Wormer, microscope, and bacteria testing questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by In it for the Bucks!, Apr 30, 2012.

1. In it for the Bucks!

In it for the Bucks! New Member

Alot of people I have talked to around here use Safeguard to worm and they say it works great for them. I was just wondering if anyone else has used it and if so what was the out come?
    Also I was wondering what brand/type of microscopes everyone uses for fecal. I have been wanting to get one after reading on here about fecaling. I think it would be a huge benifit to my heard. Just wanted to get your opinion on yours.
    Last but not least I was wondering if there is a place I could send my milk in for bacteria testing? I am in a no sell state but after reading the forum have been wondering how my milk would "rate" and was looking for a place that I could get some good results. Any body know of a place?

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

Safeguard/panacur does not work in my area unless you give it in huge doses over the course of 5 days.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Work on their goats for what worms? How many eggs per gram and then after they wormed how good a kill did they get in 7 to 10 days and then what was the numbers in 21 days?....when you get that blank stare or empty email back...you know they don't fecal and are part of the guessing set. Simply way to expensive to pay for wormer you don't need, or kill goats using wormer that can't work or kill the adults you have. Lots of wormers evacuate eggs, that is meaningless.

Kids learn to fecal using Toy's R Us science microscopes, I can't see anything on a reflector type microscope like this, I want a microscope with a light source. I purchased a really nice microscope for $100 at a pawn shop near a teaching hospital, during spring break and Christmas holidays lots of students pawn them, schools also auction off microscopes left at the end of the year or when an endowment comes in and they buy new ones. Vicki

4. In it for the Bucks!

In it for the Bucks! New Member

Yeah I am one with a blank stare and so is everyone I know with goats. I seriosly don't know a single person that fecals. And I know over 100 people with goats. It is crazy to me that more people don't fecal after reading all of the things on here. Everyone here says there is no need because of our climate. But, I wish I knew for sure. Looking for a microscope now.

5. NubianSoaps.com

Yep when your dry/arid worming isn't an issue. When I first bought does from a gal in Wyoming in the late 90's our discussion about cocci and worming consisted of her telling me they never did either ;) The only other thing that stops parasites like arid conditions is freeze. The rest of us, it's all we talk about. Vicki

6. fmg

fmg New Member

I live in dairy land, so I know of two places close enough to drive a sample to, and I'm sure there are more. I even recently found a local place to test for mastitis, that is much cheaper than the overnight shipping would be for the "free" testing listed here. The samples for my license, the local dairy inspector comes to get a sample, and sends to the state dairy lab. Perhaps contact the nearest Grade A dairy to see if they know where you can take a sample to. If there is a Genex near you, that would probably work to get a sample to them. If not, you will probably have to find a lab to ship samples to, and see in what way they would like the sample packaged. Probably you will need to overnight and ship on ice, since you don't want extra bacteria to grow in order to get an accurate count. What you want is a standard plate count, and maybe coliforms and somatic cell count (scc).

7. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Using safeguard is much more expensive than other wormers too because to kill you need to use a lot more of it....and if you don't need it in the first place....we can't even use safeguard for horses in Va. unless we are aiming for a tape kill, and then it's a tube a day for 5 days....so something like $53 just to get tapes! A single tube of quest plus (moxidectin...your cydectin) will kill tapes just as well, plus get a lot of other worms in the process.

8. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

And even though we usually get a good freeze in winter, HC is still the predominant parasite here. Cocci is also an issue in the area. I know of quite a few 4Her's who lost their kids because they did not practice cocci prevention.

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

This year I have had to used Safeguard to get the whip worms and has worked very well.
    I have never seen them in my fecals of my goats until this last year.
    I think deer is where they have been coming from we are just starting to see deer in the last year here or maybe not just a new worm to deal with. :/
    Fran

10. Greylady

Greylady New Member

Where do you get the slides to use for fecals? I read somewhere about getting the ones with cells??? With just getting our herd started this year, I am learning a lot from this list! Thanks, Vicki! Great forum. I have microscopes, so I need to learn how to do this.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Betty all the info including where to buy McMasters slides is in Goat Keeping 101 on here. You really should print out all of that section and start your goat book. If you do it when your new and simply print off interesting threads from then on, you would have such a great resource...I honestly wish I would have started doing it myself. Vicki

12. Greylady

Greylady New Member

:lol Guessed I miss the part where it said what kind! I have already got a book started. When all said and done may have to get 2nd binder!