Will a hog panel hold a baby goat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Dec 24, 2007.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I will likely NOT be able to go with dh to buy a panel, but we need to get our nursery set up ready.

Can a baby goat get through a hog panel. We want something shorter than a utility panel.

We have always used the hearthgate from our fireplace, but we are having winter kids this year.

We do have a baby yard, but dh likes them in the house for 4-8 weeks... :lol And is convinced the yard is TOO COLD for them yet...

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

This was our set up last year... just slightly tweaked from previous 2 yrs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Good Lord! are they cute or what!!? :D I've had the young'uns get out of cattle panels, kinda like utility panels I guess all the time, but I don't think they could get thru hog panels. that's an awfully small hole! Maybe a mini could? :/
    But good gosh, those babies are CUTE! :biggrin

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

:lol Thank you! Those 2 were 2 of my favorites from last yrs crop! I repeated the breeding!

Cattle panels are big holes... utility panels are small holes.. no way can anything get through there... some of my cats have trouble!

OK so hog should be good! Thank you!

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Gosh Lynn, I have to wonder how cold you get in Texas?

We had Dairy kids born here Feb. 14th and 20th. (temps didn't get over 34 degrees until March 20th...and by then we had 12 more kids born)... They got their special corner shelter with a heat lamp for 3 days, and then 2 nights with heat lamp. Covered the top of the hole with reflective insulation (like those emergency blankets). That was it! :D

With 8 children, we are not bringing any critters in the house, if we can help it. :nooo

I would think you would be in the same boat that way.

Of course, you get more entertainment value out of them in the house...but lots more work too. Me thinks you have really spoiled goats! :rofl

Camille

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

:lol I know it gets colder elsewhere.... but it does get down in the 20's/teens here at night in winter...

Yep spoiled goats! My dh is a MAJOR softy... and he loves watching our littles touch and pet the goatie babies... *I* was thinking sun rm this yr, but the littles are not allowed out there so dh balked...

It is a conversation starter with delivery people since the breakfast nook is RIGHT next to my entryway.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Lynne, hog panels are what I use. I stand on them with a 2x6 and bend them upward, making a 4x4 pen out of the 16 foot panel. I am not all that tall at 5'7" but I am all legs, and I can just walk over or bend at the waist and scoop up kids out of these. I put down a tarp on my cement, fill one with some shavings, and clip a small lambar onto the corner inside. Once the group of kids, usually 4 to 6 from litters born within that day of each other, are aggresively eating off the lambar they graduate into the kid pen with older (born within the week kids) and a bigger lambar that feeds more kids. I then clean them completely between kid groups, and one is where all soaking wet bucklings are sold from, since they leave the property so quickly no reason to acclimate them to older kids. During the year these hang by hooks on the side of my barn, up out of the way. Love love love these...on really pretty days I will put young kids out in the grass with some shade even. Even my smallest quads or quints can't fit through them. Vicki

8. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Our kid pens are the hog panels. My hubby made a square tube frame and welded the panels to them. He then put another tube up about 6 inches above the panel because them are short. That way, if we have to put a larger goat in them, it discourages them from thinking about jumping out.

We have not had any escapes yet.

Leslie

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Great! Thank you!

He'll pick one up Th or Fr... IF I have kids before then they can stay in the tote, though I don't THINK we are that close...

10. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Like Vicki.. I use hog panels also, till the kids get a few days.. or sometime.. if the weather is cold and rainy, I leave them for a few weeks.
    I use two panels though.. and sort of make a circle of them. We use wire clips to clip two ends together, bend the other ends and clip.
    I usually put up in the barn and remove or quickly take down to move outside when sunny. When not in use.. take apart and hang on the side of the barn till needed again. They are lifesavers!!
    I sometimes move it to the outside kid pen and put part inside the shed and part outside so the bigger kids are not to rough on the babies. We use a large dog igloo inside the panel circle for the babies to get in. Once they learn to get in and snuggle up (no place else to go in the circle.. lol) we lift the panels and turn the babies loose. They will come back to sleep and snuggle in the igloo.
    You can't go wrong getting some.

Rett

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Last year it was cold and wet when the kids were born, so they were in the house longer than usual. I put plastic sheeting on the floor, bought a small portable dog round pen at PetsMart, and changed out newspapers every few hours. I thought having all the newborn babies in my living room was great, I could watch all the time, and didn't have to go outside to feed them. And watching them learning to crow hop was a lot more entertaining that the TV.
    Karen

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

a baby bed or playpen also works good for newborns in the house

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

What I like about our set up is it is so easy to clean! Those underbed boxes in the pic fit perfect in the space we have and can be filled with shavings, pulled out, cleaned, and refilled...

We tried the play pen for 2 days our second yr and HATED it... so filthy & hard to clean for us...

Once they go outside we have a nice sized yard fenced in chain link & welded wire...

The babies ARE fun to watch... we do let them out a bit before feedings to romp...

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I really like your set up Lynn so if you can replicate that with hog panels it would be great. I want to see the pictures when your done please

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

bump

This was what we had last yr

16. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I was contemplating a baby pool filled with shavings and surrounded by welded wire for our inside babies. Think this would work? It would def be easy to drag outside, dump, hose out and re-fill.

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

do you have a doorway wide enough to get the pool through?

18. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Hmm....EXCELLENT question. I think so but I guess I'd better get out the old measuring tape huh? :blush2