Would this be breeding too close ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have a 2008 doeling that ideally i would like to breed to one of my two bucks - however, the one i really would like to breed her two is her half brother - they have the same sire. Their sire has some very good proven goats right behind him, and the doeling and buck in question don't have any bad faults that i can see that would be a concern - however, i could be missing something, and they are both young so who knows what could happen as they grow. Another bonus is she is my only french doeling and breeding her to him ( also french ) would give me more french kids - not a deciding factor of course, just a bonus. Her dam and his dam also have different bloodlines/styles.

I do also like my other am. buck, but would really like to see what these two would produce - i am willing to cull their kids if needed. If their kids are nice like i would hope for, would a breeding like this make their value go down though ?

Thanks !

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

As long as you are willing to cull go for it.

Patty

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

They could be really good, or really crappy, or the same as you have in front of you now. : )
    Sherrie

4. ali923

ali923 New Member

When your linebreeding/inbreeding (potato/potata) and you are breeding for increase of those good qualities of the line, what is the best way to line breed-which way do you get the best way to linebreed. ex: Mom and son, Father and daughter, full and/or half brother and sister, grandparents and grandkids. Or does it just vary according to what you want. I have not really gotten into the linebreeding thing, but I am very interested in trying because everyone wants the best goats and trying to improve their herd. But I also want to know what types of linebreeding not to do.

5. lyceum

lyceum Guest

We have done it on multiple occasions. It has always worked out. In fact one of our nicest bucklings last year was 1/2 brother 1/2 sister (same sire) breeding. Worked out just fine.

Carisa

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How are their dams related? It's pretty rare in a herd to not have at least some relation in the dams. Are you doing this breeding for doelings? or a buck?

A good linebreeding program: The goats maternal grandsire is also their sire (if you are wanting to condense the dam line). The goats paternal grandsire is also their sire (if you are wanting to condense the sire line).

I hope I have that right :)

Your buckling is too young to be proven is really the point I am making, as is the doeling...so really this is just a breeding...I don't mean this negative at all...but you can't put alot of thought behind it with unproven half sister and brothers. Know what I mean? Now if this was fast forward 3 years, well then you would know and it would be a planned breeding where you can put some thought behind it. At this age just get em bred let as many folks as you can use this buck, get as many daughters out of him as you can and then see if he is worth a breeding to this doeling. vicki

7. ali923

ali923 New Member

Vicki,
    So...grandparents and grandkids are the absolute best for linebreeding. Are there occasions when you would want to use the other ways?

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have crossed 1/2 siblings in the past and got some very nice kids (no two-headed or one eyed/five legged babies so far :rofl). Seriously though, it usually works out well though I have never crossed full siblings or father daughter/mother son. The buck I have now is a 1/2 brother to one of my older does...I am really curious to see how that works out, I have high expectations.

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I know that they are young and unproven, that is my main concern. I would like to try it though, just didn't want cyclops. I would hope if i got does, even if they weren't perfect, that they could at least be family milkers. And of course if bucklings, they would be wethers for pets or freezer - if the doelings were very bad they would have the same fate as wethers as well. I do have somebody that would like a buck out of this breeding if he is very nice, and i would keep a very nice doeling and see how she does. More or less, i have a experiance with dog and horse breeding and really like genetics, and with goats i'm fairly new and would like to learn and experiment. All my herd is young right now, except for two NOA alpine does.

I do have some others lined up to breed to my bucklings as well, as i do want as many kids out of them as possible to see what they produce.

Another concern of mine is, even if they are super nice kids, will they be frowned opon due to their close breeding ?

Here is my buckling's dam's pedigree -

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001341379

And the doeling's dam's -

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001436329

And this is their sire -

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001428272

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I don't see very many similarities in the two dams' pedigrees. If I were looking at kids, I would judge on the looks of their dam and sire, I don't think this breeding would scare me away at all. If I have proof in front of my eyes that the kids turned out decent, I don't care about linebreeding. Now if I were going to reserve a kid before birth I might think twice.

11. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Chrystyna - you may already know this but you can enter "Planned" breedings into the adgagenetics site to see
    what animals you are linebreeding on.

I know I've talked to people who won't even consider crossing animals that are related to each other and others that try to keep their lines pretty tight.

Trisha

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

I'm of the latter... I linebreed extensively.

Sara

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

14. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

We have only linebred up until this year and we are going to inbreed a bit.