Which mineral is better?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Dec 23, 2008.

1. I don't really have many types available to purchase. Is the KENT better then Rural King or vise versa?
    Here's the guaranteed analysis for the KENT

Calcium Min/Max. 16.2% & 19.4%
    Phosphorus min. 8.0%
    Salt Min/Max. 21.5% &25.8%
    Potassium min. 0.1%
    Copper min. 1000ppm
    Manganese min. 3500ppm
    Selenium min. 40ppm
    Zinc min. 3500ppm
    Vit. A min 300000IU/lb
    Vit. D3, min. 70000IU/lb
    Vit. E min. 500IU/lb

And this is the Rural King Goat Mineral
    [​IMG]

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I feel your pain on not having much to choose from.

Do you have ingredients on the first one? The salt is kind of high (same with my mineral). I really don't like the ingredients on the second mineral, and what the heck is "synthetic red iron oxide"? How do you make fake iron? Only one type of copper, copper sulfate.

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Ok, I found the Kent Goat mineral info, but the analysis is a little different, so I don't know if it is a newer label or if yours is maybe not their goat mineral.

Here is a link to it: http://www.kentfeeds.com/getdoc/31d2c72f-2bea-4c7e-ae80-ea5468b786ce/7770-pdf.aspx

Anyway, I don't like it at all, it has animal fat way up on the list, and ethoxiquin and bht , I don't even give my dogs foods with that in it. It must be to preserve the fat. This mineral also has only copper sulfate.

Sorry to be so negative :?

Do you have an Orsheln's near? They have their own brand of goat mineral and it doesn't seem to be half bad to me. My goats even like it.

4. I didn't have the ingredient list. I didn't know that was on the website.

Thanks for posting the link. And your opinion. I may just stick with the rural king mineral then. And no I don't think we have an Orsheln near...

Thanks again :)

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't want to feed the first one, but if that really was my only choice I would feed it over all the iron in the second one. But is iron a problem in Indiana? See....having someone in Texas answer this is kind of moot...What is Sherrie C feeding, what mineral has she found? Or someone else in Indiana perhaps near you? Vicki

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

You could also contact your feed store and "request" that they bring in the type of mineral your looking ofr. Alot of times, they will go the extra mile. I use a sweetlix product and my goats like it fine. But, you can buy the best and most expensive, but some may not eat it? I know a goat guy over here who can't get his goats to eat it. He says he refils only a few times a year?!

7. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

I'm curious about the Kent as well. I bought a bag because the guys at the feed store insisted that it wasn't red, and then when I opened the bag, sure enough it was. So, I haven't been feeding it. I have been feeding my goats my horse minerals from Dynamite--they get three free choice options--mineralized salt, a mineral called izmine, and a grey powdery calcium and phosphorus supplement (1:1 ratio). They seem to like all three and I offer them kelp and sometimes BOSS as kind of a treat. They suck those down when it is offered. But I do worry that they're not getting enough copper. Sigh....

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

look for a dairy cow mineral or a good horse mineral and contact Sherri

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

We have bad Iron in Indiana, Sherrie's been using Manna pro mineralCrude Protein
    Min
    4.00%

(This includes not more than 4.0% equivalent crude protein from non-protein nitrogen)

Calcium
    Min
    16.00%

Calcium
    Max
    19.20%

Phosphorus
    Min
    8.00%

Salt
    Min
    12.00%

Salt
    Max
    14.40%

Potassium
    Min
    1.50%

Magnesium
    Min
    1.50%

Copper
    Min
    1350 PPM

Manganese
    Min
    2750 PPM

Zinc
    Min
    5500 PPM

Selenium
    Min
    12 PPM

Vitamin A
    Min
    300,000 IU/LB

Vitamin D3
    Min
    30,000 IU/LB

Vitamin E
    Min
    400 IU/LB

MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SALT, DISTILLERS DRIED GRAINS WITH SOLUBLES, CANE MOLASSES, VEGETABLE OIL, YEAST CULTURE, AMMONIUM CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM AMINO ACID COMPLEX, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, MAGNESIUM AMINO ACID CHELATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, FERROUS SULFATE, FERROUS CARBONATE, COPPER SULFATE, COPPER AMINO ACID CHELATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, MANGANESE AMINO ACID CHELATE, ZINC OXIDE, ZINC SULFATE, ZINC AMINO ACID CHELATE, COBALT CARBONATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIA, DRIED ENTEROCOCCUS FAECIUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLIUS CASEI, DRIED LACTOBACILLIUS ACIDOPHILLUS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED LACTOBACILLUS PLANTARUM FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED BACILLUS SUBTILLUS FERMENTATION PRODUCT, DRIED ASPERGILLUS ORYZAE FERMENTATION EXTRACT, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.

