Yard lights causing delayed heats?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I just got this thought today. Only two of my girls have come into heat that I know of. We did have a couple of incidences of the buck jumping the fence, and I saw two older girls in heat and he bred them...that was fine. However, I have FIVE other does, one is a ff yearling, and the other four are 2008 does. I know what a doe in heat does and how they act blah blah blah. I know there is a possibility they are bred....but the possibility that all FIVE are bred without any signs of all of coming into heat seems a little off to me. (Their barn is only about 50 feet from the house, and their beloved paddock area is a mere 20 feet from my back door.) I can see them from any room of the house except the bathroom and my bedroom. I spend 2 or 3 hours out there every single night, and time in the morning too. Okay, back to the thought I was thinking. Does anyone know if it is possible for a large yellow floresent light, placed very close to the goat paddock and even shining into the stall somewhat, on a timer to come on at dusk, to trick the does into thinking it is earlier in the year than it is, and not yet time to come into heat? Our buck has not been affected, although he is not as close to the light. His stall is probably darker.
    Just wondering if this is a possibility? This light was just installed this past winter, so this light was not in question last year.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Rose

Rose New Member

I know they use lights to regulate hormones in horses and chickens. Dunno if there's been research done on goats.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

YEP! Works the same in goats. Light manipulation. If I were you...and had access to the timer...I'd either turn it off all together or I'd have it coming on a lot later than it does now, or move the girls so they are in darkness.

If it wasn't illegal...I'd use the 22 on the blasted city slicker's night watcher that moved in and are afraid of the dark. Oh,brother...let's move to the country, but light up the whole world so we don't get mugged by a rabid squirrel. :? I moved my does to the paddock behind the barn where their night watcher doesn't shine in.
    Kaye

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH gosh I never thought of that and my neighbor has both back and front with those high beam lights which really light up most of my whole area.

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Only half of my does have cycled at all so far. Out of 20, I have 10 bred....and none of my 2008 doelings have cycled yet.

I have no lights on at night at all, so I don't have that excuse!

Tracy

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

I have my does pen right by my pole light in the pasture. All of mine have cycled at least once and most of them twice. So I am not sure if it is the light but I know that not one of them started until it got much cooler at night. I know that does not help, but it has not affected my girls, but it is not really bright - and they do have dark areas in their pen.

Shawna

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I think all my does are bred. and I even have a pesky neighbor with a yard light.

8. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

My young stock is just now starting to come into heat. A few January born Boers have come into heat and been bred, but the dairy does are taking their sweet potato time. No lights here (yeah!). Oh, how I hated living in town with all of those driveway lights glaring in the patio door windows.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Funny thing to me, but Langston,UC Davis, Penn State, WSU, and other repro. facilities, use light manipulation and even reccomends it.??

But then again...what do I know? I've been known to use drugs, keep my does in the dark, and use repro. manipulation and still get does bred by Dec. Hmmm....
    Kaye

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's a quite common question this year....."Vicki do you have does in heat yet?" so don't feel alone it is going on everywhere.

"We did have a couple of incidences of the buck jumping the fence"

But one buck jumping the fence and breeding without you noticeing for even a few hours can give you unexpected kids 5 months later...ask me how I know! He could have just as easily jumped back over when you didn't see him. vicki

11. I never considered this before. We don't have yard lights and we are out in the country with no neighbors. It's DARK out here when there is no moon. My does have had at least 2 cycles so far this Fall. In a week or two I'm due for them to come back into heat again, except for the ones who are bred already.

12. Anita Martin

I agree he could have bred them..but I would have thought I'd have saw SOME sign of heat. I'm not completely new at this. I had the light installed because I had NO outside lights at all last winter and I leave the house before dawn in the morning and get home after dark. I hated not being able to see anything until the weekend. I am going to call the power company tomorrow and see if I can have a switch put on the light. It wasn't even the light I wanted. I wanted one of those big WHITE lights that light up the entire property (I have no close neighbors), but they put in a yellow light. I am not afraid of the dark, but trying to feed, milk, check for injuries etc. is much harder in complete darkness day after day. I do wish I had a switch though!

