Would you buy her?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    I have the opportunity to buy an LH Mtn Vista doe. She recently kidded on her due date with two dead kids. She didn't come into milk.

    She's a big doe, very friendly. The lady is only asking $150 for her.

    She has cycled once since the birth. I would rebreed her on her next cycle.

    Do you think I'm being naive?
     
  2. goatkid

    goatkid New Member

    2,730
    0
    0
    Having two stillborn kids doesn't concern me as much as a doe who kidded on her due date and doesn't have milk. Does the breeder have any idea why this has happened, and why is she selling the doe? I've met her and she has lovely goats, but I don't know her well. Has this doe had problems with kidding or production before? How old is she? I, personally would not breed a goat who just carried to full term this soon after she kidded. Something is likely going on with her and she needs some time to regain strength before enduring another pregnancy. I know you have bought cull does from her before. If you like her goats, it might be better to buy a bottle baby doeling from one of her does who has done well in the shows. JMHO. Kathie
     

  3. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    I believe she is a late yearling FF.

    I am not buying her from Marguerite. I am buying her from a gal that is moving to WA and needs to sell her stock. The other goat she still has left is too small for my tastes. Not necessarily short small, but thin small. I've never had a 2 month fresh doe look that skinny.

    The one I'm contemplating, is blond. A roan blond nubian. She looks good.
     
  4. goatkid

    goatkid New Member

    2,730
    0
    0
    I'm sure she's a nice doe and her being a young FF may explain the lack of milk. Some of my yearlings have taken some time to really come into milk. If you're really wanting her, maybe Marguerite would be willing to look her over before you buy her. She will probably be able to have some nice kids for you, but I'd still wait till fall to breed her.
    Kathie
     
  5. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    Marguerite did say she's a nice doe.

    I hate to feed her that long without any return. Also, then I'd have milk thru the winter.
     
  6. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    Lois sounds to me like she didn't get enough calcium prior to freshening to have milk
     
  7. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    Not enough Calcium was a concern of mine too. And if that was the problem, it's easily correctable.

    Her other does kidded just fine I am told.
     
  8. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    You know I probably would go look at her and then make the decission but if I got her I personally wouldn't rebred her right away. I would get her in excellent condition first. However the lady may have not been there when the doe kidded and this is why the triplets didn't live not that there was a real problem with the doe. could have been a copper issue and the sac wouldn't break on it;s own. You just don't know without having been there or her explaining exactly what happened.
     
  9. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    She told me they were born dead. I assumed that meant she was there. :sigh

    I am going to get her because I really like the looks of her.

    I will wait to breed her until I feel she is nice and healthy.

    Although she doesn't look in poor health now. If I didn't know what had happened, I wouldn't suspect at all that she had had a problem.
     
  10. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    I would certainly watch for a uterine infection.
    Can you put her under your management...and try milking her 3x's a day to bring her to milk? With a change, she might just come around for you.
    Kaye
     
  11. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    That is a good idea. I hadn't thought about the uterine infection.

    The gal who has her says she does NOT want her udder touched. I'll see what I can do.

    Thanks Kaye
     
  12. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    I bet she doesn't, if she's not been milked out. You ARE THE BOSS, keep saying it...YOU ARE THE BOSS...when she realizes she's getting relief, she'll come around. ;)
    Kaye
     
  13. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    She is cheap enough as long as she is Purebred and her papers are uptodate. I don't buy a doe without an empty quaranteen pen, and honestly I take another doe with them, even if I don't have any intention of keeping it, just for company. I also factor in the costs of CAE testing, both blood and PCR and staph, revaccinations, wormings (3, 10 days apart) and fecals.

    I would breed her right back, using Cidrs if I had to, which you likely will have to. Waiting 30 days to start her on a gaining plane of nutrition and getting the tests back. I would still try to bring her into milk because they do soo much better hormonally in production being bred.

    If the doe herself was in that poor of condition to freshen skinny than that pretty well gives you a good idea that the dead kids were nutritional if not just out and out neglect...born dead also means I went out to the barn and they were dead on the ground :) Lets get real, when folks have stock that looks like this and they are selling out, and add the move, the last thing that gets any care is does they are selling anyway.

    If you like the paperwork on her, it's current and you can take her and the paperwork with you...go for it. The best doe I ever purchased cost me a whopping $50.

    But go in knowing when she is positive, or aborts again, or has mastitis, and if you can't get her in milk to test her than dry cow her with Pirsue, that this could be the worst $150 you have ever spent :0

    And AI her or clean your bucks penis and sheath after you hand breed her to him. Vicki
     
  14. Truly

    Truly New Member

    344
    0
    0
    She's not the skinny one. The other two are skinny. She's a big gal. Not fat, just big.

    It's been a few weeks since she kidded... her udder looks like it's never had anything in it, ie, there is no udder. Should I still try to milk her?