worried

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark woodwyfe, Feb 27, 2008.

1. :sigh.... sitting here waiting for time to head to the vet's. Thought I'd post what's going on and see everyone's take on it... Stella (4 year old nubian, one of my No-Doubt does) has had a slight limp (left front) of and on for couple months. Nothing major. Of course right off I looked for an injury. Nothing. She showed no sign of pain. Felt her ankle, her foot, between her toes, her knee. Kept her confined for a couple days. She seemed better (still tender on that foot) Time passes, by now I've trimmed her hooves a couple times. Feel the foot daily for heat. She's eating well (she kidded in Oct. She is milking right at 8lbs a day) Not her usual overflowing bucket way.. but enough.. HOWEVER she's been hard to keep weight on. (granted she's always been thin on her back, but she just hasn't looked good this whole winter) drier skin then everyone else, just not her usual up and at-'em self. I decided she might have an infection I just couldn't find. (she's been wormed, bose'd, extra vit B12.... during this, just trying to figure it out) After 5 days of nuflor, (first time I ever used it on someone with out a fever!) she seemed to feel a bit better...put on a bit of weight, milk came up a bit... but still limping..got worse the last few days... On the stand today, I noticed her foot from behind, just looked a bit wider then the other. (I've been looking and smelling feet for hoof rot, with all the wet & mud...nothing) HOWEVER today, I ***FELT*** something between her toes. Way up in there.. Thought okay!! found it.. it's an abcess that's finally come to the surface... got all the stuff to clean it .... soaked her foot, got a big syringe and stated really flushing it out well... Once I could see, my heart about stopped...she has a TUMOR up there~! Big ugy, very vascular thing (it's looks like a huge fat grubworm... with things...like feelers or something sticking out in a couple spots. It's attached up above her hoof on the outside toe side... it's ugly, it' bled from me moving it.. I ***SWEAR*** it wasn't there two weeks ago.. maybe 10 days. That's the last time I trimmed her (actually at one point about then, I even had checked her out and wrapped that foot in vet wrap, trying to support a possible strain...we've been picking her up and off the milkstand trying to keep her from *re-hurting her sprain!*
    I feel AWFUL...I'm freaked out that I missed this OR it's growing that fast!!! any clue what this could be? Of couse my brain is squealing CANCER< CANCER<CANCER... Next to Charlie, who I lost after kidding in Oct. Of all the girls in the herd, Stella has always been my favorite doe, right behind Charlie.. isn't that the way it always goes??? well, just wanted to share and hear if anyone has any ideas what we maybe looking at... I have \2:30 appointment for her.....
    susie, worried & guilty feeling goat mom in the MO. Ozarks

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Oh no. well maybe its a Gangaloin tumor and the vet will detach it, and she'll limp a few weeks, and all will end well. they can grow fast! I hope all goes well. sherrie

3. Thanks for a bit of reassurance Sherrie... that's what I'm hoping the outcome will be too.. I just feel so bad..like I've neglected her or something.. I promise..this bloody, veiny, grub thing wasn't there... I keep beating on myself .. like how have I let her walk around on that leg (still thinking it was her ankle ... I was just this morning telling my daughter I thought I needed to take Stella for x-rays... granted, she still hadn't show any pain, like a sprain or break..it was more just not wanting to bear all her weight on her foot.. sure now why now... glad to hear they can grow fast... not that I still don't feel horrid about not finding it sooner..
    susie

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Keep us posted on what the vet says. I sure don't have a clue. But don't beat yourself up we can't find everything.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

I agree with Sondra. Don't beat yourself up. You've done all you can. You found it and you're dealing with it. You're doing the right thing.

And please let us know how this turns out.

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Working in a vet clinic I've seen a million tumors. I would say 3/4 of them are benign. Don't borrow trouble.

7. we're home... (we have NO goat vets in the area. This is actually the first time in 5 years that I've had to actually use a vet for one of the goats! ... so I picked the oldest/been there/seen that cow guy around... he and a couple other old timers looked her over, got it off, looked it over..declared it a really ugly CORN? they decided it didn't need to be sent off (even tho I kept suggesting we should. They all said, it'll come back as nothing and to save my money...??) so, we are home, minus on growth... with a bottle of the *good stuff* iodine, told me to give her another round of nuflor and she'll be fine..... I'm glad they didn't think it was anything.. I'm glad it's gone... but I'm still a bit uneasy about "have I done the right thing or not, by letting them talk me out of sending it off?" guess time will tell. (if it comes back.. I'll be vet hunting)
    susie

8. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Don't beat yourself up about it you sound like a great goat momma - it's not your fault :+) Hopefully all will turn out well and you worried for nothing :+) Hope you get good news !

