White goo.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Noticed white goo, thick in and on vulva on my FF. Curiosity has gotten the better of me. What does this goo mean? Anything? No worries. Just curious about her different stages of pregnancy. Thanks.

-Kim

(Oh yes. She did NOT want to be touched. VERY vocal when I left barn this time. Strange.)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

She's coming into heat and not bred at all. :rofl :rofl :biggrin

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

VERY funny! :rofl :faint

-Kim

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You got a buck handy??? :) sorry just couldn't resist.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Sondra!! :lol Shame on you. That girl's having a hard enough time as it is. :lol It's normal Kim for them to lose some goo. Just keep watching her every day for the signs we've told you about. Now if it gets clear and strings out like a foot long rope of snot better run and get your kidding supplies ready. ;)

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Chris
    Kim knew I was razzing her /were are pm ing each other.

Kim Chris is right when that udder gets tight and the long clear string starts it is time.

7. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Kim,
    I finally got to be there when one of my does kidded. It was my first time. Believe me.......when it's time....you will know!!! I didn't think I would. With my first one 2 weeks ago I was constantly out there worrying that poor goat half to death. I kept checking ligaments and all that other yada yada yada. I wasn't even checking in the right spot!! Then I put her in the kidding pen because I just knew she was ready....well, my other doe kidded instead on the ground, not in the kidding pen. So I lived and learned and the first doe kidded two days later. Now after all that, I still didn't really know what to look for but I started feeling my other pregnant does ligaments to get a feel for they should feel like normally. So when one day I went out there and felt and it was soft, I really knew that it would be soon. So I felt her bag. It was still soft and not real big. So I felt ligaments and bag the next morning and knew she would kid soon because her bag was bigger. That evening I did it again. The next morning, again and that's when I knew she would kid that day. There was no goo. There was only the ligaments which were gone and the swollen bag.
    Believe me Kim.....you will know honey. When it's real you won't be looking for signs. you'll be looking for the best spot to watch from. Of course, she will paw the ground continuously and lay down and get up. Which is different than just trying to get comfortable. And again, you will know.
    So relax and start feeling her ligaments and her bag every morning and every evening until you know them like the back of your hand. And then you will know when there is a change.
    I have only had goats since January. So this is from one newbie to another. Hang in there......no pregnancy lasts forever, not even a goat's!! :biggrin
    Andi in OK

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl No pregnancy lasts forever? Are you sure? :rofl

Actually I've been feeling her ligaments at least twice a day as you have suggested. Her udder is still small and soft. What I really wondered this time though was educationally-wise. What is this White goo? Is it a natural lubricant? Part of her plug she passed days ago? Mucus of somesort? Just curious. Someone I e-mailed my question to told me that from the experience she has had with HER goats, Mine might go this week or weekend if she is ready. That is almost a direct quote. I guess we will see.

I have been asking WHEN a LOT lately. But this time, surprisingly, I wish to know the WHAT? :biggrin Thanks for all of your support in my first time craziness. :crazy I greatly appreciate it.

-Kim

9. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Well, then I would say it is just discharge. All pregnant mammals have it. I guess it is just more visible on the poor goat who can't cover up!! :biggrin To be honest I never saw any on my goats. Can't help ya there. Sorry.
    Andi in OK

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Like I told Kim earlier I have one goat that has this white discharge every cycle just like clock work whether she is pg or not. The first year I had her I worried my self sick the first few months as to whether she was even bred then I worried as to when was she bred and then when would she freshen and on and on Poor goat didn't have a chance. Sure enough she freshend on day 147 from first breeding. :)

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

She probably doesn't want to be touched because every time you come in the barn you squeeze her tendons and look at her hootch. :really
    if she could talk she'ld say "would you quit touching me!" :mad

12. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:rofl I don't blame her then. I'd kick me next time if I were her. :D Thanks everyone for answering my question. Appreciate it.

-Kim

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Miracle started having white goo 2 or 3 weeks before she kidded. Her dam had that too, so it may run in families. It's just a normal discharge. Kathie

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

-"What happened next time?" ....Well...She let me touch her for 1/2 second then stuffed her butt up against the wall and finished eating her grain. I figured I'd leave her in peace. (At least for now) :rofl

Did feel softer though and she kept her tail straight out most of the time I watched her. ??? I'll just look on her in a few hours. Give her a break. :D

-Kim

16. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Kim have you ever had a baby? It is normal for women to have increasing amts of vaginal discharge in teh last month or so leading up to labor. It serves a lubricative function and it stimulated by hormones increasing. Now, that is people and I know that goats are not people, but they ARE mammals and I have found a LOT of similarities.

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I wondered if it couldn't be a lubricant of some kind. Thought it made sense to me. And no I have not been blessed with a child of my own yet. You're the first one that told me about it being connected with hormones. I think that is interesting. Thanks.

(She's definitely hormonal today. :p )

-Kim