I do have darker stalls, but we just loaded a ton of clay into them and need to pack so they are not really ready for use. Our nights have been warm, but I don't think that can last much longer. I had wanted to wait to breed on all of these does until late oct. or nov. so that isn't a problem...I will lute this week. How long after I lute will they come into heat? Will lute cause cycling if they are not bred yet? I need to make breeding arrangements for the two that will get lute...
    Thanks
    Anita

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Sheesh- never thought about my bright light delaying heat cycles! I have the light on as when I stumble to the milk room at 4:30 AM, I like to see where I'm going :). Almost all of my does are bred now, but everyone I hoped was bred for Oct/ Nov kids are cycling so obviously those breedings didn't take- DARN!

14. :D I have done the stumbling often. I have a "path" memorized to the barns that I can do in total darkness if I must and anyone feels my wrath if they move anything into my "path" and I fall over it. :twisted But my DH has bought for me an array of torches to carry. I have a large maglite, a small maglite and a coleman battery operated lantern, which I love. My daughter just gave me a Yellowstone staffer flashlight too (she works there), which requires no batteries. Cool. :D It has a lever on the side you push and it cranks something inside the flashlight. Then you turn it on and get a bright LED light. It's bright enough I can read tattoos with it. Yeah. So I get through those DARK times with my flashlights. When there is a moon though, I can see pretty good. My maglite lets me see out in the pasture for about 100 yards. I can spotlight coyotes with it. DH has a light on his gun to take care of those guys when they start coming in too close. Once we take care of one of them the rest seem to stay away for quite a few months.

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Linda, next time you're at Wal-mart, check back in sporting goods...they make a "cap light" that clips on the brim of a hat.(not the strap one-the clip one) Yeah, I don't like caps either..but this is neat! It's a LED light, BRIGHT, leaves your hands free..which I almost always have two buckets in hand. AND I've found another use for mine~looking down into my semen tank! No more holding a flashlight under my chin to dig in that tank! :biggrin

Lute will work IF your does are cycling...if not, NO. Then there's the question of if it's a fertile heat. If there's no mature CL then it's not a fertile heat. Also if you give it before 10 days (I like to wait 14 days) from their last cycle there won't be a mature egg.
    For aborting...wait 10 days from breeding to use it.(ok,without knowing if they're bred-that's done) 2-3 days from shot they should be in standing heat. I've bred on the abort heat and had it work...but it's better if you wait until there next normal heat.
    Kaye

16. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I've had many people tell me their does are not cycling yet.......it seems to be common this year. I know we had a cooler than usual summer here, but this month has been much warmer than usual.
    My adults are all bred, but I have a few kids who just started cycling.

17. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

My frustration this year was the does that I thought were bred for fall kids, who've now cycled so obviously weren't bred. I wonder if that light affected them last spring

18. Surely there has been some study done on this by some university. We had a cooler than usual Summer too. I don't think we got a day over 100 degrees. We usually have at least a few weeks of triple digits in July and August. I have read about the hours of dark and light affecting does' heat cycles somewhere when I began with my herd of Boer goats. I just have to remember where I read it. My does began heat cycles in September as usual. I didn't want them bred so early, but they were definitely in heat. Personally we like it dark out here, not that it isn't handy to have good porch lights. In back we have a flood light we can switch on and I have a drop light in the barn I can switch on from inside the house. In cold winter I've usually had kids and they have had heat lamps in their pen so that lit my way. However, I'm not doing January or Febuary babies this year!!!!! We like it dark because we sleep so nice with it really dark, and THE STARS you can see in the sky at night when you're away from a city and have no light to interfere, they are AMAZING. Millions upon millions of them up there. Plus, our house is set back off the road a bit, and we hope that anybody going down our road, who may be up to some sort of mischeif, won't notice our little old house sitting back here among the tree line. If they happen to notice it, we aren't totally unprepared to deal with it though. We got a big red dog who helps us out quite a bit there.

I gotta check out that cap light. My hands are usually full too. That's why I like the lantern. I can loop it up my arm and use my hand to carry a bucket.

19. Anita Martin

I don't know about the cap light, but I have a really nice headlamp that I wear every single night to do chores. I got it at dicks sporting goods store. It is very, very bright. It is not on a hat. It is made for running. Very comfortable. I like it for giving shots, checking tatoos etc. I have rechargable batteries and they work great.

My does have still not come into heat yet, but I luted everyone tonight. Maybe they are already pregant?
    Anita