Worms in new goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Jul 31, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I just wormed my goats last night since I noticed their gums and eyelids were pale and white...its been over 24 hours. I did 2CC each with 1.87% equine Ivermectin paste that was givin to me when I bought them. I noticed tonight when cleaning up the hay and was looking at the berries that some were clumped and in some of the regular berries I saw a single white small threadlike worm. It wasnt moving and I touched it with a broom and it moved but was sure it was dieing. I am wondering if its from the deworming that it came out with the berry. Im also wondering what kind of worm it was and if I should use something else in 10 days or just keep with what I wormed them with. Any ideas?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Ivermectin doesn't kill tape worms. For this you would need Safegard. You can get it at your local feed store or farm center for between $8 and $14. Get the paste for horses or cattle as its easier to give than the pills for goats, and give 3x the weight. If I remember right you said your goats weighed between 10 and 15lbs , I would give around 4cc, its next to impossible to overdose. You also must use it for 3 days in a row.
    Andi

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you need to get a fecal sample to your vet and find out what type worms your dealing with and use a good wormer to get them. ivormectin is not very useful a lot of the country now. If your goats already have pale gums then they are anemic and it will take a long time to get them back into condition.

4. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

By looking at pics online I am 100% sure the worm I saw was a round worm. It looked nothing like a tape.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Roundworms visable in feces? You must mean you saw this under a microscope.

Sara

6. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Not under a scope. WHat ever it was looked nothing like a tape. There were no segments. It wasnt flat. Didnt look like rice. It was about the width of a thread, round, white, pointyish on both ends and small. Maybe 1/4 inch. And it wiggled around when I touched it with the broom. It didnt move and so I touched it and it freaked out. Maybe it wasnt a round worm but whatever it was I saw but wasnt a tape.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Since you have no idea what you are seeing bring a fecal sample into your vet so you know what you are dealing with and can deworm with the appropriate med.

Sara

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Pin worms(and I don't have time to look up the technical name for them) can be had by goats. And yes, you will see them in poop and around the rectum. Ivomec and just about any other kind of wormer will kill them-even strongid-T or Fenbendazole (Safe-Guard or Panacur) (which kills very little) will work.

I am experienced- a very embarassing moment included) in these type of parasites! :blush I do fecals, use the appropriate wormers, log results, all that crap...then one morning a doe hops on the milkstand, tail raised and there are little white WORMS...crawling around her anus. I am absolutely furious, because these does had just been wormed with Cydectin and had clean fecals!! Grabbed my little specium jar (blood tube) collected as many as I could stand to with a straw blade...and off to the vets. Now, my vet knows I only come in for MAJOR SURGERIES, drugs, and when I'm totally baffled. I, blushing brightly, hold up my specium tube, say I just wormed and fecaled clean! and I get these this morning. After a good chuckled he states..."They're pin worms. And from the number you've got there...they're jumping ship!" Me~"You mean my wormer is causing this?" ". If you had even used Safeguard ~ he even makes fun of Safeguard~ you would have caused them to evacuate.
    So, with this embarassing moment...I learned something and the vet got a good laugh at my being baffled.
    Kaye

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Ahhhhhh, the sight of pin worms at morning milking. :rofl

Sara

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol :biggrin Thought you'd get a giggle at that episode! My uh,oh's are generally entertaining. :sigh
    Kaye

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They crawl out of the anus of our goats into your dogs, cats, other goats and when children sleep together or us, from one human to another :)

In the olden days, I am sure there is some now fangled way of telling, which your children itched their butts (or your goats :) you could put a piece of tape on their anus while they were sleeping if you found pin worms stuck to it in them morning you wormed your kids. It was an OTC that you asked for at the pharmacy, I am sure now it is a doctor visit and drugs :)

Goats like dogs and children who itch their bottom alot also have pinworms.

Like tapes they are of little consequence, a more of a vanity worming..bothering us more than the goats.

Kaye, Merry has diagnosed a bubble and a red blood cell for me on fecal before!!! :) Vicki

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl I remember something vaguely about a black piece of cloth as toilet paper and the wormer for kids was pyrantel promate~Strongid-T. THAT I do remember...kept a bottle around here for years to worm kids (human) and puppies! :rofl

:blush2 Oh, geez, this is getting close to Sara putting in OT for content! :laughcry
    Kaye

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl :rofl :rofl

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I can assure you it is still available OTC!

blushing mom to 10.... of course I was raised an only child and..........