"Wobbly" goat and copper testing??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

This is a dry yearling Saanen doe, she seems partially paralyzed in her hind end. When I bought her in May she looked slightly swaybacked but has slowly gotten worse and worse to the point she can barely walk around without losing control of her hindlegs. She eats and acts normally otherwise. She does not seem painful at all, she looked completely normal as a kid and even when I got her she moved around fine. This has been very gradual. I am thinking if this goes on as it has, in another month she will not be able to use her hind legs at all. She has come into heat but can't stand for the buck. There's got to be something I am missing here...? I am thinking I am going to have to put her down. The other question is...I want to copper test her (send in liver sample) but am wondering...if I have the vet put her down, will the drugs mess up the test results? I am trying to talk hubby into doing away with her but I'm not sure either of us has the stomach for it.

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

I always think of miningeal worm when I hear symptoms like that. Do you have deer around you? Do you use ivermectin?

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

There are deer around...but never in contact with the goats or the goat pasture, feed or even surrounding pasture. I do use ivermectin occasionally, not on this doe however.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Menengial worm doesn't come on like this, it's certainly not a prolonged illness. Neither is polio, neither is listerosis, neither is tetanus, neither is the encephalitic part of CAE (although curious if you have tested her since she arrived) nor thermal meningitis after disbudding, big head from fighting would have her head swollen.

But with it effecting her posture in her back and now down into her hips so she can't stand to be bred, it does sound like either something neurological or perhaps a tumor on her spine that is getting progressively worse?

Sorry you can diagnose some things on the internet, others it's impossible :) You can send 2cents to me for that ! :) vicki

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Yeah I know, wasn't really expecting a diagnosis as I've dug around quite a bit myself. I am wondering about copper deficiency which is why I want to test her.

I haven't CAE tested her since I've had her, I am hoping to do the herd this week or next.

This is something that's been going on at least since April. I bought her as a "throw-in" companion to the yearling I really wanted, one of those times where it seemed smart to get a two-fer deal but didn't work out this time.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It doesn't matter if the deer have contact with the goats or not...they can still get it if deer are present. My buck had it and he stays in a run near the house. I don't think a deer would be brave enough to come this close to the house and certainly not in his pen.

I'd also test this doeling for CAE...and if a copper problem, why doesn't some of your others have the same problem.
    Kaye

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have you tried giving her B1 Thiamin?

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

No Sondra, I haven't. Mostly because this has been so gradual. When I bought her it was like, yeah she has a slight swayback, maybe she'll grow out of it and maybe she won't. It has slowly gotten worse and worse until finally dh and I were watching them the other day and I saw how she was getting around. I would gladly try it but I wonder if it will do any good at this point? Like I said above we are planning to put her down. I highly doubt this is curable.

As far as copper...I do see some signs (bald tail tips, black turning red, etc) in my other goats. I did copper bolus a month ago but I really want to test and find out the levels for sure. I should have tested before bolusing. This seems like a good oppurtunity to do it. If I have to put her down I might as well learn from it.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You know she also could have gotten hurt at a young age and it is now catching up with her. Yes if she is bad enough to put down then I wouldn't waste B1 or anything then get all the cultures you need from her.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you just bolused 30 days ago you can expect to high higher than normal copper levels come back. Remember if it goes into the rumen like it should, it is a time released bolus then....so high when you first gave it down to your normal level about 5 months later....so make sure you understand what you are seeing when you get the test back.

If after bolusing you don't have a high reading, than either your original problems were worse than you thought or....she didn't swallow the bolus and spit it out.

One test is better than nothing but make sure that you know it is just one test and one small view into your herds health. Vicki

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Thanks for that insight Vicki. I am pretty sure she got the bolus correctly. We shall see what I get back. I would love to do more than one test; I should also see if they do live biopsies.

12. MeadowValleyFarm

MeadowValleyFarm New Member

What do Menengial worm cause and will deworming the goats take care of this? Just wondering, thanks.