white specs in soap

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Anita Martin, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I've never seen these before. I used the walmart recipe. Added blackberry sage I got from prarie fragrances and some cubes of another soap I had done a couple of weeks earlier that had turned out great. You can see the soap after I cut it on my website at www.shantaraacres.com. I am using dial up right now, so cannot load a pic. and anyway, could not get my camera to show the white specks. When I first cut it, it did not have these as you can see in the pic. on my site. (look under soap, then the last one on the page, creamy blackberry with sage and orange). I am assuming it is lye. When I uncovered the mold, I saw funny white bubbly things on the top. Did not leave insulated more than about 18 hours. It was cold when I took it out. I am thinking this is due to the lye not mixing all the way with the milk and oils possibly due to cooler temps in my house? I am wondering if this will go away, or if I will need to ditch this batch? Also, could it possibly be due to the frangrance oil? Everything else was exactly the same.
    thanks for any insight

anita

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Put your tongue on the flecks does it zap you? Temp effects your soap when making it, and different time of the year certain oils contain wax pastiles that give you tiny little air bubble looking things in your soap. The soap is lovely.

Also...ease up on yourself. I think alot of soapers are way to picky about the appearance of each and every batch. I always tell new soapers that you and other soapers are much harder on your soap than any customer will be. They will love your soap, little flecks and all.

Do when it's cold out make sure your lye is getting melted well into your liquid, perhaps strain it in a stainless sieve (cheap at wallmart) when pouring it into your butters and oils, this way anything left behind is left in the sieve.

What oil did you use in the WM recipe? Vicki

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Where did you get your lye? For a while I was using the lye "Roebic" or something like that sold in the Lowe's stores. About 2 lbs in a can. Then my sis bought me a 50 lb bucket from suppliesbystar or something like that. I had those white specks popping out in my soap. when I changed lye's I don't or haven't been having that problem since.

Sheryl

4. Anita Martin

If the specs are harmless, I won't worry about them. I did see those tiny air bubble looking things on the tops of the soap when I took it out from under insulation. I textured the tops, and then covered them with a piece of wood and then blankets. Nothing touched the tops. I'll have to see if those flecks zap my tongue. I did try sticking my tongue on it and didn't notice anything, but I'll try it again. The lye I used was the same one I always get from True Value Hardware. I forget the brand but it comes in a plastic 16 oz jar. (they are trying to get me a larger size, if not, then I'll mail order.) I've never had any trouble with it, but I do like the idea of straining it as I did have a couple chunks in one of my soap...my batch was so big I couldn't stir it properly.

The oils I used were the walmart oils, lard, coconut, and I had to use canola oil because I cannot find sunflower. It's the same recipe I've always used and had great sucess with.

Thanks so much! I really hope I do not have to throw it out as it smells lovely.
    Anita

5. Anita Martin

I believe the white specs came from being too cold during the cure. I had insulated the molds inside of a larger wooden box with blanket. I put the soap under my kitchen table inside their "bed". I noticed however that this weekend when I went to do it again, the floor was cold, and I was not insulating under the molds. I moved them up to the kitchen table to cure until cutting and they turned out just fine. The one's with the white specs still have the white specs, but they are not lye. I will dust them off and forget it.. Just won't try and cure soap under the table now that winter is here.
    Thanks,
    Anita