Dairy Goat Info banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nubian doe who i believe to be pregnant and i have recently gotten a 5 month old billy. since he is just starting to show interest in does even if she was pregnant would he still try to get her? i didnt know if this showed she wasnt pregnant or just since his hormones are just starting to kick in that he is taking it out on the doe even though she is not in heat?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
He's too young to know what he is doing, so Of course he's gonna try. : ) she won't let him unless she comes into heat. Years down the road when he's wiser, he probably won't bother girls after he's bred them and they are out of heat.

·
Registered
905 Posts
:yeahthat ...and also...
Some of the smells/hormones associated with pregnancy are thought to be very similar to when they are in heat so it is possible for her to be pregnant and he still show an interest. I read this in a Goat vet book recently. So no worries. :D

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Legend Hills said:
Some of the smells/hormones associated with pregnancy are thought to be very similar to when they are in heat so it is possible for her to be pregnant and he still show an interest. I read this in a Goat vet book recently. So no worries. :D
However this is usually twards the end of pregancy when getting ready to freshen

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sondra said:
Legend Hills said:
However this is usually twards the end of pregancy when getting ready to freshen
Thank you. I thought that was the case but did not want to include that as I could not remember and could not refind the section that said it. Thanks Sondra. :) Glad for you to know. :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:rofl Think of young bucks as teenage boys...EVERYTHING IS FAIR GAME! As he matures he will grow out of this and only concentrate on does that are actually in heat.

:twisted My young oberhasli buck has finally gotten the message, that I AM NOT fair game! Course he did have to suffer a few LARGE headaches before it sunk in! :really
Kaye

·
Registered
142 Posts
You have that right Kaye! One of my bucks still haven't figured out that I am not "fair game", so I trained someone else to take care of him with me doing it every once in a while. ;) That's the way to go! Now I don't smell stinky when I come in from the barn! :biggrin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot. i thought that this was all the case but wanted to hear it from someone else. also would he be able to breed if i did have a doe to breed?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes he is cabable of breeding.... Now is he tall enough to reach is the question :???

·
Registered
65 Posts
If a buck is breathing he is trying to breed!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts