Wood planes for hooves

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Where does everyone get their wood planes to smooth the hoof sole after trimming? What blade do you use? I would assume a smoothing blade? What size? Most I saw were 7-10 inches.

2. Goater

Goater Guest

I think what most people use is a "sure form" plane, sort of like a cheese grater on a small plane. The thought of using a regular wood plane scares me, but then so does using a utility knife and a lot of people use them.

goater's hubby

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Do you mean one of these? From any hardware store pocket planer under $10.00.

[​IMG]

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I got one of those things from Hoegger and I used it just once and considered it a waste of my money. Since it was made for goats I figured it must be better than the horse rasp I was using. It wasn't. Frankly, I couldn't believe they sold it for that use. I use a Hellar Ledgend rasp that I get from NC Tool in North Carolina. They do have a website. They are about $18, and will last a very long time for goats. When it gets dull, it will still be better than those "cheese grater" things. I use my Hellar Ledgend on about 40 horses, and then it gets retired to goat use, and works beautifully without too much straining on my part. In my opinion anyway.
    Anita

5. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I bought one of those Sure Forms, and I have to agree with Anita on it. I just trim them as smoothly as possible with my trimmers, and let them back down. I tried using the thing for shaping, and I was unable to get it to work at all. Now it is collecting dust in my equipment box. I contemplated purchasing a rasp, as I have smoothed my horses feet with it years ago, and am pretty dexterous - now just to find one small enough!

Kelly :)

6. Leo

Leo New Member

I didn't have as many problems with the "cheese grater," the larger one is easier for me as I can do large sweeps, and it has a nice handle. I had a horse rasp but found it hard to use, but I was more used to the planer. So I guess as long as it gets the job done, it's good.
    Megan

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I teach new folks and kids the hoof trimmers for around the horn and dewclaws an the plane for the sole. I won't even use my utility knife in front of 4H kids who are new. I trim mostly with a utility knife, I do pull out my hoof trimmers when getting ready for shows, using it first and then flattening the sole with the utility knife. Vicki

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I couldn't figure out how to get the cheese grater rasp in between the toes! I never leave anything loose or flappy to collect bacteria. For nipping, I use the goat nippers I got from Hoegger, I do like those better than a horse nipper for the goats. I just use a regular sized Hellar Ledgend rasp to finish them. The Diamond brand are nearly worthless, as are most of the others you can buy at the feed store that I've tried. A new Ledgend rasp is actually too sharp IMO for goat hooves, which is why I use a recyled one. I'd love to have a rasp that was thinner and curved on one end, to get between the toes, and regular sized on the other end for rasping the sole. That to me would be idea. Maybe if we goat owners request one from the better companies such as Hellar, we'll just get them to design a great one for us!
    Anita