worming babies

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a baby that has a swollen throat, bottle jaw, I think it's called. She's had it for a while now, and otherwise is fine. If I remember right, that means worms, right? I'm going to do a fecal tomorrow, but can you worm a baby that is 2 1/2 months old? If so what dose? I would probably be using ivomec. I wormed the mom at freshening and the mom and the other baby look fine, but this little one has that jaw thing. Sadly, I have fallen WAY behind on fecaling and worming lately. :blush

Thanks all!!

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Are you SURE it's bottle jaw and not a milk goiter?? 2 1/2 months old seems awfully young for bottle jaw.

3. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

If it's worms and to the point of bottle jaw, the baby should have anemia also. Check her gums and the insides of her eyelids. Are they pink? or Pale? If they are pale, it sounds like stomach worms. Fecalling will tell you for sure, but in the meantime, check gums and eyelids. Good Luck!

Tara

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right what Stacy says, but you always worm according to the goats weight

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Is she growthy and eats a lot of milk? My little toggenburg doeling has a milk goiter, it's a squishy swollen area where her jaw meets her neck.

6. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

That was a good artical on milk goiter. I had a doeling with that this year and it drove us nuts trying to find out what it was. Next time I will know what it is. Thanks Alice aka Rose

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

After all that, I'm thinking milk goiter. Thank you SO much. I'll still fecal, but now won't be so worried if the count is still low. I have so much to learn :)