Would you do anything for this doeling?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I have twin doelings born 4/3/08 - so they're 15 days old.

Yesterday, one of the doelings wouldn't take her bottle. I opened her mouth and put the nipple in and she drank it. But she didn't go after it on her own, which is her normal behavior. Today same thing.

They are being raised on CAE prevention. They are each offered 24 oz bottles 3 times a day. Same temp each time (luke warm). Pop bottle with black nipple. Sometimes they drink the whole thing, more often they leave some.

She is running around and acting perfectly normal.

Her temp is 103.7 - twin sister's is 103.9.

They are outside with us playing - or inside the barn in a kidding stall in sight, but not in contact with the adult does.

They are nibbling on green stuff around the yard. Don't think there is anything poisonous she could have nibbled on.

They have not been given any coccidia, wormers, or vacc yet as it is still early.

Every once in a while, she's moving her mouth - I can't decide if she's grinding her teeth or just playing with something in her mouth.

Other than not going after her bottle like normal, everything is fine.

What, if anything, should I do?

Thanks,
    PJ

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Did you pasteurize the milk a little long? Get it a little too hot. Some of mine act picky if it tastes a little different if I let it get a little too hot when I pasteurize. Are you feeding at the same time each day?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

well they should be on cocci prevention and also are you putting a little baking soda in the bottles? Are you sure she isn't constipated?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've had kids go off of feedings and it used to freak me out! Now, I just monitor them, do what you did, take temps, keep an eye on their poop, but generally don't do anything until they either goe off a couple of feedings in a row or I see something. Usually by the next feeding, their hungry and want the bottle. It could be that she's starting to eat stuff, maybe have a bit of water and really isn't that hungry. :/
    Is she on cocci prevention?

5. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I'm not sure if she's constipated or not - I'll have the children monitor for that today.

As for consistency of the pasteurizing - my children do it - so I'm sure it differs each day! :really

I don't normally start cocci prevention until day 20. I do the oral dimethox. This is my first year raising on CAE prevention and bottle feeding. I still have the dimethox, so I figured I'd finish that up this year and get stuff for the bottle next year.

Baking soda in the bottles? Never heard of that. How much? A pinch?

Stacy - I'm glad to hear that you no longer freak out - I'll try to not freak and just monitor for now! :D

Thanks!
    PJ

6. Corky

Corky New Member

Isn't that a lot of milk for a 15 day old?

I read that I should not feed more than 12 oz at a time.
    I am giving my little one 12 oz each time three times a day and she sometimes leaves some. She will be a month old in a couple of days.

Should I be feeding her more?

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My three bottle babies are almost 6 weeks old and they are drinking 2 liters a day. Once in morning and once in evening. Sometimes they get something in between. They were on free choice milk at their other place. I got them about 5 days ago. They are not fat in the least but they are huge. I just weighed them again today.

Buckling: 34.1 lbs
    Doeling: 28.1 lbs
    Youngest by 2 days, Doeling: 24.8 lbs

8. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Corky - I'm not an expert on bottle feeding. :shrug2

I know that when many people raise on the lambar the kids are often getting free choice. I'm pretty much just mimicking that with a bottle (although I don't leave the bottle out all day - just what they drink when we bring it out). They were fed 4 times a day until they were 1 week old, now they are down to 3 times a day.

I haven't had any difficulty with either of them scouring.

They were born weighing 7 lbs and 5 lbs (there was also a 9 pound buckling). At 13 days they weighed 12 lbs and 10 lbs respectively.

PJ

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine get as much as they will drink from the start of their milk bottles.

I do put a pinch of baking soda in the lambar once a day and all kids start off getting priobios once a day also.

I would make sure there isn't anything poisionus out....foundation plants are killer to kids who only need a small bite of an azalea plant to kill them.

I would redo her bo-se, give small dabs of probios once a day and baking soda a bottle a day and see if that is enough. Fecal sampling is always better than moving kids to worming and cocci meds eariler than the 20 days...although we have had cocci outbreaks around us before 20 days old. And remember banamine...it is the best stomach soother. Vicki

10. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

So if you put the bottle in her mouth she will eat just fine? My bet is she got lazy LOL! Her temp isn't much different than her sister and if she is eating fine except for not taking the nipple unless you put it in her mouth I would say she is OK. I have had kids before who just one day decided they wanted ME to put the nipple in their mouth. Wouldn't take it for the world although even the previous day they had gone bonkers over it. Then a few days later they take the nipple fine again.

Justine

11. Agree with Justine, have had "lazy" kids too that eat if you put them on .....sounds like a fine amountb of milk to me, we are feeding a gallon per kid per day now.
    Becky

12. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Ok - I'll keep up with the baking soda. And if she's not back to normal by Monday, I'll run a fecal just to be safe.

Thanks for all the advice!
    PJ

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

My doelings are each getting 32 ounces in the morning and 32 ounces in the evening. They are February babies.