Worming Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, Nov 17, 2008.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

If a doe has a negative fecal do you all go ahead and worm before breeding and kidding anyway, just in case?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes because because there could be adults that you won't see on a fecal and you don't want to have to worm during first trimester if at all possible. Then you always want to worm the day of freshening because all the worms seem to come to life at that time.

3. doublebowgoats

All right. Well, I wormed everybody before breeding without the benefit of fecals, but now with my handy-dandy microscope I've been testing everybody. Now another question is what to do with tapeworms for the just-bred girls seeing as the safe-guard didn't work for them.

4. I hope someone comes along and answers your question on the tape worms Michelle. I have a notebook that I am keeping notes in.

Also, for the safeguard use in tape worms, what is the dosage and how many days do you use it?

And another question that I'll go ahead and add to this thread, I have tried to find the answers to in Goat Keeping 101- Which wormers can't be given to goats while they are bred during the first trimester?

Thankyou :)

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Now another question is what to do with tapeworms for the just-bred girls seeing as the safe-guard didn't work for them.

Did you mean you used Safeguard to worm and now you are seeing tapes? You will see tapes after any worming because it aggrevates the worms in the system so you will see segments etc.. Safeguard given at a big enough dose should get rid of tapes...Hopefully you did not use it as your regular stomach worming though, you should be using Cydectin. If you did use Cydectin than forget the tapes until 50 days bred, they are of little consequence to adult goats, they just look awful since it's the only worm you can see with the naked eye. Vicki

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""" Which wormers can't be given to goats while they are bred during the first trimester?""""

Evidence is out there, that any wormer containing a flukacide like valbazen, or Ivomec plus.....can cause the doe to loose her pregnancy.
    Unless you are seeing fecal results that show high numbers of liver flukes in a pregnant doe, then IMO....I would skip any wormer containing "flukacides".

I personally try to avoid any type of flukacide wormer during any part of the pregnancy.

I ran a post not too long ago, and kinda surveyed this forum about what happened when they used flukacide in a pregnant doe. Best I remember....there were at least a couple folks that said that they had doe's loose their pregnancy after using valbazen.

WHIM

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes Vicki she used either Levisole (sp)? or cydectin prior

9. Thankyou :)

10. doublebowgoats

Right. Cydectin is the one I have used (except on one doe but that is a "whole nother" story). And every one was getting the safeguard as a follow up.
    Thanks for the info.

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since we now know that liverflukes and likely lungworm is pretty much a way of life here in wet/humid Texas you have no choice but to use a flukecide on your goats. I choose to use Valbazen 10 days fresh (Cydectin used the day they kid for HC) but Valbazen does get tapes, lungworms and liverflukes, plus I am not selling milk this early. I also use Ivermectin Plus 100 days pregnant, it's the only time I can use this wormer that only will kill cool weather worms in my area, but also contains a flukecide. With HC and liverflukes hard to distinguish apart, especially by vets :) and old women who only wear walmart cheapo glasses, everyone should have a fecal ran once in awhile by a lab so you get real identification...or maybe we could send our fecals to Kaye once in awhile :)

I would never worm a pregnant doe just because if you don't know you have problems in your area for things like this. Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

See I told everyone my claim to fame was OLD :rofl

13. doublebowgoats

So Ivomec plus at 100 days bred regardless? Or only if fecal shows something?
    This worming stuff is pretty new to me. (Just started this summer) The first 2 years I had goats I didn't seem to have trouble . used Positive pellets and herbal wormer. No goats goats got sick or died, in fact I had one doe have 5 babies that all lived and thrived. But now that I've had animals for a while I want to make sure I get it right.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes I do here and since your just down the road I would say yes.