Yard problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Caprine Beings, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

We are currently having a water retention problem with all of the moisture we have gotten lately. I have been putting fresh straw down for about a week now to try to soak it all up but daily removal and replacement is getting old. We added some drain tubes, but alas the boys tore them down :sigh. It is only in the boy's pen. We are working on a new pen for them but $$$ only comes in so fast. Is there any other way besides straw, aerating the ground or gravel that would help? I have dug drainoff trenches but the boys just mess them all up-causing water to go else where. Thanks Tammy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tammy my drain off ditch on the north side of my barn, where 40x40 foot of roof drains, is about 2 to 3 feet deep and 3 feet wide, no way can the boys or anyone else mess this up. Shovel, then use the dirt you dig out of the ditch to build up areas that need it. Plus it's free. vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you can also bury pvc with hole in it

4. Caprine Beings

Sweet hubby and I were talking of putting gravel in a ditch just like you were talking about and having it run off towards the garden since it is a mild down hill slope anyway. Would help the soil in that area. If I used PVC I could catch the murky muck for the beds above and out front! Must brainstorm more, I have visions now:). Tammy

5. shawhee

shawhee Member

Straw will not soak up much. I would do as Vicki and build/dig a trench. For the areas that are a mess, you can get a tree trimming company to come in (most times for free) and dump the wood chips. They have to pay to dump these if they take to a dump so you are actually helping them. And the wood chips over time help amend some sticky soils, and in the interim they help to absorb moisture. I have done this several times over the last 8 years here for my horse pastures. They used to sink up to their hocks in black gumbo. Now they dont even get their pasterns muddy hardly.

Shawna

6. Caprine Beings

Thanks Shawna, I know the straw only picks up a small amount of water, but at least they aren't swimming in muck. I'll try some tree service companys but around here I'm sure they want me to pay...anything for a buck nowadays. I could just purchase some chips from the mill. Won't it burr down into their coats though? I really don't want to be out there attempting to brush Mr. Stinky two times a day :nooo. Tammy

7. shawhee

shawhee Member

The ones I used were not big chips - they used a shredder. Imagine between wood chips you can buy for mulch and shavings. They are between the two, not small enough to be shavings but not big enough to be wood chips.

Shawna

8. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Think I'd start w/a trench, then as money affords, do a french drain. They sell the perforated pipe (black, flexible) in 100 foot rolls at Lowe's. You can also get sleeves for them so that the holes don't get clogged with gunk. That would be the next thing to go in the trench, followed by gravel. We had some pretty bad drainage problems around our house, and that has helped immensely. We just used pea gravel out of a creek, nothing too expensive.

9. Caprine Beings

Well we got more rain today so I went out and pitchforked the yard. Seemed to really help the water go down. So I guess I'll be doing that twice a year too. Tammy