Worming

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions but I want to make sure I learn and do the right things, just tell me to buzz off if I wear out my welcome ;).

I asked the girl I bought the goats from about worming and this is what she said
    "They can be wormed. I didn't worm them, my vets opinion is not use a specific worming plan but to treat it as you see it. I haven't had any trouble with either of them so far. So you can worm them anytime." Does this sound reasonable? Both goats have nice soft shiny coats and don't look anemic around the gums or anything.

I don't have a microscope so I won't be doing fecals here right away, will the vet do this for me?
    Thanks

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Yes, the vet will do it.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hey Terri......we can be a little more help to you if you will give a little more info.

What area of the country are you located in ?
    What breed of goats do you have?
    How old are these goats that possibly need worming?
    Is any of them pregnant?

I don't know about you, but one vet visit for anything around here, will cost me more than 2 years worth of wormer. Need to learn to do it yourself if at all possible.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Terri, newbie questions are fine. Ask away. I am still a newbie on lots of things here as there is no end to knowledge on any subject. There is always something you can learn so don't hesitate to ask :D

5. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

What area of the country are you located in ?
    I am in Nova Scotia, Canada
    What breed of goats do you have?
    I have Alpine
    How old are these goats that possibly need worming?
    #1 - March 2005
    #2 - April 2007
    Is any of them pregnant?
    No. I have a buck located for #1 but want to wait until next month so I can make sure that she has settled here with her new room mate and is eating well and not totally freaked out with the move. I have owned them for 5 days now.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Wow.....Glad to have you be a part of this forum, so welcome.

I bet you want have near the worm troubles up there that we have down south. Seeing that you are really just getting started out, and with 2 new goats, I would take a couple samples from your goats into the vet. and let him/her take a look.....I prefer to pick up my samples in the morning right after I turn them out from feeding. I'll stand around with baggies and a sharpie, and as each goat poops, I will gather a few berry's and write their name on the baggie. Your vet. may not be a goat vet, and may not be able to identify goat worm eggs right off hand, but they can give you some idea by egg counts as to whether it is time to worm or not. Ask vet to pay close attention to cocci counts in the younger goat....
    I would try to find out what kind of wormer's that people are using in your area. (successfully using that is).
    Get in goat 101 section here as much as possible....great info there on running fecals, dealing with worms, types of wormers, how and when to use wormers correctly. Check in on the cocci info also......
    If it gets a little confusing about things, then please come on here and ask the questions that you need to.
    This forum is at its highest point, when it helps PREVENT something bad happening with folk's goats.

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I use a desposable (dixie) cup rather than a baggie to gather my "samples" and have someone lead each goat around. Mine all tend to run from me when I try to catch berries! ;) You will need to weigh your goats before you deworm them and/or treat for anything. I think most here use a dairy goat weight tape. Vicki offered great advice on a post once. On the first of each month she has a whole routine she does. Check weight, do fecals, deworm when needed, trim feet, test milk with CMT for mastitis or changes, etc. That has really helped me stay on top of things.

Before you treat your goats for anything post what you plan to do to the group here. Until you become familiar with goat dosages, it's good to pass it by the wise goat people first, just to make sure. I have learned this the hard way! More times than not, I have underdosed or given the wrong medication. Another good tip would be to ask the group before you go out and buy something. So, you don't buy needlessly. This is a great group and espcially helpful to beginners, like me! :biggrin

8. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

I had to laugh when I read about the dixe cup thing - but it really is a good idea! :D