whipping 100% shea

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I tried selling all shea in a jar like I have heard some mention and people just don't go for it here. My whipped shea does sell good so I think it is purely a texture thing. Can I whip all shea like I do my shea/oil mix? Or can I melt it down then pour it into the container so it's more solid looking like a balm? I've got 6 jars labeled that I'd like to be able to use. I hate to waste anything. LOL

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I whip 100% shea..with EO or FO.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

okie dokie, I'm going to give it a try then. I have the unrefined so not sure what eo might mingle with it nicely. Maybe Lemongrass? I'd like to give it just a hint of *something*.

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Mine is unrefined too. I think fragrance is a personal thing. I dont' like citrus with it so well but a few of my customers love it! Vanilla is good, lavender is okay. I really LOVE the CS white tea and berries scent with it. Somewhere online I found a site that talked about scent that blend well with the natural smokey/nutty smell. Can't think of where I found it tho...

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I love warm vanilla sugar and deep dark patchoulli/vanilla scents with shea. By melting cocoa butter and with a steady stream in your mixer whipping it with your shea will help it from melting at such a low temp in your jars. vicki

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

UMmm, I love the vanilla, and the patchouli too!, also like pink sugar, and lavender. Frankie says the lavender whipped shea tastes good.

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I don't melt my shea at all. I just stick it in the bowl and whip it with the FO/EO. If it's Fragrance free I add a bit of hemp oil. I tried just shoving it in jars fragrance free, but they like it better whipped. There are still bits of unwhipped shea in there, but I think melting it changes the shea - it seems to be more greasy to me.

8. redskygal

redskygal New Member

Bethany,
    Do you just add the normal amount of fragrance oil - 1oz, and whip it up? Do you still add the dry-flo?

Kellyjo

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

It depends on the Eo/FO I'm using. It's usually 6-8 ml per 8 oz (by weight) shea. This will not turn out like the whipped shea recipe I posted here before. It will be far less greasy because you are not melting the shea - I swear melting it changes it and makes it more greasy - So no, I do not use the dry flo or corn starch. This will not be as light at full of air as a true whipped shea. It's pretty dense and concentrated and still has a few lumps of shea here and there.

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

:yeahthat

Bethany is right. Raw, never melted, Shea is much nicer!!

Christy

11. redskygal

redskygal New Member

Thank you, I am off to whip up a batch. This does sound a lot easier than cramming it into a container, and I do believe you are right about the melting of shea butter making it greasier.

Kellyjo

12. Huminbird

Huminbird New Member

I am interested in trying the shea whipping but where does everyone get their shea butter?

13. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

14. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Isn't shea butter melted during the extraction process?

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes. It is also melted to go into the large drums it's sold in, so most shea has been melted a few times. I do think if done at too high of heat it can cause the grainyness that Columbus Foods sometimes gets in their raw shea. Vicki

16. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I really feel like when I nuke my shea it is greasier. I know it has been melted before in extraction, but it seems like something is missing when I nuke it.

:shrug2

17. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

There is no way I can get the texture and feel of the shea back once I have melted it. If it is sold as 'raw' it has not been heated. I snagged this off the net,

...with our mechanical cold press, the nuts are crushed by a giant horizontal and conic screw that will lead the nuts to a smaller and smaller mouth, expressing the precious liquid. This is the genuine mechanical cold press. Only this method gives the guaranty of a premium quality product. All the active ingredients and vitamins are intact. Note that there is no use of heat or water and very little human manipulation. Once the butter is extracted it is put in large 25 kg (55 pounds) buckets and stored in cold chamber.

Christy

18. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Ah.....it says 'expressing the precious LIQUID'. So it is liquified in some way whether naturally or not. I'm not doubting you all say that it feels greasier. Just trying to figure out why. Do you also use the microwave, Christ? Maybe that is part of it?

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

They probably just said 'precious liquid' because they thought it sounded good.

An expeller type press is used to crush the nuts of the shea butter. The shea nuts are pushed against the metal press. The movement is similar to a meat grinder. Then the shea butter is squeezed out of the nut by pressure. The end result is Unrefined Shea Butter.

Christy

20. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Thanks for that Christy! That totally explains why it's greasier if I melt it... did you get that quote of Agbanga?