P.S. could you post a picture of this ?

9. I wish I would have thought to take a pic BEFORE they took it off. While attached, it was white on the outside, sort of greyish looking inside (like a big grubworm) the *feelers* were creamy/yellowish and looked like a bean sprout or something. Overall, it was bigger then an inch, but not over two. It was attached by one spaghetti sized ropey thing.. it bled very easily from that area. He talked like he thought she probably had gotten something (thorn, small stone ??) stuck up there. It rubbed and rubbed until this thing started. The only thing I can find online is*interdigital hyperplasia* in cattle. Some of the stuff fits what Stella had, some doesn't. Whatever this was, started this winter. I've been checking close for hoof rot but, haven't found any real signs on any of the girl's feet. (I thought maybe the wet/the mud/the harder then normal winter... all coupled with a thorn or stone - like the old vet thought- maybe it really is all she had...If so, from what I'm reading, you take it off, you let it heal, keep it from getting infected.. it heals... hope that's this case. I'll keep everyone posted.
    susie

10. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm so glad that's all it was. I bet she'll be as good as new in no time.

Who woulda thunkit. a corn. they are painful, that's for sure

You described it very well, I really would prefer NOT to see a pic. :yuck

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Well I like your vet. Testing stuff like this isn't really going to help, if it grows back you know you didn't get it all and may opt to put her down, or have it surgically removed and then test it. If it's bad enough to test than it will grow back.

Even shot sites, we used to get them when we injected ivermectin, can turn the shot into this walled off thing with a blood supply and tenticles that had to be cut out. So the thorn or rock idea is a good one. Keep it super clean. Great catch! Vicki

12. thanks Vicki...glad to know I was okay, just going with old dr. cow vet :biggrin... also glad to know that Stella didn't have an ALIEN :crazy between her toes... Is it okay to keep flushing it with warm salty water before I put the iodine on it? I feel better with it squeaky clean, BEFORE I doctor it... she was already walking a bit more comfortably at tonight's milking.
    susie

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

yea, you can wash it out, but don't put too much salt in the water. ouch!
    I'm glad they were able to remove the "thingiey" for you.

-Melissa

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sounds like a pretty good old vet to me!! glad that it is taken care of.

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Ditto.... seen tons of them. Sent them off for testing and they are negative. But yep you seem to be right, it is always our favorites that things happen to for some reason. Those mean ugly hateful things will live for ever!! Good luck vibes being sent your way.

16. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

OH my!!! What a nightmare to go through!!!!

I hope it all turns out alright for you! ^_^ *hugZ*

Cricket

17. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Same as Vicki here....have been in on taking bunches out from between cow/bulls claws. That's what popped out of some of those buried files in the brain...but just wasn't sure enough to post.

You keep up with that old cow vet!! Nothing surprises them and most of the time, they're right on. And he's right about the testing...wasted money. We took them out by cutting, then cauterizing the area. To say the least the bovine was not real happy about having it's leg pulled out between the chute bars and tied! :lol Little lidocaine and they were just good and ticked off. They were soon back to their jobs- mommas or breeders.

So glad it was just a minor thing...but they sure are painful.
    Kaye

18. I really do like the "old cow vet"... he's sweet & kind. You just feel all the years of knowledge. The clinic started out as his, there is now a young vet working there too (taking on a lot of the work load) The only thing about the old guy?? you have to pretty much YELL! when you are talking to him.. but that's okay, I'm a big, fat, loud mouth anyway LOL...(oh...did I mention, it was cheap?? not sure how cheap... I didn't get an itemized list..but they did Stella's foot, while there I restocked the goat med cabinet. They were out of the 100ml banamine, so I got the 250 sized bottle, a 100ml of BoSe, a 100ml bottle of Nuflor and a bottle of the *good* iodine... my total? 123.00...??? I didn't ask prices, but if memory serves shouldn't the drugs alone have cost me that?)
    susie

19. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

arent those tumors the grossest things?? Or corns or whatever , yuck.. She probably feels so much better without it pressing when she steps.

20. LMonty

LMonty New Member

IIRC very few if any cancer tumors come on small little stalks. They usually have at least one side thats invasive and doesnt have defined margins, like cyst would. I know how it is, I like to see proof too, but if I had seen that I'd have been pretty comfortable not bothering to get a path report on it, since it would be so very low suspicion for a cancer. HTH