Worming and Vaccine Schedules

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by new2goats, Sep 6, 2008.

1. new2goats

new2goats Guest

Another question on wormings.

We finally found a place local that carried Corid in the smaller bottle so we picked up some today. I have the dosage wrote down from this board and I know to dose once a day for 5 days. Keep in mind these goats (the dump offs) of my mom's haven't been wormed (accept fed medicated pellets for 3 days by previous owners about 5+ months ago :sigh) so we figured our best bet would be to get them UTD on everything (These goats are a prime example of "No such thing as a *free* goat"! :? )

We wormed with the Cydectin, provided loose minerals and baking soda, and have them on nice hay, alfalfa pellets and a bit of goat feed for treats.....There is already such a difference in these goats from what they looked like when they first came to mom's house...can't thank this board enough for the wealth of information and advice!!!

Now- Were trying to find out what would be the best schedule for worming? We don't want to over do it, but we also don't want to be in a spot of "not doing enough" and have them get in sad shape again......Should we repeat the Cydectin and Corid? If so, how long after the previous worming should we do this?

We also gave them their first Bar Vac CD/T and we are to repeat that in 21 days..correct? Hopefully having a vet come Tuesday for Bo-Se Vaccinations (the first they've ever had) ..is this one we need to repeat again in a certain amount of time or no? One doe may be pregnant, so if she turns out to be will we need another Bo-Se vaccinations for her before she has the baby?

Sorry for the 100 ?'s...my mom and I are just trying to get these babies into the condition they should be in and then figure out the best schedule for maintaining everything so we can prevent problems rather than trying to treat issues that could have been prevented. I've read different schedules on various sites and some of it is conflicting information so I'd like the know what the "pros" here reccomend...

Oh- One more thing.....I know many of y'all do your own fecals.....since I am wanting my own tiny dairy herd this is something I'm interested in learning how to do as well. I know there are some links on this in 101 so I will dig out that, but could anyone reccomend a fairly inexpensive microscope that would do the job well and where I could purchase one?

Thanks again for everything....I am having so much fun researching and figuring this stuff out...Hopefully by the time I get my own goats I'll have had a decent amount of practice with my mom's goats that I'll be able to manage things efficiently and properly :)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok do you have all the ages of the goats that your mom has?? as different ages you do different things .
    For instance older goats usually don't need any more corid but the younger ones you repeat every 21 days until they are 8 or 9 mo old. Tho all goats have cocci the older goats build up immunity to them and unless under stress (like yours were) you don't have to treat with corid. Babies usually we worm monthly with valbazen and then abt 5 mo old move to cydectin unless they are kept with the adults and then we go with cydectin
    Adults and this is what I do: are wormed 30 days prior to breeding and given their CD/T booster shot and BoSe this is for both does and bucks. 2 wks prior to freshening the does againg get cd/t booster and BoSe Day of freshening they are wormed with ivormec plus and ten days later with cydectin or visa versa.
    Babies when born get 1/4 cc BoSe
    The rest of the time I do fecal cks and only worm as needed.
    I don't have a big fancy microscope, I only have a kids $20 one from Wally world but it works. every now and then I take a fecal in to the vet to dbl ck myself.
    in Goat 101 Vicki has a list of what to do from breeding to kidding or some such name and is a wonderful rule of thumb.
    Try and get your vet to just sell you a bottle of BoSE

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

If the vet is coming out to vaccinate your goats with Bo-Se I would hold off on the one that may be pregnant until she is about 1-2 weeks from delivering the kids. You have to be careful about certain drugs during the early stages of pregnancy (including dewormers) or they could abort.

4. new2goats

new2goats Guest

The pygmy buck is almost 7 months old.

The 3 does that are 3/4 Nigerian are 8 months old.

The other doe (the one who may have been bred before she was dumped with my mom) is somewhere around a year or so.

The 4 youngest goats belonged to the neighbors since they were babies (pygmy buck wasn't born there, the girls were)

They were only wormed once by the previous owners and it was the 3 days of medicated feed and nothing more. :/ No clue on the older doe as they brought her from a family members house about 2 months before dumping them all on my mom. Prior to this though we know NONE of them have been vaccinated...according to the neighbor "You don't worm vaccinate goats because they don't form immunity and it makes them abort babies" (whatever that is suppossed to mean :sigh)

So now they have been wormed with SafeGuard (mom did that when she first got them because thats what the feed store told her to do) And then after reading here I passed on the info on the Cydectin and she wormed with that.

Haven't done the corid on them yet though so should we go ahead and do one round on them?

As far as the vet visit..it's going to depend if my mom can have someone cover for her at work to be there to meet him (I'm unable to be there, kids have Doctors appointments) She was hoping to have him out there for a general look over, the Bo-Se and to possibly tell us if he thought the older doe was bred or not... If she can't have him out there she's going to run by and see if he'll sell her a bottle of the Bo-Se.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I would probably just do the corid series of 5 days on all of them then do it for the young ones every 21 days until they are a year old. I personally would go ahead and give the older doe the BoSe shot now and then again close to delivery. I would give every one the series of 3 cd/t shots 21 days apart for 3 times and then booster next year Not to say that is the correct things to do but tis what I would do. Then I would also runs some poo into the vet and get a fecal done take some from each pen that is fresh and see that your wormers are working. do this after you finish the series of corid.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also with ningi's I don't breed berfore 18 mo old so wouldn't be planning on breeding your 8 mo olds this fall.

7. new2goats

new2goats Guest

Thanks so much! The corid was started today and we'll do it for 5 days in a row..then repeat in 21 days. I live so far out in the sticks I only go to "town" about once a week, so my next trip, (if I can remember) I'll pick up a microscope and start trying to figure out how to do our own fecals...I'd like to do a few on my own and then have the vet do it as well just so I can see if I'm anywhere near being right..lol

No worries on the breeding plans! Obviously they are still babies (IMO)... We would love milk goats BUT with the past these babies have had we don't to breed them when they're not even UTD on everything..

Not to mention mom and I would both like to get a bit more experience with the more basic things like hoof care, proper management and such before we think of breeding.

They all were housed with that pygmy buck and there was a nigerian buck with them before they came to moms....we separated the pygmy boy from the girls as soon as we were able (felt bad about giving him a big dog house for a shelter :blush ) and hopefully no one is bred. They said the younger does were NOT bred, but they said there was a possibility with the older doe...so time will tell I suppose...

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Your vet is going to have a hard time guessing if the doe is bred by looking at her. Your best bet there is to send blood to BioTracking www.biotracking.com and have her tested. That way you know for sure, it's not that expensive and you could have the vet pull blood/show you how if you aren't comfortable with it. Even ultrasounds aren't all that reliable in goats.