Why are they fighting?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Doc, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc New Member

My current herd of does has been together for 4-5 years (speaking of those over 4). Yesterday, 5 of them began fighting - 2 of them hard enough that I separated them (they're both within weeks of delivery). When I say "fight", this is not the normal "get away from my dish" head swinging thing, this is prolonged (hours) of heavy butting, until both combatants are panting and bleeding. Hormones? This has been a weird breeding season - nearly all of the bred does have shown signs of "heat", and mounting behaviors, three and four months into their pregnancies. Today, one is flagging and screaming - she's due in about 3 weeks - definitely preggers.

These goats NEVER fight like this. Nothing's changed in their routine.

I don't have a herd queen. They're all queens. Drama queens.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hormones/weather mine have been doing alot of that too lately

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We were just talking about this at the farm. It got so bad here last month, the girls are due in March...that the 3 older girls are now living in their geriatric pen, something I have never had to do before. Shoofly, Birdy and Babbette. It started with Bab's I really thought she wasn't bred again (a hard kidding her first year at Saada, being dried to early the next kidding, left her fat, out of shape and barren) but it wasn't normal I am fat and sassy and a witch....it was what I thought was going to be a tumor or major cyst on an ovary to bring on such a change in demeanor in a very loving goat. She never changed towards me just her penmates. So she now lives with Shoofly and Birdy who don't take anything off her, she is much better. But she would pound on the 2, 3 and 4 year olds, then made the other does fight...so much so that there would be no way of adding the first fresheners as they kid out in April. So for the first time ever I now have the 3 older does in a pen by themselves. Oh and she is bred.

So whatever it is, it's overwith here, but it was awful...worse than buck fighting. Vicki

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Sorry for the thread drift- but Vicki, I am so glad to hear Babette did take! Thats great news! Hope all goes well with it.

My does seem to be acting normal, but Nelson and The Lawn Mower Boys have been going at it constantly for the last two weeks or so. No aggression to people, just constantly playfighting, head butting and general all around butting.

Poor Murray the Saanen wether who is a gentle and shy soul pretty much stays out of it, and stand off a dozen feet and watches Nelson take on the two Nubian wethers at once. If ever a goat could look puzzled, Murray manages to do it well :)

The Nubs are brothers, and seem to gang up on the buck- he's only a month older than them but must outweight them by 60 lbs or more, so its almost a fair fight that way! :)

Gotta admit though, I never saw goats do the ganging up thing before when fighting like this, I thought they were more independant than cooperative.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep this is just why my goats are separated too Already had one abortion because of it. Am keeping BeyBee in with tiny MM so she doesn't get bashed.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yep its that time of year and they do seem a bit worse here also. Little creeps that they are .

Patty