Will a missed milking hurt the girls?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Aug 7, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I've never missed a milking, but we had a storm come in this evening with lots of very close thunder and lightening.
    Will it hurt my does if I don't go out in it to milk them? Would they be alright if I get up real early and go out and milk? I just hate to go out in the lightening and rain.

Tamera

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I think you know your answer already. Go out and milk your goats.

You're on the computer aren't you? :)

I would NEVER consider skipping a milking for any reason; rain, snow, sleet, hail.... you get the picture.

Sara

3. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Thank you Sara,
    I'll head right out and get it done :)

Tamera

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Good choice. You're girls will thank you and you'll sleep better. :)

Sara

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

As Tamera never comes back online and is hit by lightening :) Vicki

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

OMG! :faint Tamera, oh Tamera, please come back and tell us you are okay.

:rofl Oh Vicki you crack me up.

Sheryl

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

We have had a few times we put off milking waiting for frequent lightening to pass. And there were a couple times someone got stuck in the barn longer than usual waiting for a heavy downpour or hail to subside. But we've never missed a milking completely.

8. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I'm fine :D Thanks for caring!!!! I waited for the lightening to pass and then went out. It was cracking very close and I sure didn't want to get fried :( My 92 yr old father lives with us and he's very scared of weather, so I had to sneak out after he went to bed. You should have seen me trying to creep around tp try to get the SS bucket out without clanging it against anything. Seems like I always band it on something when I trying to be quiet :rofl

Tamera

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

OMG Sara, If she'd have bit the big one, you'd have gone down in Infamous history, lol! We are always either stuck in the barn with lightening or waiting for it to pass. Often we check the Doppler and see where the storm is located and if there's any window's of opportunity coming. I have a few goats who Are afraid of the lightening. So I prefer to not milk them in the midst with their flying hoofs and all.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Well, I can honestly say I have missed a milking or two in the last couple years. It did not hurt the goats long term but they did get miserable. Definately not in their best interest. I would only do it if it was absolutely impossible....in my case I was in the hospital, my husband with me. It will cut back production though. I have never missed b/c of a storm....but then I love the rain.

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm glad it all turned out well! Like Sherrie, I'll keep an eye on the Doppler. I've even gone out earlier to milk to miss running through the storm and while I don't mind being stuck in the barn, and I don't mind running through the rain, I'd rather not have a close encounter with lightning.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Me too Stacy of course right now I wouldn't mind even the lightning if we could just get some rain and cool off. :)

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl :rofl
    I'm with you Sara! I never miss a milking! I might be a little early or a little late but by no means more or less than an hr. I can't stand the looks on their faces with their udders strutted!
    Kinda' like the postman...rain,wind,hail,lightening, does get milked. It just adds a bit of drama to the chores. And the rain on the tin roof & thunder drown out the vaccum pump! :biggrin
    Kaye

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

So do y'all not skip a milking to udder up a doe for a show?

15. coso

coso Guest

I havn't. The little showing I've done. I may milk out at regular time in the evening then milk them out again later in the evening so that they aren't so full the next morning. That way if you don't get to show until later in the morning they don't get so strutted.

I've seen Kayes goats. I think if she missed a milking their udder would probably blow up by the next morning. :rofl

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I thought it was bad to miss a milking? When we got our test goats I had to milk one down slowly to dry her up. Her bag felt so tight the first day i milked. Crazy!

17. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

LOL! That's what makes it fun, Kaye... drama!

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"That way if you don't get to show until later in the morning "

But you are not milking in the morning? So doesnt that mean that you are skipping the morning milking? What am I missing here...?

19. coso

coso Guest

Skipping would mean I wouldn't milk out at all in the morning. We milk out after they are shown, still milking twice a day. It may be 10 or 11 in the morning but we still milk out. That's why the milking two times the evening before so they don't have so much early in the morning. In the bigger shows it may be 2 or 3 in the afternoon before you milk out but you always milk out afterwards, and if it goes this long you may have to partially milk out to keep them from getting too full before you show. Depends on what time you usually milk too. If you usually milk at 10 and 10 it wouldn't matter. I milk at 6 and 6 though. So by 10 they are needing milked pretty bad if you don't milk later the night before. :biggrin

I have heard of people going the whole show without milking but to me either their goats don't milk, or if they do there asking for blown udders.

20. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

we don't skip but we ARE late on occassion

we do not go out to milk during a lightning storm... me and my dc are too valuable, but we will watch and go out when it slows...

and when we visit LeeAnne we milk late... we don't skip because we are going to want to sleep in in the AM! and milk a bit late then too...