Wondering... worried! *pics added*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 27, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Keeping in mind that I have only experienced short and straight forward births :help2. You can knock me over the head afterwards, :lol
    Pansy started losing her mucus plug yesterday, I got ready for kids this afternoon. She is definitely in early labor at least. Nesting, panting breath, tail arches and what looks like little pushy movements, but not "pushing" -if you know what I mean-, no ligaments at all. She's been like this since noon. By other years (2 previous kiddings) she would have been in hard labor by 2 PM and all done by 3 PM.
    I just don't know what to think. If the kids are not presenting properly will she go into hard labor? She is a big crab and does NOT appreciate me getting near her butt. I'll find a way to check her cervix though, if I should. No behaviour that makes me think she is trying to reposition kids.

Her temp was normal last night; she hasn't cooperated for another check tonight - so unlike her. :sigh

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Re: Wondering... worried!

Is a does temp supposed to be normal during labor? Just checked temps... others normal 101.8 and hers 100.1 :sigh
    Would you suggest a dose of norcalciphos?

Thanks.

3. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Re: Wondering... worried!

Alright, scrap that low temp. I decided to take the temp again and that thermometer is fried :nooo Got out my people one and she is 101.4 /herdmate 101.8... Whew!
    Still wondering about this pokey labor :??? At least now that I have forced her to work with me she is her normal sweet self.

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Re: Wondering... worried! *advice needed*

She was finally completely dilated at 3 AM started pushing...went in found a huge bubble and 2 feet, no head, sac burst found a head turn sideways and got it turned around easily- big, big buckling. A doeling presented properly and was born easily soon after. Took care of kids, then milked out most of the colostrum til my jar was full- maybe 45 min.. went in checked nothing but meaty feeling placentas. Milked her out, rub and lifted her uterus, gave her a warm drink... Waited another 1/2 hr. not many contractions. I came in and drew up some norcalciphos and 1/4 cc oxytocin but when I got back out she had passed 2 placentas. Didn't give her any shots.She started w/ some of the clear stringy mucus/sac stuff again and then a bubble of fluid...went in again. Good uterine tone, and contracted, I can't find the two uterine horns as before but this "cord" of clear mucus is attached to something that feels like another sac. It is attached about right in the middle of the uterus or maybe in the right side. Smooth, not meaty feeling on the outside, but almost positive there is no kid in there. Feels like a placenta in a sac, maybe. What am I feeling? Also would you give her any ocytocin? inj. calcium? now...I am planning to flush her uterus real soon before it closes at all. Buckling had meconium in the sac. I saw it in the bubble before it burst and then the fluid was brown. My hands aren't huge but not tiny either and I don't want to make her too sore.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Wondering... worried! * advice needed*

yes I would give her the meds now.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

isn't it always a huge buck kid with a bad presentation. Poor ole girl.

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Hey Sondra! Thanks, I am updating again. Would you still give oxytocin? Hesitate to load her up w/ oxytocin if not neccessary. Will do the 15 cc of inj calcium as I think that won't hurt a bit. The doe cleaned out some more afterbirth (not much since then) and then I did a uterine flush. I think now that what I was feeling was the middle of the uterus (between the two longer sides) The difference in texture was uterine wall were placentas were attached and then smooth were they were not. Is that possible?
    Everyone is doing great. Doe is eating, drinking and chewing cud. The kids are vigorous. Oh and I am tired. :lol

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Ok never mind that question, Sondra, thanks!
    If oxytocin is ok to use for milk let down than 1/4 cc isn't going to hurt her even if she strictly doesn't need it.

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Yup! He weighs roughly 10 1/2 lbs. The doeling is 8 1/2 lbs, but he looks twice as long, twice as tall, just big! Huge head!!

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

well, glad the kid was alive

-Melissa

11. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Glad everything turned out well for you, congrats on your new kids =o)

12. Truly

Truly New Member

Hooray for a good outcome.

Pictures now.

13. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Here are the kids:
    [​IMG]
    The doeling:
    [​IMG]
    The buckling.
    [​IMG]
    The day before... the doe in the middle is the one who kidded. Still two to go!
    [​IMG]

14. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

donuts! those pics aren't very convenient to view. Sondra, maybe you can tell me what I should do differently. :lol Maybe I should'a used one of the other codes besides IMG... sorry don't have time to fix them right now.
    Anyway, here they are! Mama was an Alpine/Togg mix (although somedays I think she's got some Nubian in there) bred to a Saanen buck.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Cute kids!! you can downsize in the photo bucket program but these are ok

16. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

They look like very pretty saanen kids, I bet the doeling will be a good milker too !