Yearling FF Aborted

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Feb 29, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Came home today at 4pm to find that our yearling FF had aborted twins-a buckling and a doeling. :sniffle She was due on March 12th...only thirteen days away. She was fine this morning. Ate her breakfast when out with the others. Completely by surprise.

Temp is 104.2. She has not passed her placenta in the two and a half hours I was down with her. We milked her out. Gave her molasses water. She was eating hay, alfalfa pellets. Last night I gave her 30cc CMPK watered down with a little molasses and again this morning. She was the one I thought has bent leg (earlier post). And also one of my does that has been coughing her entire pregnancy despite deworming with Ivomec Plus and Levamisole. She has had discharge throughout but clear and minimal. Mostly stuck to her tail.

What else should I do for her? Why would this happen. I have been on top of feeding, minerals, vaccines, dewormings, everything. Do I need to worry about my other bred does...they are due March 12, March 17, April 22 and June.

:down

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I'm having my first doe a FF due in March. I don't know the answers to your questions but wanted to give my deepest sympathies to you. I would be absolutely crushed if mine lost hers. So sorry. I hope you get your answers. To me (in my inexperience) it sounded like you did all you could have done. :sniffle

-Kim

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Did you have any pink eye at all?? or think someone butted her good?
    I would get everyone else on tera bac /tetracyline crumbles until they freshen. just to be safe. I also would give this doe some oxy if she doen't pass the placenta.
    Sorry this happened

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Still hasn't passed her placenta. We are going down to check on the half hour. No pink eye. I don't think she was butted. Our most aggressive doe bites at ears and may chase a bit but nothing too bad. Can I give Biomycin injectable instead of crumbles? I know they are different but that's what I have on hand and my goats are picky, picky! I'd hate to buy something and have it wasted. Thank you for the information. Last night my huband and I saw her babies moving...not a moving gut, but her babies. Sad.

5. Most likly from being butted. Do bring her into milk. Since she kidded early it will take longer for her placenta to drop but it should be showing soon.
    Sorry this happened.
    Becky

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

We had this happen to one of our FF yearlings last year. She was a month early. Went into normal labour. I actually thought I must have my breeding dates a month off until I saw the feet that were presented. They were no bigger than my finger. The kids had legs like pencils, no hair, and were about the size of my hand. Buck and doe twins. Very alive and making little mewling noises. Just heartbreaking to have to put them down.
    No reason for it that I knew of. Sometimes its just out of your hands. :sigh I am so sorry........

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks everyone. Ironically, we were headed down to the barn to begin dairy clips! She hadn't passed her placenta last night before I went to bed. I massaged and put pressure in front of her udder. Hopefully this morning it will be passed. Then I can clip her hairy rear and udder and see what we have! We plan to milk her. Began in the stall last night.

I would still like to know if I can use injectable instead of crumbles. I really think this was an isolated occurance. Will never know what happened.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Bio-mycin (oxytetracycline 200mg/ml) is given at 3cc/100 twice a day for at least 5 days. In abortion storms...(one 1 does not constitute an abortion storm) it is recommended to give oxytetracycline injections for 10 days then start on the feed through until all does have kidded. Even this has not stopped some storms.
    Kaye

9. Emily,
    a few years ago we had a doe kid a month early after fighting with alive buck doe twins just like you. The kids were alive but very dopey, coma like. I wrapped them in warm towels in a box and let them die in peace, they seemed to go into a coma and die maybe 15 minutes later. No struggling. They were perfeclty formed and tiny, so cute :(
    Becky

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she the only doe coughing and the only doe due? Is she new to the heard this year? Mycoplasma can cause late term abortion like this and cough, usually at least some eye or nose (weeping or snot) even if it is minor. But that would have been 3 or 4 months ago. Vicki

11. susie

susie New Member

I'm so sad this happened to you-- seems to be a rough year--
    :(
    Susie

12. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

"Is she the only doe coughing and the only doe due?" No. Two does coughing now both the FF, three does due in March.

"Is she new to the heard this year?" We bought her in Feb 07 as a week old from our breeder. I only have five does, my total herd.

"Mycoplasma can cause late term abortion like this"

"Cough, usually at least some eye or nose (weeping or snot) even if it is minor." Nothing, just a dry cough (&toot). Dewormed with Ivomec Plus, Levamisole, too. Did vit C, E, Vet RX.

"But that would have been 3 or 4 months ago" ??? What, the aborting? or snots and weepy eyes? Neither has happened here.

Other two does are doing fine, no temps, nothing abnormal. Doe is doing okay. Temp is normal. Crying for babies. Crying for us. Passed her placenta after a dose of Oxytocin. Milking her twice a day. Good on the stand, surprisingly Teeny teats! Very difficult to milk but milk flows easily! I cannot remember at what point they go from teeny teats to a good size?

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sorry about the kids.

I have/had some tiny teated milkers. Some take months to become easier to milk and some don't take all that long at all. Stay with it. As you get stronger it gets easier. By the second freshening it is easier for sure. But even this year, her teats will become more milkable before you know it, don't give up.

14. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Well, I hope sooner than later. She's killing us! We have to tag team her to get her milked! In three years, I cannot remember such tiny teats or when they changed in size. We are hopeful and all sore armed! :)

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

While I was out there milking this morning, I was consciously aware that my arms and hands did not hurt. I could not believe it. As the old timers on this forum will tell you, I have had several years of complaining about some of my tiny teated does. They had small teats with high capacity udders and they took at least 30 minutes each to milk out and I was milking 4 or 5 at a time. My hands and arms would become laden with lactic acid and would burn, for months this went on.

Today I realized that I had only been milking for less than two weeks and my arms and hands have never hurt. I am milking 2 right now, but one is a tiny teated FF. It has taken 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 to get to the point where my hands, arms and chest can take it. And I am not a tiny or weak woman. So hang in there.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Diane, it hurts my hands just looking at Mica's little teats on her very full colostrum udder (due this weekend). Other than at shows where I pay others to milk her :) I hook her up to the milking machine to even milk colostrum....and this is her 4th lactation! vicki

17. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Swede Farm's Kelton, our buck, is the sire of this years crop of FF. Three will be kidding in April...already their teats are larger than the generation before them. I am very happy and exited by what I am seeing even now on their just-now-filling-out-udders. A visible improvement in teat length and circumference. They look like they will be easier to milk. :D