which milking machine should I order ...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark woodwyfe, Jan 28, 2008.

1. My hands have had ENOUGH (and I still have 5 more does due to freshen in the next couple months)... So.. I am whipping out MR. CREDIT card.. I've got the new Hoegger catalog ... on pg 14 is the Hoegger's deluxe 2-goat milking system (it had a belly Pail system) free shipping..$1749.00.... OR .... how about the one from Hamby's? advertisied is their 2 goat milker, 6 gal ss with HD vaccum supply.. on sale for $1795 (shipping is $137.00) .... HELP!!! which to order (or neither???) I've NEVER used a machine, also just my hands.. hands say, they will NOT being doing that again this year for so many does... I hope to place my order this evening.. so any help is greatly apprectiated.
    susie, mo ozarks

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I have a Hoegger 2 goat system, have been using it for 4 years now,and love it. It came all ready to use, which was good for me who had never used a milking machine before. Clean up is as easy as cleaning any ss milk bucket. On DHI test day each doe's milk is separate and so easier to weigh. However, the belly pails are one-and-a-half gallon capacity, and in the Spring when all your goats are giving their maximum amount, you still have to empty the pails after each goat so you won't overflow the buckets. In later lactation you can milk more than one goat before emptying the pail to save a little time as long as you keep track of how much milk is accumulating in there.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I have the 2 goat milking machine from Hoegger too. and I love the simplicity of the machine and the easy clean-up!

4. the small bucket was my main concern on the Hoegger's system. I had a couple does that are milking a bit over a gallon each in the morning.. and right around 6lbs at night. I was thinking about ordering a ss tote or two, to be able to empty and continue. I guess I'd have to also make sure and pair a ff or something, with the heavier milking does, so we don't have to much for the bucket... thanks for the info... I do like the idea of eary clean-up (watch the neighbors' clean-up after they milk the jerseys.. it's a lot and it's some BIG ol' buckets to haul LOL) OH... speaking of cows, does anyone know if I would be able to use it on the Jersey (will know tomorrow if her Ai took) I know I'll need a bigger bucket for her.. that's what got me looking at the Hamby milkers.
    susie

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

6. Truly

Truly New Member

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know in asking around everywhere the Caprine system, caprinesupply.com was overwhelmingly given the nod over the Hoegger systems. Not just for farm use but for bringing them to shows.

If you can wait for Chris Martin (info on goatkeeping 101) I would go with him and save half your money. Vicki

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'd love a milking machine. My friend has one, but it seems to be hard to keep running, unlike the commercial milker she used when she had the dairy. My problem is being able to afford one like the nice one in the Hoeggers catalog. Maybe I should check Ebay.

9. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I have the Caprine Supply system one for home use, and a Chris Martin machine (Thanks Vicki!) for shows. I used my Caprine system for home and shows all last year. I bought mine used, and I love it!

I had thought about the Hoegger system, but I wasn't sure if I would like the Belly pail (especially with Nigerians).

Ken

10. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

You definitely won't be able to use the Hoegger system to milk a cow. Not sure of the caprine system. Much cheaper just to put one together yourself. Check out partsdeptonline.com they have some very nice systems if you want to spend the money and he'll also talk you through any parts you may need and for cleaning parts.

11. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

The Hoegger pump will milk a cow, but you would need to get a cow bucket. We have some friends who milked a Jersey, for a friend, with their Hoegger machine. The lady brought them her Surge belly pail, with pulsator and inflations. Since the Surge bucket has a pulsator on it, all they had to do was remove the fuse to the pulsator on the machine and switch the pulsator to 40 instead of 60. Could all be switched over in a matter of a few minutes. Would also work with a 5 gallon DeLaval bucket and pulsator.

12. mirrorjranch

mirrorjranch New Member

I bought a rebuilt system from Mr. Perry on ebay about 2 years ago. I have been very satisfied with my system.

13. Thank you all for the info, thoughts, suggestions. Chris (Coso) has come to my rescue LOL. He is going to BUILD me a custom, made to order milker. :crazy.... He agrees that I need a larger bucket then the Hoegger's system (I have one doe that will more then fill that bucket on her own.. He says I'll hate having to stop and dump, stop & dump) SO.. Chris will be doing all the hard stuff (I'll just write the checks LOL) We're looking at building something large enough for 4 does, that will also milk the cows. I've put off and put off getting a machine, simply because I was so clueless... now, someone who knows all about them and is more then willing to help... oh yeah.. we be joining the *modern ages* LOL
    susie

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations!!

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

This is the system we bought and milked 75 head with for two years. I *love* it and its very reasonable. He will also work with you to figure whats best for your situation. Like for us, he set up two buckets with four lines and claws attached to each bucket. So we could milk four does at a time. I will reccomend this guy to anyone. Susie, I know you already are getting set up, but this info may come in handy for someone else. :D

http://www.portablemilkers.com/catalog/item/1576325/2650028.htm

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would not pay a $1 for surge cans (they are pretty for decoration in the dairy), surge pulsators, black lines or stainless shells with black inflations. Use it for a year then you would want to upgrade to silicone, a Delval style can and Interpulse pulsator. Figure most of this is rebuilt 1950's stuff! For half that money you can have things made from this year :) Sort of like trying to play on an ole Apple computer! I was happy with my ole Surge setup until I went and milked for a freind with his new setup....going home to mine was like working with a toy. Vicki

17. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

He will put it together with whatever you want. ;)

18. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I actually like my Surge bucket and pulsator. I use a narrow bore sure inflation as well (but clear milkline). I also like the NuPulse claws as well.

19. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I just ordered the Caprine Supply one yesterday.

Christian and I talked about him making one - he's very handy - but we decided that for right now, having one we know is tested and will work makes sense. We figure we can always build a second one and/or sell this one, but being able to just plug it in and go is VERY appealing after all the other work we've put into the dairy. ...and we're still not quite done with that - grey water system is next.

I'll post update photos n O/T, but the kitchen is almost complete. Still need some S/S work tables and a stove.

20. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Ok I am bringing this back up. I am on the market for a milking machine. FINALLY! LOL...I can't spend TONS of money right now but I am bouncing back and forth between these two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...kparms=algo=SI&its=I&itu=CR%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=42

http://www.portablemilkers.com/catalog/item/1576325/2650028.htm

I know emily has the last one. Is it very easy to use? I have no experience what so ever with milking machines so something easy would be great :lol. The cheaper the better. I want to get one already put together with everything with it since I have no clue how they run or how to put them together :lol. Has anyone ever tried the one on ebay? How do people like it?

Justine