Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to do this wrong, so I am looking for advice :help2
I looked on the Wormers page and I was wondering if there is a difference between the pour-on for cattle and the injectable for cattle...do I have the correct stuff??? :help
I would prefer to give subq @ 1cc per 110 lbs vs 1cc per 22 lbs...
Do I have the right stuff to give 1cc per 110lbs subq?
Thanks!
Gina :biggrin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im a boer breeder and i use both. And i use both orally. Dairy may be different,not sure. I use 1cc per 22 pour on, and 3cc per 100lb injectable(used orally)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Dairy is the same. Oral is the preferred method of worming.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Gina,

Cydectin cattle pour on at 1cc per 22lbs and Ivermectin Injectable at 1cc per 33lbs, just like David said.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Everybody...I was really hesitating to give orally because I have read that it smells like wart-remover, so if I could buy something different that I could give sub-Q, it might be better...I still might buy the injectable and give sub-Q instead.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Gina, there is nothing to worry about as it has been routinely done for years. I know the stuff looks and smells scary, but it is really effective and thats why people use it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
We have a buck that will lap this stuff up:) No need to hog wrestle him to take his wormer ;) The does do okay with it.
Tam

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My goats gag and cough and act like they're dyyyyyyying when I give them Ivermectin or Valbazen.

That icky purple Cydectin that smells like diesel fuel....they suck it out of the syringe and think I should give them MORE.

Dumb goats! <rolleyes>

Really...wormer WORKS BETTER given orally. Don't remember the specifics, so hope someone will jump in to explain the 'whys'.

ETA: Injectables are also given orally.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
In goats you want to give wormers orally because pour on or subQ are too indirect. They will metabolize a lot of it away and a good dose may not reach the worms.

Particularly with cydectin, it is dangerous to give to goats as a pour on, as it is too little buffer between it and the spine.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Doesn't matter what kind of wormer I use, the goats HATE it lol
But I use the Cydectin Pour on (orally) with good results. :) Also have used the ivomect inj. (orally) with good results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Everybody!
I will be doing the deed tomorrow night!
I'm sure my goats will be delighted :-D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! It wasn't that bad at all for me...and they taste didn't seem to bother them, they just don't like it when I come at them with a non-treat! They must know the look on my face when I need to do something to them!
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doesn't matter what kind of wormer I use, the goats HATE it lol
But I use the Cydectin Pour on (orally) with good results. :) Also have used the ivomect inj. (orally) with good results.
ok so it is ok to give the pour on Cydectin orally? Just double checking. I know you can with the injectable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts