Which Dairy Goat Association?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Twillingate Farm, Apr 1, 2008.

1. I've just acquired my first Toggenburgs since 1989 (used to raise Nubians then Boers and wish to go dairy again) and since they are registered does, I suspect I should have my ownership recorded such that next years doelings will be more sale-able based upon future recorded bloodlines. I have no idea which dairy goat association would be most appropriate since I don't intend to show the animals and am merely interested in herd improvement.
    Can anyone give me some reasons to join one or another of the available organizations?

Thanks
    Allan

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Re: Which Dairy Dog Association?

I assume yours are all purebred? The AGS will not register Americans. The ADGA is the one that has a breeding up program that will allow one to breed up to American standard by breeding to purebred (b)ucks. ADGA also registers purebreds. ADGA is by far the most progressive registry in the dairy (g)oat industry.

I will be glad when this April fooling is over with. :rofl

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat
    Which Assn. are the Toggs registered with?
    Kaye

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep that was going to be my question because you will most likely have to chg them to the association they are registered with now. Then make chgs if you want to .

5. Re: Which Dairy Dog Association?

They are currently registered with the ADGA. I recall reading in a distant past post that the ADGA is pro-NAIS. If that is true, I'll not be joining the ADGA.

Allan

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You can still reg the goats without joining I don't know their status on NAIS

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Before you decide, read ADGA's website and this site: it gives you the information your looking for.
    http://adga.org/faq-nais.html

I register with ADGA because of the programs offered:testing,LA,shows, sire summaries, doe & buck performance programs, and the saleability of ADGA reg. animals. That's my reasons and has NOTHING to do with NAIS.

Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Your simply shooting yourself in the foot not registering with ADGA, not using the programs etc.

And honestly those who talk ugly about ADGA and join some other fly by night assoc...do they rip up their ADGA paperwork, stop selling registered kids? No, they simply sell them without registering themselves...not much of a stand if you ask me! Vicki

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

ADGA is by far the most common dairy goat registry, except for Nigerians maybe but that's probably because ADGA didn't recognize them as a breed until a couple years ago. I wouldn't even consider any other association. I wouldn't be buying "registered" stock unless it was ADGA registered either.

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Sheez, I didn't even KNOW there was another association!!!

I just joined so I can start up my new herd and be all official, plus there's a lot of information and perks there too.

BTW how soon will I hear from them - been about 5 days I think. I was thinking I would get and email or something, but I haven't...

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You should hear something soon....remember this is the busiest time of year for them..reg. kids.

I'd say if you don't hear something in about 2 wks. give them a call. Much easier to deal with problems over the phone than e-mails. ;)
    Kaye

12. Thanks folks,
    I guess everybody has an opinion on this so I'll think it over and probably join the ADGA. It's not that money speaks louder than principles for me but rather that if the kids aren't sold then they'll be slaughtered for meat. That sort of negates any work done to improve breed. Thanks again.

Allan