Who is on line now? almost midnight. Pics added.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have been in the barn with my own train wreck sence 3pm and just came in. it is 32 degrees and supposed to get much colder.

I now have twin does out there with Mom. She keeps licking them so they are wet. I put sweaters on them but she licks those too.

Should I bring them in and if so will she except them tomorrow?

[[​IMG]
    WOLFMTN Ebonys Pita
    [​IMG][IMG]
    WOLFMTN Ebonys Ceason

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Re: Who is on line now? almost midnight.

mom will calm down after a bit. if you're dam raising I'd leave them out there, if you decide to bring them in regardless, I believe she'd accept them in the morning.

-Melissa

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If they're really soaking wet, you can dry them with a hair dryer. Mom's saliva shouldn't get them so wet they will freeze once they are dried off from the birthing fluids. If you're sure they have had sufficient colostrum, they should do OK in a barn which is well strawed. If you do decide to bring them inside, the dam will most likely take them back in the morning so long as they are fed her colostrum. If she doesn't, you have bottle babies :D Kathie

4. Corky

Corky New Member

Thanks melissa.
    I am so tired I can hardly think.

Believe it or not I had to go in and get a 7.5 lb kid after 6 hours of labor that kept starting and stopping. I went in at 7 and found a kid way back but in the right position so I gave her two more hours as she was obviously not in distress.

DH brought a small TV for me and she was watching TV and chewing her cud.
    She would have a strong contraction and then another one but not another one for an hour. Finally after another two hours of her not pushing yet I went in again and checked and found one head and 4 feet. NO! NO!NO!
    I couldn't tell which feet belonged to what goat. I finally got one that I knew went with the head and pushed the others back.
    DH held her and I pulled a little at a time till I got the foot out but then the head wouldn't come forward. I worked around it trying to get her to open up more. Finally a foot came forward and I tried to get it but couldn't.
    I got the one leg and head out but could not get the body out.
    Finally I forced my hand behind the shoulder and got the other foot to come part way out and she pushed and I pulled down and finally she came out.

While I cleaned the doeling she dropped a 10 lb doe all by herself.

Thanks Katie. I am glad you girls are night owls.

5. Corky

Corky New Member

Sorry for the misspelled name Kathie. I told you I am tired. :lol

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

wow corky! sounds like one heck of a kidding! good thing you were their!

-Melissa

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Gosh Corky.. hate you had a trainwreck too.. but glad it worked out and everybody is okay.

I'm up late again.. have another one in the kidding pen.
    I'm bone tired also.. these old bones can't take much stress!!

Rett

8. Corky

Corky New Member

We brought them in and dried them. The train wreck kid is named PITA! :rofl

When I went to check on them she was standing still and shivering. The other one was nursing again and being loved by Mom.
    When I brought her in she was still soaking wet and her legs were icecicles.
    I took a warm wet rag and wiped her down and then dried her. It took forever to get that poor thing dry.
    Took her back out and got her big sister. She wasn't very wet at all.

Both these doelings are sundgau. So is Mom and Dad.
    I know I will have Alpines born that are not sundgau but so far since I bought this buck they all have been that same color.
    I think I may have a new breed of Alpine! :lol

Of course there have just been 4 so far but still.... :biggrin

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hoping all is OK by now.

Whim

10. Corky

Corky New Member

Good morning all.

Well, Pita is living up to her name still.
    She is not nursing as much as I think she is. i tried to get her to nurse a Pritchards teet. I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!! They leak all over the place and I can't figure out what is wrong. One had a little silver ball rolling around in the lid and I figured it goes in the air hole but that didn't even slow down the leaking.
    Ceason nursed the bottle right off. Of course she did. She is the agressive one.
    Pita would not suck at all. Just fought like a little tiger.
    Yup, propper name alright! :biggrin
    Ceason is a keeper. Long body and all legs just like her Daddy.
    The other one is just like Mom. That one will be for sale just like Mom is. I want the biggest one.
    Last years doe is just 90 lbs now and will be a year old in April I think.
    Can't wait to get pictures later today. I didn't get to bed till after 2 and I have a big mess to clean in the barn.

Thanks again for the help last night Melissa and Kathy. I am glad I went back out and brought them in to dry. I would not have thought of the hair dryer in the state I was in. :D

Oh yeah, Ebony, the doe, crapped twice on the milk stand too.
    And it that wasn't bad enough, I got slimed square in the face when I fed the alpacas this morning too.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations on getting those kids out. and does how nice!!

12. Corky

Corky New Member

Thanks, the next one is due tomorrow. :/

13. Re: Who is on line now? almost midnight.

We were also having horrid leaking problems with ALL the pritchards nipples this year. I finally stated to look at the pop bottle tops, they seemed just a thread or so shorter then they use to be... I grabbed a plastic ice tea bottle (think it was orient emporium from wally world....cheap & pretty good tasting LOL) PERFECT fit.. not a single drop dripped~!) I rarely use these nipples but when I do, it's a weak kid & the last thing I need, while trying to hold open a mouth, get the nipple in blah, blah, blah is milking leaking everywhere LOL...
    susie, mo ozarks

14. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Corky -glad you made it through that kidding ok and have 2 doelings to show for it!!

15. Corky

Corky New Member

Yes, this buck gave me a doe and a buck (that tastes wonderful. The buck, not the doe) last year and he was only 6 months old when we used him. So far this year it is two does but I still have three to go so we will see how his record holds up.

16. Melissa

Melissa New Member

hey, no problem corky. glad you dried her off then took her back out. sounds like the big doeling is really nice. hope you get pic's up soon so we can see the instigator of all the trouble lol.

-Melissa

17. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Corky - I just saw your pics you posted - oh my goodness - they are soooo cute -I've never seen newborn Alpines before -how sweet!!!
    I love babies -biting nails -10 days to go here.