Worming Dosages

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Linda Carney, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

What protocol do most of you use for wormers?

My vet said she would triple the goat's weight and dose on that basis. I know that it is better to give more than too little and I need to make sure that when I am worming it is making a difference and not causing more of a problem, like allowing parasites to become resistant. I know that I have read that a goats system requires higher dosages of some meds because their bodies metabolize at a faster rate. (I am not sure if metabolize is the correct term -- but the liver processes at a quicker rate?) Help, I need clarification! :help

I appreciate all feed back, thank you! Linda

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

There are some wormers that you can triple the dose....but there are some that you don't. This isn't a good rule of thumb.
    Tramisol (Levamisole) is one that is given at 1 1/2 the label dose....no higher or you get side effects.(I haven't used this yet, so I have not figured the dose. Vicki has.)
    Ivomec Plus & Plain Ivomec- double the dose. 1cc/50#'s. Label is 1cc/110#'s cattle.
    Cydectin- label dose=5 ml for each 110 lbs on the skin. I use 4cc/100 given orally.
    Valbazen- label dose= 4 ml per 100 lb of body weight cattle. I use 8cc/100# (10/100 if I'm in a hurry. ;) )

I've also used Ivomec Plus at the 1cc/110# dose but I used it every 10 days for 3 treatments, along with fecals. With the fecals to back me up, this works also.

The only thing I use at 3-5x's the dose is Safeguard/Panacur and that's for tapes. Corid I also use at higher doses for coccidia.

These are just my doses and it's actually up to the herd manager to determine what works best for them. Best thing I ever did was invest in a microscope. BUT...I also needed one for AI, so it gets used a LOT during breeding season.
    Kaye