Would this Purina EQUI-MIN be ok to feed my goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Keeperofmany, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Guaranteed Analysis

Magnesium (Mg)...actual.........5.0% Vitamin D3.............min.......60,000 I.U./kg

Potassium (K).....actual.........5.0% Vitamin E...............min.........5,000 I.U./kg

Manganese (Mn)..actual..3,600mg/kg Vitamin K...............min............100 mg/kg

Zinc (Zn)...........actual..3,600mg/kg Vitamin B 12...........min..........1000 mg/kg

Iron (Fe)...........actual...5,000mg/kg Thiamin................actual........300 mg/kg

Copper (Cu).......actual.....900mg/kg Riboflavin..............actual........200 mg/kg

Cobalt (Co)........actual.....9.0mg/kg Pantothenic acid...actual........500 mg/kg

Iodine (I)...........actual.....9.0mg/kg Niacin.................actual......1,000 mg/kg

selenium............added.....8.0mg/kg Folic Acid.............actual...........5 mg/kg

Fluorine (F)..........max.....3.0mg/kg Biotin...................actual..........10 mg/kg

Vitamin A..........min...300,000 I.U./kg Pyridoxine...........actual........300 mg/kg

Important: Feed salt on a fee-choice basib separately. This product is designed as a supplement.

Ingredients:

Oat groats......................Zinc oxide...............Menadione sodium bisulfate

Dehydrated alfalfa meal.....Ferrous sulfate.........Vitamin B 12

Soy oil...........................Copper sulfate..........Thiamin mononitrate

salt (plain)......................Cobalt carbonate......Riboflavin

Sugar.............................Calcium iodate..........D-Calcium pantothenate

Apple flavor.....................Sodium selenite.........Niacin

Wheat middlings................Vitamin A.................Folic acid

Magnesium oxide...............Vitamin D 3..............Biotin

Potassium chloride.............Vitamin E.................Pyridoxine hydrochloride

Manganous oxide

Feed this vitamin and mineral supplement as a top dressing or mix into the grain concentrate portion of the ration.( Each level scoop contains 30 grams.) Do not feed Equi-Min on a free choice basis.

Could someone please tell me what they think of this. I'm still trying to find a suitable mineral.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If I am ready this correctly they want you to feed salt seprate ...so no I would not use it . Goats eat there minerals with salt because they need salt not because they are smart enough to know they need minerals too.

Can you get sweetlix magnum milk ? They are the best I have in my area.

Patty

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

This is a supplement and not a mineral. We feed our horses a supplement through the winter. We mix salt into it so they don't just stand and eat it. We also don't feed grain to the mares. They are on a supplement with salt and Purina 12-12 horse minerals along with hay.

Find a straight mineral, not a supplement.
    Kaye

4. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Ok, I have tried Co-op, Shur-Gain and Purina. None of them have a mineral with selenium & vitamin E. At Purina they told me that besides the one that I posted about above they have just a selenium & vitamin E mix for horses that I could use to top dress my Oats & BOSS.

We sure seem to live in a country that doesn't believe in goats as farm animals. :really
    My Shur-Gain dealer is really trying to get me sweetlix mineral in but they won't return her calls. She is really trying to help.

Wendy

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

That may be so, but surely there are some cows up there somewhere......Don't give up......there's got to be some minerals up there somewhere.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My mineral now is cow, horse and goat. But I used the plain ole horse Purina loose mineral that I added yeast and kelp to myself for years. Here the Purina Horse minerals contain alot more of everything, being Horse and cattle country, yet just up in Dallas (4 hours north) that Purina mill mixes things differently.

So go for a horse or cattle loose mineral and tweak it, rather than trying to find something that aint there and is going to cost you a fortune. Vicki

7. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Vicki, What kind of yeast do I get to add to my mineral?

I think I have found a good cattle mineral from Co-op but waiting until Monday to check out Shur-Gain and see what their Purina cattle mineral is like and compare the two.

Thank you everyone for their in put.

Wendy

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I always used Diamond V Yeast the plain and then the XP. But it's sort of like Amway stuff, if you don't have a distributor in your area, it's not something a feed store can just order. There are dozens of brands of nutritional yeasts. I am not talking about bread yeasts or brewers yeasts. But do look up Diamond V and see if it's something you can get up there, even with milking 65 I only went through 2 bags a year. Vicki