FEED MANNA PRO GOAT MINERAL AT THE RATE OF ¼ TO ½ OUNCE PER GOAT PER DAY. IF GOAT MINERAL IS OFFERED FREE CHOICE, DAILY CONSUMPTION MUST BE MONITERED AND THE LOCATION OF THE MINERAL FEEDER MANAGED TO OBTAIN THE DESIRED ¼ TO ½ OUNCE DAILY FEEDING RATE. USE MANNA PRO GOAT MINERAL AS THE ONLY SOURCE OF FREE CHOICE SALT. PROVIDE PLENTY OF FRESH, CLEAN WATER AT ALL TIMES.

But I've been trying to find a feed coop to get in some "Cargil"? Isnt' that what Sara at Blissberry uses. I've been so busy I forgot to call around.

10. Sherrie, Is the Manna Pro in a bag that is kinda orange and some other colors, the mineral itself isn't the usual red kind?

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

[​IMG]

its grey like cat litter

12. Are you satisfied with that mineral, (given our slim options in minerals...)?

I tried it, the girls liked it and ate it but I didn't see any improvements when I switched minerals. How long do you normally have to feed them to see any improvements?

I think I fed it for a month or two....I can't remember, that was a while back.

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

no, the first bag I tried they ate it right down the next bag looked a little different. They Haven't since been real enthusiastic about it. And the bags seem to differ in their consistency. But unless I can get fremont co-op to order in Cargil Dairy, it is the best mineral I can get my hands on.

14. Ok, what is the Cargil Dairy? Got any links with info on it?

15. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I am using the same thing. The stuff in the orange bag. It's the best I can find and I have been using it for about 4 months. I do remember my goats being really shiny on the Rural King mineral but not so much on this one. It looks good on paper but I am not seeing an improvement over the Rural King minerals.

I know our show goats used to shine like pennies as soon as we shaved them off. Never had to use show sheen at a show or else you couldn't look at them LOL .... But that was when we were using golden blend goat mnerals.

I don't really want to change anything at this point but that Mana Pro mineral is EXPENSIVE! I know it's the brand name. I can't seem to find any loose horse minerals around here either or I would go that way. I may end up ordering another bucket of Golden blend. I just don't want to pay that much. :(

16. That's why I feed Rural King Mineral. It's cheaper...And the Manna Pro didn't do anything for my goats so I thought Why spend extra money on something that doesnt work.

17. NubianSoaps.com

I don't think you have fed any of the minerals through a season...from breeding through breeding again to know what is working and what isn't. Herd health like this is slow to improve and most of it is in the form of easier kiddings, stable lactations, less feet problems, no mastitis, etc....not seen with the naked eye. The manna pro is an excellent mineral with probitoics, yeasts, more than just copper sulfate as your form of copper which is huge....any red mineral is going to give you copper sulfate, which we know can only be fed in minimal amounts before hurting rumen flora, so a 1350 ppm of copper sulfate isn't anywhere near as good a mineral as the same with two or more forms of copper in it. There are no quick bullets, other than bolusing and even then it's long term use and using it every 6 months to really see improvmenet that isn't just coat. Vicki

18. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

I've been using the Manna Pro, too. It is the best I could find already stocked (going to check with the local elevator on what they can get me). I remember reading that a mineral is only good if they'll eat it... I've had my two doelings for 3 months and they've barely put a dent in the bag--just a few cups. ??? How much mineral should they be eating?

