yet another CL question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just out of curiosity what if you have a doe with CL and you drink the milk?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't believe Cl is passed thru the milk however you could contact the germs being around the goat. thus getting it yourself or getting the germs into the milk thru handling. This is why Vicki always says Isolate, use gloves when handling the goat and put last on the milk line.

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My understanding is if they have an abcess in the udder internally it can burst and the puss will be in the milk, so you could get it that way.

4. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

From what I have read, CL can be passed in milk, especially if there are abscesses within the udder. CL is Zoonotic, and can be passed from animal species to humans. Read more here http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cl/cl2.shtml

Kelly :)

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I stand corrected I wasn't sure abt passing thru the milk except if the abscess was in the udder. Thanks for the link Kelly

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nonsense, and goatworld that's like walkapedia :)

The idea that you would have CL in the udder? There are no lymph nodes. I do believe that you could have an abscess on the body where the bacteria initially enters the body, but not once CL is in the body. It's a disease of the lymphatic system and although lymph nodes are in the armpit near the udder like with us, it is not in it. So it bursting in the udder? into the milk? Na. Another one in a million.

Our stomach acids, like with kids is pretty tough for a bacteria to then infect us, especially if it was a burst abscess, that wouldn't be alot of bacteria for the volume of milk, hypothetically. Most pass of this disease is with the exude from the abscess. It's not even passed in the blood except in labs.

Zoonic means it's capable of being passed from/to any warm blooded mammal, but in the milk? Not likely, yes if it was a virus. Vicki

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

That makes sense Vicki, because you would really expect ot see more people getting it. I know a woman near here the sold raw milk out of CL and CAE infected goats.

8. NubianSoaps.com

Yes considering that Scotia my CL positive doe from back in the day came from there :) She and her husband split up and he sold out all her goats...some ended up here, sold by a third party. I didn't know this until way after the fact. (Scotia's daughter did very well at a major show).

She also was one of the proponets that all does would become positive on the milkstring if a CAE positive doe was in the group. We now know this is not true, but it's hard to get out of old ways of thinking.......because one plus one equals it must be passing via milking equipment.

One trip to the dairy and you also knew (back then) there was alot more passing from sloppy management than from living in the milkstring. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well am glad to hear this, as my first instinct was indeed correct. Thanks for clearing that up Vicki

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Vicki, you do know everyone, don't you? LOL. When we were looking for our first goats, that was the first place we ended up. Thankfully I knew to ask about CAE and CL, though I knew nothing about them really, just that you don't want them. Yes, she did kinda act like it was impossible to stay CAE free, but I wasn't quite buying it. Gave me some real confusion in the beginning, but we got some nice clean does to start with instead, it cost over twice as much, but well worth it!

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Here is yet another question...

When you cull a CL positive animal (by lab results) can that animal be butchered for human consumption?

12. NubianSoaps.com

Yes, the abscess can easily be cut around they are obvious on the carcass. This is done everyday in every sheep and goat slaughter house. And no when we put our does down who had CL we did not eat the meat if we found internal abscess...ICK!!! vicki

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yeah, thats what I did with the two does I had years ago who turned up with an abcess two weeks after I bought them. We butchered and ate them as they had no internal abcesses.