worming a bred doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ali923, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ali923

ali923 New Member

I have always tried to worm before breeding a doe and then try to wait atleast 45 days after being bred to worm again. This year the girls came in so fast in august the time got away. Some of the girls did get bred before in june or july but some did not since may and I didn't realize it until they were bred. ONe of my does seemed real sluggish and had really light eyelids, so I did worm her, however, she was one that got bred a week earlier. Is she probably not going to "settle"? I know I will find out later. But I was just wondering why they say wait 45 days to worm. Does it have a bad affect on the future babies?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We know now that implantion of the babies into the uterus doesn't happen for 11 days at least. So anything done to the doe during this time and before is going to effect the amounts of kids, and the kids themselves.

Valbazen and Ivermectin Plus both contain flukecides so you don't use them at all the first part of pregnancy, if you have liver flukes after they are 100 days pregnant is actually the perfect time to use it because of milk withdrawal.

I would run a fecal to see if I needed to worm since you missed worming. Vicki

3. ali923

ali923 New Member

Thanks vicki.

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Will Cydectin cause the same issues? I assume yes, but like to ask to be 100%.

Also, there is no milk withdraw with Cydectin correct?