Which Nubian breeder?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Katarina, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

Part of my reason for choosing Vicki is that hers are some animals I have seen. I have not been exposed to a lot of different herds so my group of choices (for this question) was smaller than some of the others.

If I were gonna go close to me; SAADA and LH Mtn Vista are less than a half an hour away, so reality puts me choosing from them. And, as I am already heavy on LH Mtn I would go fo SAADA.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kate why this question anyway?? are you buying a new goat?

3. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Ummmmm....I am contemplating it.

I also was wondering where the Nubian breeders her would go. Since I highly respect what they have to say bout all goats.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WELL NOW the A2Z DAIRY GOATS will have an excellent line in a year or too. HA! which will be backed up by Miss Vicki

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Katie, it all depends on what you are looking for... and the style you are looking for.

I think there are desirable traits in every line of Nubians.

When I think of General Appearance and elegance with beautiful dairy character - I think of something that has a lot of Cadillac and/or Price O The Field
    When I think of mammaries - those perfect globular udders, I think of Kastdemur - Kastdemur and herds built on Kastdemur (Blissberry, Lakeshore Farms to name a few) is what is hot (popular) at the moment.

When I think of body capacity and size and lots of milk, I think of Frosty Marvin bloodlines. (Kismet and Rising Creek to name a few).

Any of these lines can produce does that are of National quality.

Now if you are looking for milk and some people their "thing" is milk production.
    I would go to some herds built on Sidney Chinsucker herds and/or Marvin which Chinsucker is a grandson. Also Six M Galaxy has earned their reputation on milk....

It is the goal or dream of most breeders to combine all of these characteristics in one and do it consistantly.

Usually people go for what is popular and each have had their day.
    Cadillac, Muirhill, Gasconade, Price O The Field, Frosty Marvin herds, and now Kastdemur. Each have had their moment in the limelight. Maybe you will be the great Nubian breeder in the next few years.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sorry if I'm treading off a little bit.....Duh,,,,,I just went off in la la land. :crazy

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Some questions are better for Pm's and phone calls. We are cruised by a lot of folks, who would only love to either forward a post we have written or simply the post is seen by someone we are innocently talking about. As larger breeders it's hard for Tim, Sara and Sandy to publically say things they would privately, while standing in their own barn talking bloodline. Why this type of thread is SO hard and why we moved our critique posts. When newer it's misinterperted as being cliquish, when in fact it's simply because the world of goats is very very tiny and everyone tweaks bloodlines to meld into their perfect ideal goat.

"Well Vicki said your doe is awful" has happened before with a post forwarded.

Look at the websites...you can see exactly who is breeding to whom and who is keeping what out of whom. Being one of the many buying all the goats out of bloodlines isn't smart unless you are buying what the breeder themself is using in their herd. If I breed everyone to Peter Pan and then next year all of Peter Pan's babies are gone and I keep nothing out of him, do you really want to buy something out of Peter Pan? Even if he is campaigned on all the lists as the next best thing since sliced bread? Or his one daughter misses the spotlight sale because she is CAE positive or looks like Captain Hook :)

Just saying don't expect on this type of thread to read a lot of candor. Vicki

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I understand......and with Tim, I really didn't expect him to be critical of any line, but it could still be taken the wrong way I guess.

9. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I vote with Tracy and Kaye....NONE. :biggrin

Camille

10. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

And Camille, what would make you read a Nubian thread. It's that secret desire to breed the REAL dairy goat - the NUBIAN!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :goat

11. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Isn't that the truth! and some people are better at it than others :lol I am still somewhat scattered in my approach but I think I'm starting to figure out where I want to head.

It is to bad that folks have to be defensive, I have already gotten in trouble for giving an opinion about someone elses animal. Imagine my surprise when it made the rounds and came back to bite me! I never imagined that the opinion of little ol' me would even matter-what do I know!! I'm still learning. I try to preface everything I say now with " I prefer..." After all different things appeal to each of us. I am discovering that it matters less to me what "they" think about my goats. I have to live with them, look at them, and milk them-so I am out to please myself ;)

Tim I loved your post!

12. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

Well.....I will admit I have been reading this thread with interest as I am familiar with most everybody mentioned via websites, but.... here's the good part....I was really interested to see what saanen/sable breeder names were brought up.

I kept thinking gee whiz there are a lot of nubian lovers here.....then I re-read the thread name (NUBIAN BREEDERS) :yeahthat

Gosh.... :needcoffee

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:peepwall Well, Tim...my excuse is: When any post gets as many hits as this one..I just gotta' be nosey. Hhhmmm...might be something I NEED to know. :laughcry :laughcry
    :blush
    Kaye

14. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I did not expect it to get this many hits! I should have known other wise, But I really didn't. :shrug2

15. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:goat woohoo Tim.!

16. wheytogosaanens

Hey now! Just because I am so partial to Saanens doesn't mean I can't appreciate a pretty
    Nubian!
    And ANY thread with intelligent discussion about breeding - different styles, linebreeding, slower to mature lines, etc. will always be AVIDLY read by me. I figure that much of the information can generally be applied to any breed.

I'm addicted, what can I say. :)

Camille

17. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Addicted to goats or reading? :D

18. Well, I like nubians, but I don't show and probably don't want to know all the horror. I do love their demeaner. I would love to breed our nubs with Galloping Goats Cactus, but I don't can't afford that lol. And I don't know what I'm looking for so please don't laugh but I think Cactus is a very handsome fellow and would service our xenophen just nicely.

19. goatkid

goatkid New Member

There are so many nice Nubians out there, that it would be hard to pick just one herd. Some of my bloodlines go back to Kastdemur, Saada. Lonesome Doe and Lynnhaven, yet I have not bought goats from these breeders as of yet. They come from a couple of friends who use those lines. I am seriously thinking of buying my next herdsire from Saada. What my mentors have told me is the importance of buying animals that go well with your lines to give you the improvement you want. The reason I am thinking of Saada is that they show at two of the same shows that I do and I can sit down with Laura and go over pedigrees and see what might improve my herd.

20. wheytogosaanens

Actually I meant addicted to goats, but I am guilty of being addicted to reading.
    I'd read the label off the Ketchup bottle if there wasn't anything else! :)

Camille
    (New ulterior motive for this chit-chat....need more posts for the sale page.) :lol ;)