Why did my soap do this?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by jimandpj, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Oh wise soap gurus...

Why, oh why, does my soap look like this:

[see below]

Can you see how "brainy" it looks - all the little indentations? What are they and where did they come from?

I'm using the same soap formula. I used a new f.o., a new red oxide, and this was my first in the pot swirl. Other than that, everything was the same as it always was. I've never had this happen before. Any clue what caused it?

Thank you, wise ones! :D
    PJ

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The photo isn't showing up but I am still going to say it was your new FO. That's usually the culprit. :)

Sara

3. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I know - I'm trying to fix it - I HATE dial up.

When in doubt, blame it on the fo, huh? :D

PJ

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Let's try again...

[​IMG]

Sorry it's so big - but this way you can get a close up of how "brainy" it is.

PJ

5. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Don't know much about soap but I think its pretty.
    I have only made soap a couple of times and it was starting from kidney fat that I rendered down.
    To much work for me! Last time I made it it turned out full of tiny air holes and floated in the tub plus left a slimly film. YUK. I'll stick to buying soap from other people.

6. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

What temp do you soap, I would say a combination of high temps and FO you used...
    Is it still brainy when you plane the top of it off.. that is what I would do..
    Barbara

7. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Hmmmm.... I soap room temp, but I have been soaping more and stacking my MM's higher. Maybe with them stacked so high it is creating too much heat!

I thought about slicing it off - but my children like the way it looks and I made that one mostly for the kids anyway - watermelon with lots of red!

Thanks, Jo -When I was making soap for just our family, I never ran into these kinds of "problems" before. Big sigh...

PJ

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I think it looks pretty.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What FO did you use? Vicki

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

After seeing the photo I do agree with Barb - hot temps and your FO.

However, I think it is pretty soap... watch out for red bubbles! :)

Sara

11. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

yep - I was expecting the red bubbles and already tried one of the small samples - slightly pink bubbles - but nothing terrible. My daughter is excited to have pinks suds. :D

PJ

12. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Vicki - the watermelon FO from (I think) Bramleberry.

PJ

13. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I think it's pretty cool looking. :)

14. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I LIKE this soap! Very Beautiful.
    Anita

15. it's definitely the heat . I have 3-3 fos that get super hot and do thsi every time.

16. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Well, I'm glad so many like the soap - it took me by surprise when I opened it.

I'm glad to know it was the heat - it frustrates me to not know what is going on. :D

PJ