WSU biosecurity screen protocol

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by peregrine, Jan 17, 2009.

1. peregrine

peregrine New Member

Hey there--
    I want to test my doe, plus a couple of potentially new NDs for CAE, CL, Johnes, and Brucellosis. I know WSU does this screen, BUT, the links to the screen info does not work at their website and I can't find it anywhere. I know how much blood and what type of container and how to store for the CAE test--but what about the others? Anybody know? Is it all red top tube serum they need? I assume 3 ccs per test?
    Thanks for any help!
    Alisa

PS I Also posted this exact thread at HT.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Agree with Kaye. CL negative is about marketing. Until you have had goats on your place awhile you really don't know the CL status of your herd, and why it's so important to purchase from somebody who is honest with you about CL. Yes test for CAE it's a given, its such a given now adays that why would you purchase from anybody who doesn't test, or a breeder who won't show you a whole herd negative test at purchase?

TB And Brucilosis here has to be ran at the vet, and why? In the likely high hundreds if not low thousands of broker animals I have brought onto my place for export, there was not one positive tests, and these were the worst of the worst in some cases, of poorly ran herds, or really by the time they would call a broker the goats were starved and unsaleable. It's a non issue with goats unless you like in a border state and have to run TB for sales or showing.

Johnnes, read....it is really a meaningless test and it tells you nothing. If Johnnes was as easy as a single blood test, than wouldn't the cattle industry be using it?

If you are going to run CL, use UC Davis and run their Chi test. Vicki

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Only time I've ever had a Brucellosis + was some kids tested for export with Kay Kimmel & Linda Campbell. LOL...it was ALL the rage to raise kids on cow colostrum to eradicate CAE...well, unbeknowst to many that export Bangs tests, then, were run at 1:30 (one to thirty) where normal was 1:10...all the group of kids raised on cow colostrum tested positive at 1:30, negative at 1:10. All the kids raised on goat colostrum were neg. at 1:30. AND the tests were pulled by the vet and mailed to the labs twice. He and the lab were just as puzzled as I until we started putting 2 & 2 together!
    I've never raised kids again on cow colostrum that I EVEN thought might be Bruc. tested.

TB has to be run by a vet. It's a "stick & look" test-just like humans that have to have a TB test. The vet is the only one that is allowed to administer the reagent.

:lol Sara knows a lot more about that than I, she had to test this year to go to Nationals. One of the states that was required to have a TB test to show.
    Kaye

5. peregrine

peregrine New Member

Thanks again--I dont want to waste my money--but the whole brucellosis thing has to be done b/c DHs neice (a vet) scared him about that particular disease. So, we will for sure test for it, and have a milk test run to be sure we are subclinical mastitis free. Also any new goats come CAE free, so like you say Vicki, that one is a given.
    A~