Why not ALWAYS use Valbazan?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tjgoatgirl, Jun 18, 2008.

1. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Hi folks! Been researching and recording data off of Goatkeeping 101 for my records. Regarding worming...........I was wondering why not use Valbazen 99% of time if it kills Lungworms, Liverflukes, Haemonchus Contortus and Tapes and is Safe for kids?

What does Cydectin kill that Valbazen doesn't ...................as mentioned to use Cydectin on kids if they're in with adults in Vicki's birth to breeding post?

Also, what does Ivermectin Plus do that Cydectin/Valbazan don't as referenced in Vicki's post to do at 100 days bred. Is this used just because Valbazan is NOT RECOMMENDED for Pregnant does?

It seems that pretty much Cydectin is the answer, and Valbazan gets what it doesn't.....like Liver Flukes, Lungworms and tapes?

Sound correct? Please let me know what you all think? :???
    Thanks! Tracy

2. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Hi. One more clarification in question. If you use Valbazen in kids on day 20 UNLESS they're in with adults, and then you use Cydectin, then what about the benefits that Valbazen provides that Cydectin does not? Like tapes, liver flukes, lungworms? :blush2

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Where we live Valbazon only works on killing tapeworms and nothing much else. We have to use cydectin to kill most everything else as it doesn't kill tapes. Ivermectin plus is what is used around our area for kill liver flukes as cydectin is unable to kill those.

Ray

4. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Thank you Ray. I don't know about what all Valbazen kills in KC, MO..........the VET (I know they're not always right) recommended Valbazan as a broad spectrum wormer for my basic worming? She personally had a flock of sheep and said this is what she used. I think though You're not supposed to use on Pregnant animals.

Thanks for your info. I appreciate it! Tracy

5. susie

susie New Member

Definitely not for use in pregnant animals!
    My notes state a 5 day milkin withdrawal also.
    That's all I know for now :)

Susie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Valbazen is very mild and just won't kill anything except tapeworms

7. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

I see. Thanks Sondra, Susie and Ray

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The effectiveness of all zoles (safeguard, panacur, valbazen, synanthic) is gone. It kills few to no adult HC worms or stomach or intestinal worms, not even winter worms. Yes it is a good flukicide and gets lung worms. But I use Ivermectin Plus because not only does it get flukes and lungworms but it also gets our winter worms that waste away does in the winter...Hc isn't a problem in winter so Ivermectin which doesn't kill the harmful lifecycle HC here for me, isn't something I am targeting...but, it does get the 4th state of HC that Cydectin doesn't. Ivermectin Plus and Valbazen have the same exact warning of using it at implantation they are both flukicides and it's the fluke medication that can keeps the embryo from attaching...but I am using it at 100 days pregnant and the girls are drying up anyway and it certainly is not hurting the pregnancy then.

So Valbazen for tapes in kids and I do use it after 10 days fresh in milkers so I don't go to shows with tapes in my adults...48 hour milk withdrawal. I still haven't used cydectin on my kids this year because we haven't had any worm burdens in their baby pen, they do get Valbazen every 3 weeks, because I can not see tapes on fecal no matter how many times I am shown.

When the kids are all about 12 weeks old, they will get to go to the woods pens and will be started on Cydectin, still a superior wormer for me, and will be wormed monthly until 8 months old and bred, then they are only fecal sample wormed.

Now....do you have lungworm? Liverflukes? Tape problems in your kids? Do your milkers stay in good flesh? If not you may want to winter worm with Ivermectin to kill cool weather strongides. Do you have bottle jaw or anemia? I don't because I fecal and use Cydectin. So my health list is really about my farm, YMMV as always where you live and who you bought your worm hotels (goats) from :) Vicki

9. Rose

Rose New Member

This has been an immensely helpful thread. Thank you!

10. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Yes, Vicki..........THANK YOU! :biggrin I understand now. Valbazan does liver flukes, lung worms and tapes.....and pretty much nothing else............so if you CAN use Ivermectin Plus and get Lung worms and Liver flukes and 4th stage HC that Cydectin doesn't get and cool weather strongydes............then why not use it?

EXCEPT on babies............then use Valbazan unless they're in the adult pen, and then use Cydectin, and maybe Valbazen also to get tapes in babies? At the same time? or only if you see tapes?

I don't think I have lung worms but I have one bred doe who coughs a lot, and the last wormer I used was Ivermectin 1% cattle injectable.....3 cc's per 100 lbs.......she is still coughing.....so ..........i don't know? No other signs of illness, but she is the one I don't know how pregnant she is since she came to me "bred" but was exposed to the buck from Dec 17 to Feb. 17.........therefore ALL her maternity-care dates are messed up! :/

I did the cdt booster and wormer on Apr. 17 for the immunity to pass on to the kids
    for the 1st available date of kidding which would be May 17, but here it is June 17, and I still don't see any imminent birthing signs. She seems very healthy other than the little cough, but she's had it forever. I originally thought it was the alfalfa because they all sneeze, cough and gag when I give them a new batch, but she is the only one that still does it. Hesitate to worm her now with a strong wormer since I don't know when she's due! Wish there was a test. :D

Noone has bottlejaw, no. :nooo
    Tracy

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Since she is a purchased doe and you have already done a long worm worming I would bet she has old scar tissue from pnemonia that makes her cough. Vicki

12. Terry

Terry Member

Why not send a blood sample to biotracking for a pregnancy test to see if she is in fact bred?