food. The littlest one that is having terrible weight issues, IMO, was a very dainty eater and very timid besides.

The young does are now in the buck pen. The buck is temporarily in the kidding pen until other pens can be built within the next two months. Yicks! I need to get this done fast way before kidding time. But at least the young does can not get bullied anymore. I should have done that long ago. :bang

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

An Alpine that is a dainty eater! :lol That never used to happen around here when I had that breed. I've seen young goats do what you describe. It's always been when they have been competing for grain. Kathie

9. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

When I say dainty I only compare her to the others. :) She is quite timid though. Not shy, just sweet.

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I had some kid's choke and gag on alfalfa pellets so I bought them some of the bag cut alfalfa and mix it with their goat pellets ... they are fat and happy now.

11. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:) That is nice Linda. I had placed the young does apart from the older ones in their own pen about three days ago now. Today I sat through their feeding, well most of it. And the older does were still beating each other up. The three younger does were so much calmer it was night and day. They were not choking today and even today I saw a marked difference, if but a small one, in the littlest doe's tummy size. I was so pleased! :biggrin

12. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

We have a locked pen area in the barn that we have goat pellet feed in at all times set out for the kids in a automatic dog feeder ,the kids go thru the gate rails and eat whenever they want to . ;)

13. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi Kim,
    glad to see the problem seems to be fixed. Those older does can be very witchy. We have lots of room at feeding time. I feed outside unless it is raining and there seems to be less competition. I also soak my beet pulp in hot water, drain well, and mix in with their feed. I don't use a lot, definately make sure it's not soggy, and I think it helps with gulping and choking, at least for us. I don't like leaving wet feed in the feeders, but used with just the feed they normally consume at one time, it works very well, and they really seem to enjoy it, especially in this freezing cold weather we are having. Of course, my girls will eat plain soaked beet pulp too, so you could try that first, before the grain to take the edge off their appetite. Right now I am also mixing their grain with their alfalfa pellets, and that also seems to slow them down.
    Hope you and your goaties are staying warm up there in NY.
    Anita

14. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Anita- Right now our actual temperature at 8:30am is minus 8, but the goats are all locked up and cozy in the barn. TONS of snow too. Suppose to get warmer though. I hope so. As for mixing their grain in with the A.Pellets. I do that too. :) It helps with the younger ones but the older ones would fight over nails if they got the chance. Yicks! lol I've got to do something different for them too. Perhaps a trough style feeder for them instead of a "bowl" style would be better.