19. NubianSoaps.com

My kids don't eat alot of minerals Denise, it's why I started bolusing them for copper. Not until they are heavy bred do they start consuming minerals...no idea why because when putting in posts they will eat the red dirt out of the holes and lick the cement when it's poured! vicki

20. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

I copied and pasted this from a post of Sondra's:

Cargill Onyx Mineral
    Guaranteed Analysis

Calcium -------- Min. 11.5 Max. 12.5
    Phosphorus ---- Min. 10.0
    Salt ----------- Min 11.5 Max 12.5
    Sodium -------- Min 4.8 Max 5.5
    Magnesium ---- Min. 3.0
    Potassium ----- Min. 2.0
    Copper -------- Min. 2,000 PPM
    Iodine --------- Min. 60 PPM
    Selenium ------ Min 30 PPM
    Zinc ---------- Min. 4,500 PPM
    Vitamin A ----- 111,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin D ----- 11,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin E ----- Min 110 IU/LB

Ingredients:

Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloried, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenodiamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucohaptonate, Processed Grain ByProducts, Molasses Products, Animal Fat, Vegetable Oil.

Compared to Blue Bonnet Tech Master Complete (Which Vicki uses)

Bluebonnet® 1552
    Tech-Master
    Complete Mineral
    Modern Mineral Supplement For Beef & Dairy Cattle, Horses & Goats
    -Guaranteed Analysis-

Calcium________________Minimum 10.00%; Maximum__________________ 12.00%
    Phosphorus____________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 12.00%
    Salt___________________Minimum 10.00%; Maximum__________________ 12.00%
    Magnesium____________________Minimum______________ ____________ 2.35%
    Potassium_____________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 1.45%
    Copper________________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 2,000 ppm
    Selenium______________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 26.5 ppm
    Zinc__________________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 6,000 ppm
    Manganese____________________Minimum______________ ____________ 3,500 ppm
    Cobalt________________________Minimum_____________ _____________ 50 ppm
    Iodine_________________________Minimum____________ ______________ 100 ppm
    Vitamin A______________________Min. Per Lb.________________________ 200,000 I.U.
    Vitamin D3_____________________Min. Per Lb.________________________ 30,000 I.U.
    Vitamin E _____________________Min. Per Lb. _______________________ 300 I.U.

-Ingredients-

Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dried Molasses, Yeast Culture, Dehydrated Kelp Meal, Potassium Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium
    Amino Acid Chelate, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Lecithin, Soybean Oil, Mineral
    Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride,
    Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide.

-Product Description-
    Bluebonnet® Tech-Master Complete Mineral is designed to provide calcium, phosphorus, vitamins and patented amino acid chelated trace minerals as well as micronutrients from seaweed meal (kelp) plus microbial digestive catalysts.

-Feeding Directions-
    Cattle & Horses: Feed 4 ozs. of Tech-Master Complete Mineral per head daily. Do not feed any other source of salt when feeding 4 ozs. per head per day.

Goats: Feed 1 oz. per head daily. DO NOT offer any other salt source.

NOTE: Provide plenty of fresh, clean water at all times. Keep product fresh in cool, dry storage. DO NOT use any product that becomes old, molded or insect contaminated.

DO NOT FEED TO SHEEP OR OTHER COPPER SENSITIVE ANIMALS.
    Bluebonnet® Feeds
    PO Box 2006 • Ardmore, OK 73402 • (580) 223-3010
    email: [email protected] www.bluebonnetfeeds.com
    NET WT. 50 LBS. (22.7 Kg.)

This is what the elevator can get me--they carry Hubbard:

http://www.hubbardfeeds.com/specialty/ProdInfo/TraditionGoatMineral.aspx?menu=Goats

Nutrient Analysis
    Calcium (Ca), min 14.6%
    Calcium (Ca), max 17.5%
    Phosphorus (P), min 7.0%
    Salt (NaC1), min 20.0%
    Salt (NaC1), max 24.0%
    Copper (Cu), min 1,500 ppm
    Copper (Cu), max 1,800 ppm
    Selenium (Se), min 26.0 ppm
    Vitamin A, min 200,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin D, min 40,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E, min 400 IU/lb

Ingredients
    Monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, processed grain by-products, zinc amino acid chelate, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, magnesium oxide, molasses products, vegetable oil, zinc oxide, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D supplement, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast, brewers yeast, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, anise flavor, cobalt carbonate.

Does anyone else use this or can tell me how it compares?

The thread that I copied Sondra's post from was talking about iron in water. Our water is orange/red. :( Guess I need to check into getting a filter. <sigh>