Yogurt question

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Thermopkt, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Can you make yogurt with milk straight out of the goat and still have it taste good? Or will it taste like a goat? Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is the only way I ever make yogurt so not sure what else you would do with it.

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I didn't know if it should be chilled first, as for drinking type milk, or if you could do it straight out of the goat without it becoming 'goaty'. And I hate to waste milk experimenting when I know you all have 'been there, done that'. Reinventing the wheel and all that, you know. ;)

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've been making yogurt with milk straight from the goat for quite a while now, it's a bit on the thin side but had a wonderful flavor.. but then, I got some cultures from Cheesemaking.com and decided to try it their way. Heated the milk to 180*, cooled to 116* added the culture and put it in my yogurt maker.. well, it came out much thicker, but a bit on the tangy side.
    ?
    I'm not sure what that's all about, but I like it better the way I was doing it, with fresh warm milk straight from the goat!

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Try backing off of the culture a little. I have found if I add too much it makes it too tangy. However, I use yogurt from the grocery for my starter - and when you add too much - it always turns out tangy....

6. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Oh, you mean I should actually measure?! (gasp of horror)

I'll keep an eye on that, thanks. Mostly, though, I just wanted to know if could skip the step of cooling milk before making something with it, or if that was necessary for everything. Thanks a bunch guys, really!

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I don't think I've ever purposely cooled it before making something with it.. ok, except for breakfast milk on my cereal! :biggrin Most of my cheeses etc.. are raw milk cheeses made fresh and warm from the goat!