Winter Recipe Challenge

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by cmharris6002, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Okay, this is open to any dairy goat product, Kefir , cheese, milk. You can use a recipe here, on the net or your own, but it has to be something new.

To sign up post what you want to make. After you make it tell us how you liked it and post a pic.

Some of you are geeting the Formage Blanc culture from me that would be a great one for the challenge.

I want to make the baked Chevre in the recipe sticky

2. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:sniffle I dont have any dairy goat milk right now,.....my kefir is on a diet of store bought cow milk till February .

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

If you want to do the challenge, do it with what you have :) Trying new dairy recipes will help you use and enjoy your goat milk once they freshen :D

Christy

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I'll have to think about this, sounds interesting...

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I'm in. Christy, tell everyone what I'm doing. I can't remember the name. :lol

Sara

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Am in for Swedish Ostakaka

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Sara is making Fromage Blanc from the culture I am Sending out!

If you sent me a SASE I will pm you when I get it so you know your culture is on it's way.

It is perfectly fine for more than one person in the challenge to do the same thing. It is a GREAT way to learn together.

Christy

8. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I am in if I have a little time, can't do this before Christmas... But if we have all winter then I am in... and I am not telling what I am going to make, just when it is done...
    I just can't wait to eat it.. YUM

9. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

How about one I already did. Lemon Curd Cheesecake made with 100% chevre. If that counts say so and I will post the recipe. It was HEAVEN!!

10. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

PLEASE Mishael post your recipe as I have lot's of lemon's that are ripe for eating and I was thinking about Lemon Curd and I just LOVE cheesecake !!

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Ok, I got so excited over the Lemon curd cheesecake that I forgot to say..... I'm in on the winter challenge :)

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Mishael for the challenge you have to try a NEW recipe ;) But please do post your Lemon Curd Cheesecake made with 100% chevre! If you need help finding a new recipe to try we'll help you :)

Christy

13. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Lemon Curd Cheesecake:

Expect a line to form when you unveil this stunning dessert. It's swirled throughout with tangy lemon curd, which amplifies the richness of the surrounding cheesecake.
    Makes 10 servings.

ingredients
    For lemon curd

1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

For crust
    1 1/3 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (5 oz)
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For filling
    3 (8-oz) packages cream cheese, softened (or 24oz chevre)
    1 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup sour cream (or chevre)
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Special equipment: a 9- to 91/2-inch (24-cm) springform pan
    Accompaniment: blueberries
    preparation
    Make lemon curd: Whisk together zest, juice, sugar, and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubbles appear on surface, about 6 minutes.

Force lemon curd through a fine-mesh sieve into a wide shallow dish, scraping bottom of sieve, then cover surface with wax paper. Cool completely, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Make and bake crust: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Invert bottom of springform pan (to make it easier to slide cake off bottom), then lock on side. 3Stir together crust ingredients in a bowl, then press onto bottom and 1 inch up side of springform pan. Place springform pan in a shallow baking pan and bake 10 minutes, then cool crust completely in springform pan on a rack.

Make filling and bake cheesecake: Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.

Beat together cream cheese and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add eggs 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Beat in sour cream and vanilla until combined.

Pour two thirds of cream cheese filling into crust, then spoon half of lemon curd over filling and swirl curd into filling with a small knife. (Avoid touching crust with knife to prevent crumbs getting into filling.) Repeat with remaining filling and curd.

Bake cheesecake until set 1 1/2 inches from edge but center trembles when pan is gently shaken, about 45 minutes. (Center of cake will appear very loose but will continue to set as it cools.) Transfer springform pan to a rack and immediately run a knife around top edge of cake to loosen. Cool completely, about 2 hours, then chill, uncovered, at least 4 hours. Remove side of springform pan before serving.

Cooks' Notes:
    • Lemon curd can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.
    • Crust (without filling) can be made 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.
    • Cheesecake can be chilled, loosely covered, up to 2 days. Cheesecake must be completely chilled before covering to prevent condensation on its surface.

I have made this twice, the first time w/ chevre, second with cream cheese. Both were delicious. When I made the chevre I added a extra drop of rennet and hung until it was pretty dry, almost crumbly and the texture was so thick and rich in the cake. I didn't do blueberries and I didn't flip the bottom of my pan.
    Both times I made it I had to make an extra batch of the curd to eat on crackers!

Okay, I'll do a NEW recipe. I've got one, now to see if I can find it! I'll be back

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My cheese is hanging as I type. :lol I'll post when it's done and flavored. Does anyone have a recipe for a Sun Dried Tomato flavor?

Sara

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I put one in the recipe sticky for you Sara!
    Christy

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thanks Christy!

You know what is really good? I once had some goat cheese that was called Men's Challenge. It was chevre with horseradish. I didn't think I'd like it but it was really good as was their chevre with peppercorns.

Sara

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH and I love horserasdish had it last night on steak.

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Me too Sondra. In fact, Trisha (Bilrite) and her husband took me (and my husband Scott) out for my birthday last weekend. Guess what we all had? Prime Rib and shrimp. Yummy!

I make a to die for horseradish sauce that can be enjoyed on beef or pork. Delicious!

Sara

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YUMMY

Ok here's the recipe am going to use liquid rennet tho and hope for the best and of course goats milk. The Swedes put lingonberry's over the top.

Ostkaka (large)
    heat 1 1/2 gal whole raw milk to lukewarm ( I am going to use goats milk) Add 1 cup flour mixed with a little milk and 1 rennet tablet to luckwarm milk. Stir until milk curdles and forms curds.
    Drain whey off the curds, thoroughly. Then:
    Beat together 5 whole eggs, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups cream, 1 tsp. almond flavoring and 1 tsp. vanilla
    Break up curds with fingers and place in a bowl, Pour egg mixture over curds, mixing well, by hand, Bake in a 325 degree oven for one to 1 1/2 hrs

Ostakaka (small
    1/ gal reg milk.
    1/4 cake rennet disssolved in 1 tbsp cold water.
    1C flour 3/4 C cram 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup sugar
    Save out some cold milk to mix with flour. Heat the remainder until lukewarm. Stir in flour and rennet mixture. Let set until thick. Cut in squares and draw of the whey until most of it is gone. Beat 3 eggs and add sugar and cream. Mix in curds. Butter casserole well. Put in mixture and bake in a slow oven, 325 degrees 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Top either with lingonberries and sauce. or a grape sauce.

20. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I admit it, we are horseradish Lovers here too! I'm going to try it with some chevre' mine is defrosted in the refrigerator and ready to get baked :p

Last night I made these, it was the first time I used essential oil for cooking and it was SOOOOO good! Much better flavor than extract and even better than grated orange rind. Also the first time I made these cookies :D

Soft Sugar Cookies with Kefir
    beat until fluffy: 1 1/2c butter
    3c sugar
    3 eggs
    1/2tea Sweet Orange Essential Oil
    add and mix:
    6c flour
    1 1/2tea baking soda
    1 1/2tea salt
    1 1/2c kefir
    Drop by rounded spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375* for 15min until lightly golden.