Why do you show?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by HollyBearFarm, Sep 4, 2008.

1. HollyBearFarm

HollyBearFarm Guest

So, I just got back from watching my first goat show. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I learned a LOT...but I have to say that I don't really get it. Why do you guys show? I am genuinely curious...like I said, I had a great time and it was wonderful to cheer for our friends and breeders again. I even bought an eight year old doe from our LaMancha breeder. She was for sale when we bought our other LM's and I just kind of clicked with this doe. She won second place in the aged doe class! Also, a doe that I ALMOST bought from our Ober breeder won Best of Breed, so that was great too.

Anyway, as fun as this show was, it really seems like a lot of work for the people showing! Transporting your animals, sleeping at the fair, showing in almost every class...it just seems like a lot of effort for a little recognition. We were the only ones in the stands at one point. Plus the dairy goat barn was right next to the pigs and llamas, so it was noisy and smelly, and it was all our friends could do to keep their animals from getting really stressed. I saw a lot of poopy bums.

Does showing make a big difference in the income you get from kids? Or is there prize money or something that you win, if you win? I guess as someone building a herd I tend to take a breeder more seriously if they win at shows, but only because I know that if they are showing their animals have to be disease free and from good genetics. If I knew more about what to look for, I think I'd be fine buying from someone who didn't show.

Did I just answer my own question? Someone enlighten me, please. Why do YOU show?

Stacie

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yes, it's a lot of work, getting everything ready and all that! But I started showing because I wanted to learn more about my goats. And even with all the stress of getting ready and actually showing, it is a fun experience to meet other breeders, their animals, and yea to show off yours. I think the competition also allows, to some degree, to see where you need to improve in your herd..

"but only because I know that if they are showing their animals have to be disease free and from good genetics."
    Uhhh no. don't buy into that one!! I've seen quite a few "unhealthy" goats at shows and nowhere does it say that they have to be CAE free. And the quickover that the 'vet on staff' does is mostly laughable. And hey, I think I have some good genetics here, though you wouldn't think so in the show ring! :rofl

Mostly I do it because I think the stress of it all is good for your immune system :rofl :crazy :rofl

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Because Sara makes me. :yes

Trisha

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The reality is that a doe with CH in front of her name garners at least $800 more in the sale of her kid than one that does not.

Now you can appraise. Does with good genetics and good appraisal scores can in some herds garner more for their kids than some folks champions.

On another forum a doe kid is for sale for $300, she is out of a CH 91EEEE, here that kid would be for sale starting at least $800 if not higher. Current tests etc etc etc....

So alot of your breeding stock sales is pinned to show wins and appriasal scores or both...and some marketing and after care and reputation.

I don't enjoy showing anymore, I haven't shlept to more than 1 or 2 shows, 3 tops a year in the last 8 years. I have all the good intentions, just don't do it. Vicki

5. chewie

chewie New Member

CH 91EEEE

i am sorry to be so lame headed, but what exactly is all that meaning???

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

A permanent champion who linear appraises EX91 EEEE.

Sara

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I wonder what carries more weight? The CH or the 91EEEE? Depends on the buyer?

8. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

I'm with you Vicki. I hate showing and only go to see friends there and eat pizza. Ya know what though, I really like to see a GCH in front, not just a CH so I continue to pay a ridiculous amount for milk test. All in all though, milk test is proving to be a lot cheaper than driving 12 hours to shows pulling a trailer with the crazy costs of gasoline.

9. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I show because I love it. I don't particularly like getting ready for a show but I do it with a smile. I love the sportsmanship that most have, I love visiting with old and new friends, I love being in the showring hoping and wandering if mine will be the top that day. I get ready for shows year round, our show season begins in April and ends in November and I am a raving lunatic by the following April, I would be lost without shows. I also love to watch my does being shown in the ring, every now and then I step back and let someone else show them so I can watch and compare.

Yes being a CH can and will bring in the money but like this year I have a yearling that finished her CH and placed well at Nationals but I can't see asking more than $650 for her kids until she is appraised and her milk test is complete then I will put it all together and the price will go up. But I don't just base prices on CH or appraisals but both. Sometimes getting CH is nothing more than you were the best that day, and sometimes that doesn't mean much. So i put both together I also use milk test, the better the doe the higher the price of her kids.

10. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We enjoy the competition part of it the most and it helps to prove where we are going with our genetics. We breed to improve milk and correct type, so both DHI and shows, allow us to "show off" our results. But we are very competitive by nature so it gives us an added thrill to do well. It has given our daughters valuable lessons on hard work, time management, presentation, and the value of friendships.
    I will have to say the value of GCH, CH, *M, and E appraisals and offspring prices vary by breed. If we were to add $800 to our base price for a GCH animal we would be priced way off the market for Toggs. And others are right that the CH or GCH doesn't always mean anything. I always get real enjoyment by beating CH animals that are finished at non-competitive shows.
    Tim

11. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I show because I enjoy it. I love to see the does after they are bathed, clipped and groomed for show. It is a great place to meet old friends and make new ones. I get the chance to bring my herd and show them off. I also get to see what bloodlines are working with others. My children are grown but my grandchildren still love to show off their animals. (They live nearby and do the chores every evening - so the goats are very much "their" animals too.) The value of the stock increases with every win but also when others see you win they want a kid out of the winning doe. Judges see your animals too and you build a reputation as a breeder of excellent animals. Show wins, high appraisal scores and milk records all go together to add value to your herd.

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

My son got us started- he saved his money, bought that 1st goat & wanted to show :). I used to do dog agility- so showing animals was something I had done before ( I much prefer the laidback atmosphere of goat shows :)! Once we had a few wins, that was it & I was hooked :)....add in the fun of visiting with friends, seeing beautiful goats & learning new stuff. The getting ready is a lot of work- all that clipping, loading stuff, driving, paying lots of money to stay in hotels.......but it's just fun :)

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I love the going to shows but don't much care for showing the goats. Now if I could get someone else to do the ring I would be in hog heaven.

15. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Andrew likes to walk into the ring with a well groomed animal ....getting him to clip or trim hooves is another question:). You do the grooming & he'll almost always show

16. Terry

Terry Member

Because Autumn makes me.
    No really it's because I just absolutely enjoy being a nervous wreck, sick to my stomach, and sweating like a stuck hog the whole time I'm in the show ring.
    Terry

17. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I love seeing good animals. A clipped goat to me is beautiful. Even clipping a mediocre goat makes a great improvement.
    It is tiring getting the animals ready, especially when you do it all yourself. But, a great satisfaction when it is done.
    I am competitive by nature, so I enjoy showing. I enjoy having nice animals. I like to talk to people about the animals.
    I enjoy all my friends that I show with and meeting new ones.
    Yes, showing my animals have helped my sales. It is a form of advertising. That is the way I look at it.
    Les

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LA scores carry more weight with me, if I don't know the herd. With herds that I KNOW are showing at "big" shows, against other good breeders, and there's more than 10 of the breed...I tend to take the wins more seriously.

We're talking ADGA shows here...not county fairs and such.
    There are a LOT of CH's out there that: 1. There were 10 of her breed, all owned by the same family(different name on the papers~so that makes two exhibitors), and they called ahead to make sure certain herds were not showing??? :really 2. There's even some that will sanction a show on their own and no one knows about it to put legs on their does. Private invitations only! :rofl These are called "GCH Shows" for obvious reasons.

So, when someone says I have such & such out of a CH...I tend to ignore that statement. Give me LA scores, milk records, and WHERE that doe got her legs.

Why I show????....I ask myself that everytime I start clipping goats,loading trailer and usually until I get to the blasted show! But, I do enjoy meeting new people, seeing new goats, and to see where my breedings place against others. Besides, you learn something new at every show! And I do have a competetive streak. ;)

The premiums also help greatly in wintering these expensive girls!! When you can pay $7 to enter and bring home $30 (minus the diesel)...not to mention the bonuses...then it's money well spent.
    Kaye

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Oh, showing goats is supposed to be fun? :really

I show because I am competitive and love to win... and so do my goats. ;)

Sara