Worms and Blood

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 27, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I have had the same runaround with my poor goats. They are acting fine, eating great, very affectionate 18 mos. old does just purchased 3 weeks ago. Have given them duravet goat pellets then cydectin then valbazen then ivormectin. I called my vet (after several other vets to get a EPG fecal done) and no one does them! It is a yes or no...anyways, my vet said that it takes about 30 days for it to show up...an anemic goat will be anemic still in 21 days or so. :crazy I keep looking for changes in my girls's eye lid and mouth color not realizing it takes a while for blood to build back up. I did ask him about red cell (horse supplement) he said it is basically a b complex vitamin may help a little, but time is the issue. Feed them well give them hay and pasture and stop monkeyin around with these goats. They need adjustment, etc. I will say that after this 3 weeks and all this worming, the one, who is around 83 lbs. still does not have normal poop. I have been giving her 2 capsules of slippery elm daily for about 8 days now with no change. Although my daughter said she was up there and a clump came out then a squirt of liquid then a cow type plop? I have introduced just a handful of sunflower seed to their alfalfa pellets and have posted question on loose stool from that. So I guess I just need to wait a while and see how they are doing...It has been raining out quite a bit the last few days so I have kept them in the barn...Plus there was tornado warnings all over the place. I have foraged for them getting a bunch of snacks and hanging it in their stall. I appreciate everyones patience with me I know it is difficult managing my smalll herd as well as your own...so much gratitude for everyone for helping me and my girls!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have you treated them for cocci ??? I would

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I think someone here told me that they would have diarrahea this late in their age? If not, how do I treat it?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Linda please PM Vicki or Kaye and ask them for sure but your goat with diarreah has a problem that needs fixed or she is just going to keep going down hill
    the doses for corid are in 101

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Have given them duravet goat pellets then cydectin then valbazen then ivormectin.

First please promise you will never do this again, always ask us first if you have a question, using this amount of wormers on your goat could be all of your problems.

You have to get a fecal ran, even if it is just a normal one from your vet or any vet, or a lab who will let your send fresh poop in for them to run.

You have to know if you have cocci in them or blood sucking worms that are making them have anemic eyelids. (do they have access to your garden and eating onions, garlic, shallots etc??)

You can't give them one more drug until you know they need it or you are going to shut down their liver.

Put the alfalfa pellets out 24/7 and find yourself a good loose mineral with over 1000ppm of copper sulfate and hopefully copper oxide or copper chealates or copper amino acids in it. Fresh water daily, really good clean horse quality hay, it must not contain mold and be fed up off the ground in a hay rack. Go buy a tube of probiotics from your vet, or feed store or order one and give each 5 grams of it a couple times a day until the tube is gone.

Don't take away anything from this diet or add one thing to it until they are used to you, have stopped all the poop issues, then if you want to add some BOSS that is fine.

If nothing comes back in the fecal you know it is just their rumen messed up from the changes and something new in your pastures or in the hay they are not used to...most people when new unless they have had livestock before buy horrible hay. If your area has been in a drought I would be very careful purchasing any new hay.

Let the liver heal now from all that worming and you will only do something else when the fecal comes back with a problem, or they have a temp over 102. Vicki

6. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I occasionally use slippery elm as a tonic..don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel better, and it doesn't seem to tax a stressed digestive system. I use a couple tablespoons per goat, mixed with water, and added to their feed. I've used it for horses, goats, dogs, etc. I get mine from Herbalcom.com for a reasonable price. It seems to make sick animals feel a little better, while things are righting themselves.
    Good luck with your girls.
    Anita