worming/corrid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

can you do corrid treatments at the same time (during the same time) that you treat for worms? I'm talking about imvermectin 1% injectable given orally 1cc per 50 lbs.

Thanks

Sheryl

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I routinely worm during Cocidiosis treatments. : )

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:cool thanks.

Sheryl

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sheryl.......What I've seen here in the past was this. As cocci numbers seem to rise, it seems as though worm numbers rise with it..and visa-versa. I think it has more to do with the stress of one thing, allowing the other to bloom with it as well.
    This is just what I've observed on the micro fecals here.
    I've watched as I've treated cocci problems in a goat with a little worm problem as well. It has done it more than once here, that as the cocci problem was put back in check, that the worm numbers fell back to within the "normal" range as well.
    Since we know that corid (for cocci) is not a wormer, I can only conclude that taking the cocci stress off of the goat, allowed the goat to better fight the worm load as well.

No way I would be scared to treat for both at the same time though. If I did a fecal with both cocci and worms in high numbers, both would be treated for ASAP.

I looked twice at your IVOMEC dose there. It is weaker than a lot of folks use it.....but if it is working for you at that rate , then stick with it for now. I like to use meds at the least amounts possible, and then jump it up if it gets to where it doesn't work anymore.

Whim

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would not be using Ivermectin if you are not fecal sampling, it simply will not get HC for me, and you shouldn't have any other worm burdens this time of year but them and tapes in kids. And 1cc per 50 pounds was the last dosage I used back when it was working about 10 years ago...really need to check it, don't have any confidence it is working for you unless you fecal.

Eprinex is enough of a change to Ivermectin that it is working for others, I borrowed some from a friend and used it and we did have a good decrease of HC that didn't rise back as normal in 21 days....which normaly means you are not killing adult worms. Vicki

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay, thanks for the info. I got the dosage from "From birth til kidding" in dairy goat 101. It's in the list of wormers. So I wormed everybody yesterday. Old, young....milk. not milk everybody. And I used the 1cc per 50 lbs. :/ I just haven't really wormed my herd in such a long time, probably 6 months at least. And the vet here that has a little knowledge about goats said we need to worm every 30 days from frost to frost. Meaning of course every month that it is not cold enough for freeze on the ground here ha ha.

I cannot fecal right now. Some day when I can afford a microscope I will. And at the present Ivermectin was all I could afford. So hopefully I did some good. We'll see.

Thanks all.

Sheryl

oh forgot to ask, what gets tapes in kids?????

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

oh forgot to ask, what gets tapes in kids?? S.

Valbazen

I really don't like your vets advice to you about how to worm.......but if I was gonna half way follow your current plan....I would up my (regular) ivo dose to about 1 cc per 25 lbs, and then worm again 10 days later......then would try to go about 60 days during the summer before worming again.

Some of these mods please check the IVO dose in 101......I think IVO plus is 1 per 50lbs, but regular ivo is at about 1 per 25 lbs.

Thanks, Whim

8. NubianSoaps.com

I would really like the other mods and admins to do their own from birth to kidding, so that everyone can choose to use someones plan closer to them. Ivermectin Plus is 1cc per 30 pounds here but we aren't after warm weather worms we are after liverflukes and lungworms. Vicki

9. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

okay. It is dry here, not wet like in your area Vicki. I know it doesn't help that I can't fecal, but I don't worm very often, and want to at least try to do a good job when I do. :? Anyway. what do you use to get the liver flukes and lung worms? I don't guess I've gone after them. Although I thought if you had a bad problem with lung worms you would have a lot of coughing. which I don't have. I've never had a problem with meningeial sp? either and we have a lot of deer on this farm (remember by bil feeds them :mad)

So I don't know what I'm going after now. The last thing I used on any of my animals was a horse past wormer that had ivermectin in it. I was trying to do the right thing and get my girls in really good shape. Ya know. Better management. I am limited to what I can buy. DH hasn't worked in two years going on three. So I bought what I could afford which was the liquid Ivomec. So I guess I wasted my money because I didn't use the right dosage?

Sheryl

"Wormers:
    Cydectin Cattle Pour on 1cc.per 22 lbs. orally
    Valbazen liquid 1cc-10 lbs orally
    Ivermectin Plus Injectable 1cc per 30 lbs orally
    Ivermectin 1% injected at bottle dosages for lice, Mites and nose bots. Orally for stomach worms and lungworms. 1cc per 50 pounds orally ."

This is what I was going by :( I thought it would be okay.

10. NubianSoaps.com

I know the Moores used cydectin they had cases of it, and they are by you. But maybe Ivermectin will work on your farm? Sorry no clue. Do you know any of the gals in your area that put on the show they always had in Wetherford? Vicki

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Oh Gee. I hate to talk bad about anybody, but some goat raisers around here think that the knowledge they have is the "big secret" and they can't share with anybody. Sometimes I can get a few of them to talk and sometimes I can't. Donnie Moore told me about using ivomec pour on, but that was almost 5 yrs ago. I'm sure he's moved on to something else by now. I know one person uses Valbazan once a year, or maybe it's twice a year. I guess I'll have to ask around.

Maybe Janie, KJ?? or Agape??? You guys know what kind of wormer is best for around here?

Thanks

Sheryl

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sheryl......I can't tell you what is working best out there right now, but can tell you that cydectin is working the best for me here. I also am starting to use Quest, which is cydectin based horse wormer, but about 4 X's stronger. Fecals are showing that it works for me here. It is a little better for me to buy the quest for my small herd, as I don't have to buy a large amount of it at one time.

If I were shooting in the dark.....cydectin would be the bullets I would use. .......and I would use it just like I said with the Ivo. Worm twice or even 3 times, about 10 days apart......and then hit them again in about 60 days. I would at least do this with my young and growing size goats.

Whim

13. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

thanks Whim :D

Sheryl

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

No problem....just make sure that if you happen to buy a tube of Quest, that you cut the dosage back to what is listed in 101 on Quest. Remember..it is 4 X stronger than pour on cydectin.

Best wishes to you,

Whim