Which Nubian breeder?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Katarina, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

I have to agree with you here Trisha, having had the opportunity to help get Ruthie ready for the ring, she is a great doe! But I do think my legs look pretty good next to Godiva in her Blissberry advertising.
    But we would never be caught owning a Nubian again, we are Togg lovers through and through. We don't discriminate by breed though when it comes to handling beautiful animals!

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I actually have owned all the dairy breeds, except Oberhasli and Nigerians. But, I've cut back to mostly Nubians and a few Alpines, just because they will sell the fastest. Those beautiful, long ears just catch your attention.
    Some people hate Nubians because they can be loud, but when we raised Boers, we had some that could out-scream a Nubian anyday!!!

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

I agree! Our Boer crosses were louder than any of our Nubians!

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

As far as Nubian breeders, my choices would be several breeders, Kastdemurs, Blissberry, Cam's Menagerie, Misty Hollow, and the list goes on and on. I haven't used many far off breeders as of yet and I am having nice results.

Autumn

5. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

:rofl

I assume we get an unlimited amount to spend ;) I can't afford what I want right now.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"Some people hate Nubians because they can be loud"

No kidding!!!

We were at our nextdoor neighbor's yesterday with the farrier..we each have 10 acres, and we were on teh other side of theirs, so NOT close, at all--in Houston we'd have had some 60 houses between us and them! The farrier is working on the horses and he kept looking up and cocking his head, same for our neighbors, same for me...what WAS that noise?!

Then we realised. It was a couple of first-timers panicking over being with that big ole buck. They were carrying on so bad I finally sent dd running to make sure that no one was dying! Of course they were not, just two 8 month old nubian doelings hollering their silly heads off for no real reason at all.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I hate to say it LA.... but my LM did the same thing when I put them in with the bucks...

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well if somebody else is paying the bill : ) I want a kid out of Vickies Shoo fly who's beautiful head is up there on the logo at the top of this very page! sired by either GE or Santa's lil helper, also that black saada doe ff a doe kid from her. and a Blissberry kid sired by Almost Famous out of ? Tang, or Godiva or Cruz, and Number one serious wish a Pruittville kid out of CH Pruittville's Magnolia 91EEEE sired by his little kastdemur next expedition buck, or his new blissberry buck. thats all : )

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

What she won't tell you is that our did the same thing. But then she wasn't next door with our neighbors and the farrier. ;)

Well, I am the one who is going to be paying for it and I have already been over that. But I agree, I like her! :D

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I was going to say that also Sherrie. When I get a Shoofly X Nick daughter, I want to use Tim's Blissberry buck on her for a buck for me :) He has way too much family down his road to sneak over though :) Vicki

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

You mean you can't sneak a non descript brown doeling into a pen at Tim's and then back out again without being Noticed!! strange, I could do that here and my hubby would never notice. well Except if red eye came up missing He loves that goober goat. He reminds me of Gomer Pyle,, RE not the hubby : ) Hubby reminds me of Ron Howard and Chuck Norris love child.

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Course our red haired son is the spitting image of Opie! : )

13. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

If you look at Karen Senn's breeding success, you will note the blending of three lines, Cadillac, Conquest and Frosty Marvin. She does an excellent job of using the best traits of these lines and melding them into one. Carole Rhoten owner of Magnum Semen Works and a long time Nubian breeder shared this observation with me some ten years ago. She noted that many of the National Champions were a combination of these three lines.

Purebred Acres Conquest and his sons did some great things for the Nubian breed by improving udders. It is said that sometimes the teats were a bit to the outside but the overall attachment was vastly improved. Sometimes this line was a bit short bodied.

Frosty Marvin of course improved stature, milk production and body capacity. It is said that you have to be careful using him too closely or you will get beefy type animals with heavy shoulders. Some breeders using these lines have succeeded in producing the famed "dual purpose" Nubian. Sometimes you had to watch out for steep rumps and weak chines too. Much of this has been culled out through selective breedings however. A lot of the success with Marvin came from one of his sons who passed on some of his better traits. However, don't think you can't win with goats that are heavy Marvin linebred. There have been National winners who are loaded with him in the pedigree.

The Cadillac lines were short in stature but had great general appearance, with lovely toplines. I think some of the faults in some of this line was poor breed character. One of the more recent examples from this line that won National attention was Faith Farm.

Your success with Nubians will take determination no matter what lines you choose. The gene pool is still rather large and consistentcy is not always there. You will have to be willing to cull and cull hard. Every famous buck has a certain amount of offspring that will not compete in the show ring and is more successful as a utility doe in a dairy or for a family milker. Don't try to build your herd with numbers but with quality. A goat with poor conformation takes as much care as one with good conformation. Your goal should be to breed the type or style you like. Begin with the selection of good bucks whose dam and other close relatives you absolutely adore and build your breeding program around them. Don't get discouraged at the shows because usually Nubians are highly competitive. The nice thing about this though is that you don't usually have to worry about numbers to sanction a show.

14. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Have to agree with Tim!!! I have an ADGA judge who lives within 10 miles of me. She told me that she wants to go back into some of the old lines and re-create some of the famous animals from years gone by. Everybody wants the newest, hottest, most visible right now, but there are some excellent "old" genetics out there.

15. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Maybe you can PM me and tell me who this judge is.

It is going to be difficult to re-create these old lines as most of them are mixed and melded together. The heavy use of semen from some of these 20 and 30 year old bucks could set you back in your breeding program. The breed has made quite a few improvements since the 70's and 80's. That is not to say you can't get a good animal from using these bucks, however you could lose some consistentcy.

A friend of mine was told by their appraiser to get away from the old lines she was trying to bring back because she was losing rear udder height. For example I used a 1980 buck, Gasconde SS Marksman on GCH Pruittville's E/A Strawberry who had him for a great grandsire. I lost rear udder height and also got a doe with a big dewlap under the chin - just like him. I haven't been brave enough to use him again - although I still have a few straws of his left in the tank. BTW, I am the last person that used him and that was the year, 2000.

Vicki can chime in and tell you more about how this doe developed as I only saw her as a first freshener.

16. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

:yeahthat I agree with you Tim.. everything you've mentioned about 'melting' those line together.
    And cutting those less desirable does and kids. Such a hard thing to do but oh so necessisary..
    Pays off in the long run.
    And yes.. it pays to pay attention to what the other breeders are doing.. not just to be noisy, but if your green as a cucumber,( like me) you have to learn by watching what they do, figuring out why they are breeding to what.. yada yada.
    Fun for me.. as it's all part of 'THE GOAT GAME'.. ;)
    In the end.. it's all trial and error. I sort of feel I am a big wig playing the stock market. What's up this year won't be us next year.
    But your right.. I have noticed that there are a lot of breeding taking place to Cadilac and Smooth Operator.

Rett

17. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

In my opinion what they are trying to do here is bringing size, milk production and ears to and melding them with better toplines and dairy character. Every good breeder is trying to breed the perfect goat but alas it is somewhat elusive.

18. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Really? I have a few perfect ones in my barn... you don't??? :biggrin
    :goat

Teasing ofcourse!!

19. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

I had a reservation for a kid from the same litter as that FF........that was before......well, you know. Unfortunately, I still have deposit money with them that I'll never be able to use now.

20. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I guess what I should have really asked was what bloodlines should I use not which breeder should I go to. :?

So....

If I am looking for General Appearance and dairy character I would want to look into does that have Cadillac or Price O The Field or both.

For mammaries, I should look at does with Kastdemur in them.

Body capacity would mean looking at does with Frosty Marvin bloodlines.