Young buck losing hair

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Alpine Haven Farm, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone can advise me as to what could be the problem with a young LaMancha buck (approx. 7 months old) that is losing hair around his neck area (more or less becoming very thin) and then somewhat on the middle of his back, but not too bad. I've just noticed this within the last 1-2 weeks.

He otherwise appears to be very healthy. I've owned him about 3 months and he's been wormed about 1 month ago with Zimecterin. I intend to have a fecal done as soon as I can get a sample in to the vet, just haven't been able to manage that yet. He is given free choice grass hay, approx. 1 cup of grain per day with a/c added to it. Also fed free choice Purina Goat Mineral with Kelp added, Diamond V-XPC Yeast product and Baking Soda. That's about it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Don't ya' just hate me? :biggrin
    Answering a question with a question....
    Does he run his head and neck through the fence or stock panel?

My bucks have thin long hair on their backs...but they've also not been clipped back in the summer & Fall. Now, I'm not sure about Nubians...but swiss have a "mane" on their necks and down their backs. The hair is longer here than anywhere else. (Well, except for the feathers on the backs of their hind legs.)
    Kaye

3. Alpine Haven Farm

I almost said no to your question as he's kept in a large chain link enclosure that's 6ft tall...but then I realized he's got a several shelters in his pen, one of them being a dog house. I guess he could be scraping his hair on that as he goes in ....since it's definitely too short for him? Hmmm... of course I hadn't even thought of that one! :blush2 Since it's supposed to be the "dog's house", not his! Maybe I'd better check the dog house out and see if there's any hair scrapings to give me an idea... that would actually be a relief!

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin I had an Obie buck last year that kept loosing hair-bald- on both sides of his rib cage. I scratched my head nearly bald trying to figure that one out.
    Finally caught the problem! His hay feeder was made out of stock panel 3'x4' hung at an angle on his fence. He was able to rear up and squeeze between the panel and fence to eat his hay. DUH...he was rubbing his sides on the panel as he stood there eating hay! Sewed up the space between feeder and hay with wire...his hair grew back.
    Kaye

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

don't have any suggestions for your hairless buck, but just wanted to say hi to a fellow Missourian! what area are you from?

-Melissa

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

If that isn't the cause then I would give him a shot of Ivermectin Sub q at 1 cc/100# and dust him with Co Ral mite dust that you can get at the feed store.

7. Alpine Haven Farm

Hi Melissa.... I'm in Hillsboro, just south of St. Louis.

And I'm not familiar with the Co-Ral? And I even work in my brother's feed store! Do you know who it is made by? Or what the chemical is? Would Sevin Dust work (that's what I've used for lice/mites for chickens before).

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Something similar is going on with a friend's young Saanen. She checked him over and found lice. He was dusted but his hair is slow growing back. I know with my bucks, they like to rub on things when they are in rut. They also pee all over themselves and lose hair on their legs.
    We use a livestock dust with pyrithrin. It comes in a yellow shaker and is made by Durvet.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Zimecterin is 1.87% ivermectin.
    If it's lice....you can see them. Just rub your hand backwards against his hair and you will see them running. Yes, sevin will work. Co-ral dust is a cattle insecticide mostly used in dust bags for them.
    Kaye

10. Alpine Haven Farm

Thanks for all the help everyone. I know I have the Sevin Dust on hand already for the chickens so maybe I'll go ahead and dust him and the premises with that, just in case in not the dog house rubbing the hair off.