Which RX meds should i have on hand ....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I'll be going to the vet's after work and would like to know if there is anything else i should have on hand - he will already be giving me some oxytocin, Calcium and propylene glycol - what else should i have - for kidding, and just to have for when needed ? Thanks !

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would get cmpk, thiamine, dex, banamine, and maybe a syringe of lute...just in case this is what I keep on hand during this season.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, i have fortified vit. B complex - is that good instead of thiamin ? Also, dex ??? What is it and what is it used for ? Thanks !

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Get some BoSe (not MuSe) to give to kids with wiggle woggle joints and to help pump up immunity on all goats and to use pre-breeding later on. 1/4-1/2 cc SQ for kids and 1cc per 40 lbs SQ for adults.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

here's some suggestions that a real good friend of mine recommended.

If you have the Fortified B Complex. Read the back and see if it has 100mg thiamine. You can use it in polio at the rate of 4.5cc/100#'s.

Oh, geez...It would take a long list to tell what I have on hand. ?
    Main thing is two types of antibiotics-Penn G for minor/broad spectrum for major.(Bio-Mycin,Nuflor, or Naxcel)
    PAIN KILLER-Banamine or Flu-Nix....poking asprin down an already hurting goat is not fun!
    CD Antitoxin- there's nothing that replaces this when you need it!
    Tetanus Antitoxin
    Depending on the season...some things can be "muddled"through until you get to vets...but the things above are very important.
    Kaye

6. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Dex- Dexamethasone...it is for swelling and its great to have if you need it. Also if they have lots of swelling back there after kidding Prep H helps too...

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dex is our most powerful steroid. It should not be used without full knowlege of what you are doing with it and how to give a steriod series. Without it, outcomes from all neurological disease is minimal at best. vicki