white soap and gel??

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by homeacremom, Aug 16, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I'd like to get lighter goat milk soaps. Those of you that gel... are your soaps white or cream colored or tan/brown?

Last night I did 3 batches; a log and a small cup mold of each. The MM logs were lightly covered and completely gelled. In the individual molds the peppermint gelled, the citrus one was colored peach and turned orange, and the lemongrass I think did not gel. The lemongrass is a beautiful creamy color in the individual mold, but the log is tan. Any help for this?
    Also anything I do with peppermint (Lillian's 3x) seems to get very, very hot. Am I just using too much - about .2ppo of the peppermint or does it just do that?

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

OK I found an old post about adding goat milk only at emulsion. I may try that and keep the 100% goat milk for only select recipes. That should help. Does gel affect color outcome?

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes gel can make your soaps darker, depending on fragrance used.. Not always tho..
    Barbara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Gel for me makes my soap look more like semi gloss paint, rather than flat. Gel gives my soap an opaque quality to it like plastic rather than chalky...I don't mean it as in bad plastic or chalky as in bad soap, but how chalk looks...oh brother forget it :)

The only really white soap I can do is with well behaved essential oils without orange, patchoulli etc. in them and no vanilla in the fragrance oils, and then goat milk at emulsion only...then it is beautiful eggshell white. Vicki

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I compared my gelled and ungelled lemongrass soap and see exactly what you mean.... I like the look of the gelled better!