Which antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Feb 7, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Can you tell I am finally doing a med list? :blush2
    I had no idea that antibiotics are really not that expensive. Which ones should I have on hand?
    PropenG?
    LA200?
    If I ever need help I'll be asking here first because I haven't found a goat vet local, so tell me what you use most!
    Kidding is just around the corner so I need to think about possible uterine flushes as well.
    Just as a reference I have 3 bred does and 2 bucks here and a relatively limited budget. ;) Give me essentials and optional choices, please.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I keep PEN G / Oxytectracyline (LA200) but get the knock off doesn't sting and Tylan 200 (not the same as LA200) plus naxel (rx item)on hand but intend to get gentaminicine (RX) also

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep get the pen g and Biomycin as it dont sting like LA200 it burns...believe me I know...its a fire you cant cool off if you stick yourself. I also keep Nuflor but it is pricey and its good but I only use it if nothing else helps. I keep it mainly for my cattle, but have used it on my goats with a b shot also.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have Penn G, Biomycin, Nuflor and Ecxenel. I like having a selection of meds on hand. My vet is pretty good and, if we can figure out the problem by phone, he'll just tell me which meds to give. This saves me lots on vet bills. They are very busy at his office, so he doesn't mind doing this, and sells me bottles of the meds I need.

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I found Agrimycin 200 (200mg oxytetracycline per ml just like LA200 and Biomycin 200) a bit cheaper than the Biomycin but marked IM instead of IM or SQ.
    Is the Agrimycin ok? No sting?

BTW!!! thanks for all your help!!!

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Make sure your Penn-G is water based...Aqua Penn,
    Bio-mycin is the only one that doesn't sting. It's the carriers that burn...not the actual med.
    Bio-Mycin (+ sterile water,saline and *in a bind case*-distilled water) can also be used in uterine flushes....any 200mg/ml oxytetracycline.
    BANAMINE....is a must. (Rx item) but ask for Flu-Nix or Prevail ~ same drug,same mg/ml, but cheaper because of the Banamine trademark.
    FORTIFIED B-COMPLEX if you're not getting Rx-Thiamine.

Oh, geez...I'm not even going to start listing what I keep on hand. The Feds. would be down on me! :lol But, my goat vet is in New Mexico and I don't trust the ones around here. :really
    Kaye

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I am also going thru my med list and redoing my notes on meds like I am on my wormer page :blush. There are just a few of the drugs that I use over and over for the problems that I have had , I bought a sm. fridge for meds, I love Penn G as I can give it to my goats and my cat, Tylan 200 as it does wonders for pneumonia and respiratory, Banimine and others..Sometimes when I am out of the drug that I use or I cant get old faithful , I try a new drug that I haven't tried like Bio-Mycin that I heard was good so I add it to my med list anyway and I will be ready with it's uses and dosage but some of the drugs I just dont add to my list as when I go to my med list,I have a problem,I want a short and sweet list for symptoms that I have and I dont want to go thru the med list reading and hunting thru my notes that look like a Jeffers catalogue so I keep 2 lists.. one short heavy used list for what I use and 1 for the long everything that is posted here for it's use and dose amounts for just in case problems . I write the dose amounts on the bottle but not on the drug name with perminate ink and put a wide strip of clear tape over it so the letters hopefully wont wipe off .
    Kaye :rofl