Yet another horse wormer question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Aug 15, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I tried searching (I love search bars on forums that actually work, like this one!!), but could not come up with just what I was looking for!

I have seen that Valbazen, seems to be the tapewormer of choice (I love that they are referred to as Wormers by most people...I had a young cousin ask why we give horses a wormer if we want to get rid of the worms. She then went on to ask if we are putting one big worm in to get rid of all the little ones!) Anyway back to the question. Valbazen seems to be tapewormer of choice. I have seen white things in poos of Daisy (7month old LM) she is the only one I have seen anything in the poos of (been watching the other 2 like a hawk). From reading the only thing you can see if poos is tapeworms, so I figure I need to take care of these. I searched for Valbazen to see if there was a horse wormer equivalent (I need to worm my horses again and according to the schedule I am going to ditch once I learn to fecal it is tapeworm deworming time). When I search Valbazen I got taken to the Jeffer's website...so I copied and pasted the other name that goes with it into their search bar and it brought up Safegaurd...I have read safegaurd is essentially useless in most places. There haven't been goats on this place for something like 15-20 years (not sure if that makes a different) I don't think Safegaurd is one of the wormers used for tapes in horses...so I am wondering what should I get for Daisy. (Would prefer a horse wormer as I need these anyway and at the moment I can't afford the Cydectin or other pricier wormers...)

Thanks,
    Sarah

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Valbazen is albendazole, which is similar to but not the same as SafeGaurd (fenbendazole). However, the guide I have says that fenbendazole is also effective against tapeworms.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would use the safegard if your just worried abt tapes but if you haven't done any fecals at all then being in TX you should!!

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I haven't done fecals...as I have no microscope, just got them, haven't had goats before. I am working on figuring out who to take samples to...can I take them to a cat/dog vet or would I need to take to a livestock vet? What about an equine vet?

Thanks,
    Sarah

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sarah any vet can do fecals for you just call around and ask or use Cristine or Vicki's vet if your close enough I perfer a farm animal vet myself as they seem to take at least somewhat interest in goats :)

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I'll check around see what I can find...the nearest farm vet (non horse or pet only) is in Navasota about an hour from me.