Worming & milk withdrawl times

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

In the past I was using Cydectin at freshening, but recently I saw that it has a 56 day milk withdrawl time.....that's a looooong time! Am I better off using something else? What do y'all use at freshening? I used Ivermectin plus this week on all my does who are due in the next month. Should I use it again in 10 days? I'm in Texas & of course our weather has been crazy!

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Pam.....where did you see thay cydectin had a 56 dat WDT ?

I had it as being none, but I usually wait about a week anyway.

Whim

3. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

My good friend who's a vet told me & then I also looked it up for myself here
    http://www.luresext.edu/goats/training/Goatmeds.pdf

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

What you are seeing is Moxidectin- Quest -extra lable 0.5mg/kg PO 23 days meat 56 days milk.

Well......Quest is 4x's stronger than Cydectin pour-on. It's the horse version of moxidectin. According to *that* list the pour-on is not even listed. ?? Nor is there a date it was released. So, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say if you use Quest at 1cc/22#'s...yes, you will have a long withdrawl rate. Reason I posted the dose for Quest in goats 101.

The lable says: Moxidectin

RESIDUE WARNING

When used according to label directions, neither a pre-slaughter drug withdrawal period nor a milk discard time are required. Meat and milk from cattle treated with CYDECTIN (moxidectin) Pour-On may be used for human consumption at any time following treatment. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal.

LOL...Dipyrone hasn't even been manufactured in at least 10 yrs., so that tells you how up to date that info. is.

It took me some debating with myself to even post this info. :/
    Kaye

6. goatmom

goatmom New Member

The zero withdrawal listed on Cydectin is using it per label -as a pour-on for cattle. The FARAD chart also lists it as 56 days. I questioned my vet about this last year and he said the reason is because of the off label use - so they go with the extended w/d. His 'opinion' was that I should go at least 30 days but of course there is no data to support this either.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I don't sell any milk, and figure I could probably use a good worming anyway.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well that is for sure maybe it would settle you down:)

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Considering I have seen two actual tests done on goats given Cydectin orally...that came back with hours, not days of withdrawal, I would highly doubt this information as fact. Fact as in the goats were given the drug, the milk was tested for residue. Also remember this doesn't have to be the drug in the milk, it can be the carrier, like that what is found in Ivermectins. If you look at some of the other withdrawals, couple that with the information this is for a meat goat continuing education, meat goat facilities funding this, drugs on there we can't get any longer...I highly doubt this has any benefit to dairy goats. I would like to see the published tests themselves, they would have to prove they even did one milk test, and not just extrapolated out from the meat withdrawal what the milk withdrawal is. I am not the only one who knows how hard it is to get anything to penetrate into the udder to work for mastitis, let alone a wormer that will even show up in the milk for a month and a half.

Such a shame the caliber of Nubian Talk is such now..... that we could just post to the major breeders who used to frequent that site for their ideas on this...sadly it would be a bunch of new folks with......well, anyway that certainly wouldn't be helpful ;)

Doubting Vicki

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

BOY, IS THAT THE HONEST TRUTH!!
    Vicki, it's not just Nubian Talk it's ANYWHERE. You try to post information, that has research DONE ON DAIRY GOATS or try to give information on drugs and it just ignites a debate with loads of misinformation. What's so sad is the people actually *know* refuse to be drawn into these debates and the correct information is never shared. I for one, refuse to argue a point. I tell you what I think, when you ask, then I leave it up to you to use it or keep searching the internet until you find what you want to hear.

Maybe when/if the internet crashes....people will learn like we did in years past. TRIAL & ERROR and depend on those that have actually done the research.

:soap
    Kaye

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well all I can say is that since Cydectin came out I have been using it and wait a full 24 hrs and use the milk am still here and so are my customers.

13. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Well maybe you needed a little worming out yourself Sondra. I bet a little exlax and cydectin in a cocktail would move a whole lot of stuffffff.